Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm

mGBA's HLE of SGB enhancements is no problem.
Sonicjan

Post by Sonicjan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm
Sonicjan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Wait, is there a patch to give GBA games a GBP-Enhancement (Rumble)? If so, would this also work with GBC games that are converted into GBA games through that Goomba Color Emulator? (Just a thought that came up quickly)
You can recompile Goomba Color with Game Boy Player enhancements enabled to enable rumble.
Oh, nice! And how can you do that? Is there some kind of guide, I could use or are there already ROMs of such games to download and use with a flash-card? :D
Sonicjan

Post by Sonicjan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Sonicjan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:56 pm
Extrems wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:19 pm
Sonicjan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:45 pm
Wait, is there a patch to give GBA games a GBP-Enhancement (Rumble)? If so, would this also work with GBC games that are converted into GBA games through that Goomba Color Emulator? (Just a thought that came up quickly)
You can recompile Goomba Color with Game Boy Player enhancements enabled to enable rumble.
Oh, nice! And how can you do that? Is there some kind of guide, I could use or are there already ROMs of such games to download and use with a flash-card? :D
Nothing?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 pm

You don't download special ROMs. All of the features are described in the wiki.
Sonicjan

Post by Sonicjan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm

:ugeek:
Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 pm
Which wiki exactly? I'm new to the GBI and Goomba Color...

Do you have a link?
GizmoTheGreen

Post by GizmoTheGreen » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Sonicjan wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:46 pm
:ugeek:
Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:51 pm
Which wiki exactly? I'm new to the GBI and Goomba Color...

Do you have a link?
use google or your favorite search engine.

"gameboy interface wiki" - First result
"goomba color" first 3-4 result look quite relevant.
Weario

Post by Weario » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I recently got the Carby adapter to play GameCube games on hdmi.
The best thing about hdmi (for me) is that it allows my tv to set the picture to 'just scan' to eliminate overscan (Which I can't do on component or composite).

So now I am using GBI SR with the following aparameters:

Code: Select all

--zoom=2:3
--format=size=568
--scan-mode=progressive
--no-overlay
--scaler=nearest
--matrix=identity
--sound=digital
--no-enhance
--delay-video=0
And it looks really nice! There is no more overscan and the picture quality is quite nice.

I'm currently waiting for Insurrection Industries to post their guide on how to update gcvideo so I can update to version 4.2b.
I mainly chose Carby because it allows updating using JTAG, but I unfortunatly have never done anything with JTAG so I don't know where to begin. =P
Meanwhile, this is my go-to way for playing Gameboy games, GBI is fantastic. =D
Sonicjan

Post by Sonicjan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:18 pm

Hey, me again ^^

One question:
Would it be possible to play WarioWare Twisted with the GBP when inserting a flash card into the GBP and the actual game card into a GBA, that is connect to the Gamecube?

I know that you can use cards like the DS Rumble Pak with a GBA connected to the Gamecube, thanks to the GB Interface, but what about motion controls? And would it be possible to use the DS Motion Pack aswell?
Since it should fit into a GBA aswell...

I really hope that there is an option for that aswell! :D
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 am

It's theoretically possible.
Sonicjan

Post by Sonicjan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 am
It's theoretically possible.
That's at least something!
Would there be a possinility to include that feature in a future update? There also more games to use an accelometer and it would also be nice for possible homebrew games :)
omikes

Post by omikes » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 am

Weario wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:20 pm
I'm currently waiting for Insurrection Industries to post their guide on how to update gcvideo so I can update to version 4.2b.
I mainly chose Carby because it allows updating using JTAG, but I unfortunatly have never done anything with JTAG so I don't know where to begin. =P
UPDATE: Insurrection Industries posted their own official instructions now. Their instructions pretty much require that you have Windows 7. If you don't have Windows 7, my instructions will work with any operating system that can run VirtualBox (Windows 10, Mac OS X, any modern Linux distribution). You can find their guide here: https://insurrectionindustries.com/carb ... re-update/

I was able to update my Carby with no prior JTAG experience after days of trial and error. Perhaps I can help.

