Thermal pads replacement for gamecube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
BeyondEarth

Thermal pads replacement for gamecube

Post by BeyondEarth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Hello everyone.

I recently opened up and completely cleaned one of my gamecube, and during the process, I removed the thermal pads that were under the heatsink. I applied artic mx-2 thermal paste instead, but now I'm a bit worried of having made a bad decision. Even if the temperature seems ok and the gamecube functions just like before, I am thinkinf of replacing the paste with thermal pads. Would a 1.5mm thick arctic thermal pad be enough ? Or should I buy a graphite thermal pad ?
novenary

Re: Thermal pads replacement for gamecube

Post by novenary » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Use thermal pads of the right thickness, never paste. I doubt you'll find graphite pads thick enough, and it's really not necessary anyway. The stock stuff is perfectly fine.
BeyondEarth

Post by BeyondEarth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks for your answer, but does 1.5mm corresponds to waht you would call the right thickness ?
Yeah but since I already removed the original thermal pads, I have to find the best replacement now ^^'
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:11 pm

The GameCube is a 15W system, the only reason why it needs a fan at all is the poor internal airflow. Don't waste your money on memes. 1.5mm should be fine.
BeyondEarth

Post by BeyondEarth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 pm

15W for the whole system ? Or only for the CPU+GPU combo ?
THe official Nintendo website places the GC power consumtion at 39W...
BeyondEarth

Post by BeyondEarth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Ok so after a bit of research, it would seem that the power consumption of the system should be around 23W on load. The strange thing is that I found different numbers everywhere...
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 pm

The power brick is rated at 39W but that's because it needs to account for the GBP + BBA + controllers + whatever other peripherals simultaneously. 15W is the ballpark portabilizers have measured. Don't bother with that anyway, the CPU and GPU are very low power by modern standards. Paste is terrible for this because the gap between the heat spreaders and the heatsink is way too big. Get some cheap thermal pads (like I said 1.5mm should be fine), and that's all you'll need.
BeyondEarth

Post by BeyondEarth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am

Okay, thanks for your answers !!