Things you'll need -
A cheap Chinese JTAG programmer will do the trick, I used this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201540354531
You can use this custom VirtualBox image I made for this guide:
http://omik.es/jtag.7z (1.1GB)
This image includes GCVideo version 3.0e. You can check if there is a newer version at https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/releases. If you want a different version, don't skip steps 12 through 14 below.

Installation steps -
1. Open the Carby with your fingers carefully by shimmying it open while pulling the top and bottom apart. If you can't shimmy it open, try prying at the crevice with a small flat-head screwdriver or sharp edge of something. Do this over a soft surface as it may pop out suddenly. This is the hardest step.
2. Plug the JTAG programmer into the Carby (heres a picture of how it should look: http://omik.es/cable.jpg, edit: one user had a different looking connection - his working setup looked like this: https://imgur.com/a/rjjTe7H ).
3. Plug the Carby into a Gamecube.
4. Turn on the Gamecube.
5. Plug the JTAG programmer into your computer via USB.
6. Install and open VirtualBox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads then click "New", type any name, select Linux, Ubuntu 32bit and then 1024 MB ram.
7. For Hard Disk choose "Use an existing virtual hard disk file" and click on the folder, navigate to and select jtag.vmdk, which is inside jtag.7z above, click Create.
8. Click Settings, click the USB tab, click the USB icon with a green plus on the right, select XILINX and click OK.
*Edit: Click the USB icon again. If there are any other devices with Xilinx in the name, add them as well. My JTAG only had the one called XILINX, so if there are no other devices with Xilinx in the name, you should be good to go.*
9. Click Start to start the VM and wait for Ubuntu to start up.
10. Wait a moment for iMPACT to open automatically.
11. If you are trying to install 3.0e, skip to 15.
12. Click on the Firefox shortcut on the left, download the latest version of GCVideo. The GCVideo downloads page is the homepage on Firefox. You'll need the shuriken-v3-gc one. Extract the files to a folder.
13. Bring the flashing software back up and click on the small FLASH rectangle to select it, click on the ⋮ button in the toolbar above, select the .mcs file from the folder you extracted the files to.
14. Select SPI PROM and M25P40 then click OK.
15. Click on the small rectangle that says FLASH to select it.
16. Some options with green arrows should be on the left, double click on the one that says Program.
If the software does not recognize your cable, try unplugging the usb cable and plug it back in. Your pc may make a few 'device connected, disconnected, etc.' sounds. When it stops doing that (or after waiting about 30 seconds). try double clicking 'program' again.
17. Once it is finished programming, turn off the Gamecube, unplug the JTAG from the Carby, and test it out. It should now be on the updated firmware.

There may well be a better way to do all of this, but I figured I'd post this for you since I searched the internet pretty thoroughly for information on how to do this and found very little. Hopefully Insurrection Industries releases an easier guide to follow than mine, but if you are in the mood for an adventure, give it a shot.

Sorry that was long, I tried to put it in a spoiler box, but in the preview at least the spoiler won't expand. Not sure why.

Special thanks to neworion1 for the alternate jtag photos and adjustment to step 6.
Special thanks to Weario for the solution to the multiple Xilinx devices issue.
Last edited by omikes on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:40 am, edited 25 times in total.
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:44 pm

omikes wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:50 am
Weario wrote:
I was able to update my Carby with no prior JTAG experience after days of trial and error. Perhaps I can help a bit.

After trying various versions of the software for the JTAG programmer, called "Xilinx's ISE Design Suite", I was finally successful using version 14.1. You can download it for free from Xilinx's website (it requires you to register during installation, which is free):
https://www.xilinx.com/support/download ... chive.html
This version of the software only worked for me in an old 32 bit Windows XP SP2 VM I used. Here's some instructions on how to set one up:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12183/h ... windows-7/
You also need the latest shuriken-v3-gc version of GCVideo:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/releases

Installation steps I took were -
1. I plugged the JTAG programmer into my laptop via USB.
2. I passed through the USB device named "XILINX" to the Windows XP virtual machine via the USB tab of that virtual machine's settings in VirtualBox.
3. I placed the GCVideo files and the installation files for Xilinx ISE Design Suite on a USB thumbdrive, and passed that USB device to the Windows XP virtual machine as well.
4. I started up the Windows XP VM and installed Xilinx ISE Design Suite.
5. I popped the Carby open with my fingers carefully by shimmying it open. This took quite a few minutes. Basically just pull the front and bottom away from each other as best you can while shifting it.
6. I plugged the deshelled Carby into a Gamecube.
7. I plugged the JTAG programmer into the Carby (I guessed and checked the rotation of the JTAG ports, guessed wrong several times and didn't hurt anything, just try each side of the JTAG connection cable backwards and forwards until iMPACT recognizes one).
8. I turned on the Gamecube.
9. I opened iMPACT, which is one of the programs that is installed with Xilinx ISE Design Suite.
10. I followed these directions starting from where he's already in iMPACT:
https://assemblergames.com/threads/gcvi ... ost-916738
(if your Carby isn't detected, turn off the Gamecube, unplug the JTAG from the USB, and rotate one of the JTAG connection cable's ports)
11. Once you've completed step 10 successfully, turn off the Gamecube, unplug the JTAG from the Carby, and test it out. It should show firmware 2.4b.

There may well be a better way to do all of this, but I figured I'd post this for you since I searched the internet pretty thoroughly for information on how to do this and found very little. Hopefully Insurrection Industries releases an easier guide to follow than mine, but if you are in the mood for an adventure, give it a shot.

Sorry that was long, I tried to put it in a spoiler box, but in the preview at least the spoiler won't expand. Not sure why.
All versions of GBI works better with 2.4b?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 pm

All GameCube software look better with 2.4b.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm

omikes wrote:
Spoilers have been broken for a while and I haven't been able to catch emu_kidid's attention on the matter.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Extrems wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:57 pm
mGBA's HLE of SGB enhancements is no problem.
Cool. I take it it's theoretically possible to use the SGB boot rom for the SGB menus, and play 16-bit SGB mode Space Invaders?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:00 pm

I said HLE, not LLE.
Weario

Post by Weario » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm

omikes wrote:
Weario wrote:
I was able to update my Carby with no prior JTAG experience after days of trial and error. Perhaps I can help a bit.

After trying various versions of the software for the JTAG programmer, called "Xilinx's ISE Design Suite", I was finally successful using version 14.1. You can download it for free from Xilinx's website (it requires you to register during installation, which is free):
https://www.xilinx.com/support/download ... chive.html
This version of the software only worked for me in an old 32 bit Windows XP SP2 VM I used. Here's some instructions on how to set one up:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12183/h ... windows-7/
You also need the latest shuriken-v3-gc version of GCVideo:
https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/releases

Installation steps I took were -
1. I plugged the JTAG programmer into my laptop via USB.
2. I passed through the USB device named "XILINX" to the Windows XP virtual machine via the USB tab of that virtual machine's settings in VirtualBox.
3. I placed the GCVideo files and the installation files for Xilinx ISE Design Suite on a USB thumbdrive, and passed that USB device to the Windows XP virtual machine as well.
4. I started up the Windows XP VM and installed Xilinx ISE Design Suite.
5. I popped the Carby open with my fingers carefully by shimmying it open. This took quite a few minutes. Basically just pull the front and bottom away from each other as best you can while shifting it.
6. I plugged the deshelled Carby into a Gamecube.
7. I plugged the JTAG programmer into the Carby (I guessed and checked the rotation of the JTAG ports, guessed wrong several times and didn't hurt anything, just try each side of the JTAG connection cable backwards and forwards until iMPACT recognizes one).
8. I turned on the Gamecube.
9. I opened iMPACT, which is one of the programs that is installed with Xilinx ISE Design Suite.
10. I followed these directions starting from where he's already in iMPACT:
https://assemblergames.com/threads/gcvi ... ost-916738
(if your Carby isn't detected, turn off the Gamecube, unplug the JTAG from the USB, and rotate one of the JTAG connection cable's ports)
11. Once you've completed step 10 successfully, turn off the Gamecube, unplug the JTAG from the Carby, and test it out. It should show firmware 2.4b.

Wow, thank you so much for this detailed information! I'm certainly gonna give this a shot when I get hold of that JTAG programmer. :D
omikes

Post by omikes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:19 am

Weario wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:08 pm
Wow, thank you so much for this detailed information! I'm certainly gonna give this a shot when I get hold of that JTAG programmer. :D
I'm going to make a Linux VirtualBox image if I can and just put in on my web server, because that Windows XP step is needlessly complicated, I think I can get the software to run on an old Ubuntu version or something and have it run the same way.

edit: i added a virtualbox image to the steps and changed them a little to make it easier.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:06 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm
omikes wrote:
Spoilers have been broken for a while and I haven't been able to catch emu_kidid's attention on the matter.
Spoiler
Show
Fixed.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 pm

• Fixed 360p RGBcvS sync issue.
Thanks to RetroRGB and Ste from HD Retrovision.
Charzila

Post by Charzila » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello, first I would like to say a big thank you for this software it is absolutely amazing. I am a long time GameCube fan but very new to the homebrew scene so please forgive me if what I ask is very obvious or makes no sense.

I have encountered an issue that I am certain is from my own misunderstanding of software/hardware capabilities, I will try to explain it as best I can.

I am using a Pal Gamecube with a Carby HDMI adapter to display on my TV, I am using SDML to launch SWISS and then selecting a version of GBI. When I run the Standard GBI I am selecting 16:9, 480p and NTSC before launching the software, then using the in game menu by pressing x I am zooming to 2.75x, this fits the height of my TV almost perfectly allowing me to maintain the GBA aspect ration while not cutting off anything from the top or bottom of my TV.

Now I would like to be able to use the Speedrun GBI with the same settings so I do not have to select parameters and adjust the zoom each time and also apply the GBA colour emulation settings. To do this is have created the following gbisr.cli file

--aspect=16:9
--zoom=2:2.75
--format=ntsc
--scan-mode=progressive
--matrix=gba
--input-gamma=4.
--contrast=.74851331406341291833644689906823
--brightness=.25148668593658708166355310093177

However when running gbisr with this cli file it does not appear to be the same as when using the standard edition and manually choosing the same options(excluding the gba matrix). It is quite difficult to spot but I have taken some pictures to try and help explain myself better.

Looking at text in particular on speedrun it is quite visible that something is off with the scaling compared to when using standard, some horizontal lines are too thick and some are too thin I have created a comaprison from the start menu in Pokemon fire red
Spoiler
Show
The top is from the gbi, the bottom is from gbisr with my above cli, notice how the bottom of the letters appears too thick and the top are too thin, This occurs across the entire image but I have zoomed in on one part in particular to highlight it.

I have spent many many hours trying to fix this and have read all the wiki documentation to try and understand what I could be doing wrong. Have I missing out something required in the srcli file, or is the 2.75 zoom incompatible with speedrun?

If anyone could help me to understand what I am doing wrong I would be so grateful, thank you and I hope this all made sense.
Weario

Post by Weario » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm

I think this is a scaling issue. Try adding this to your cli file:

--scaler=oversample
However, another thing you might wanna check out is whether your tv is not over-scanning, which means the picture size is bigger than it should be.
Without the tv over-scanning, you can run gbi-sr with settings like these:

--zoom=2:3
--format=size=568
--scan-mode=progressive
--scaler=nearest
Which should look better.

It depends on the tv where this can be set correctly, but look for display settings like "just scan" or "scan", I think "screen fit" is also right. Settings like "16:9" aren't correct.
Also, in my case, the over-scan issue would only dissapear if I set my tv input name to "pc", you might wanna check that out if you don't have any "just scan" options.
Charzila

Post by Charzila » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Thank you so much, adding scaler=oversample has fixed it. I had tried using those 2:3 zoom settings but the top and bottom were cut off so my tv must be over scanning. I will look into my tv settings to see if I can also get that to work.
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:05 am

I'm sure I am just not remembering something, but I've just updated my GCDual to 2.4b and am trying to get the latest GBI up and running as it has been a while. I prefer to use autoexec files to have it boot right up, so I am creating a cli file and combining to make that happen. I am using the HDMI out for the GC. I am trying to get it running with high fidelity, but no luck so far. Speedrunning edition might also work, I just want to stick with low input lag and high quality video (with as little of the stuttering as possible). I've tried running it basically stock (aside from setting the volume lower and audio to analog) and also setting it to hd60, but I get absolutely nothing on screen. I would love for it to fill a bunch of the screen, too (while keeping as close to pixel perfect as possible). What am I doing wrong here?