backup games on gamecube won't load

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Psy_boy

backup games on gamecube won't load

Post by Psy_boy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi guys.

I just wanted to know if the Gamecube is very picky when it comes to loading Mini DVD-R's ?

I made a backup from my Purchased and legal Mario kart Dash, but my GC says it does not recognise the disc... The brand of the Mini DVD-R's are media range.. Does it have to be Ritek as soo many are talking about?
novenary

Re: backup games on gamecube won't load

Post by novenary » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:43 pm

That's pretty much it yeah. Discs, burner, software and settings all have an effect on the outcome, and then there's laser lottery. Just to make sure, you are using a modchip right?
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:02 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:43 pm
That's pretty much it yeah. Discs, burner, software and settings all have an effect on the outcome, and then there's laser lottery. Just to make sure, you are using a modchip right?
Sorry for the late reply.

It's softmodded through SDML. I've seen videos on youtube where people get it to work without hard modding it.

I did however do the POT tweak today, it should read 200 Ohms right now (or 201 to be precise)

I'm using IMGburn and first I burnt a disc with x4 speed, which did not work.. I've just burnt another one with x6 speed to see if it makes a difference.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm

Alright, so you're using Swiss to boot your disc then? Which version?
Like I said you'll probably have to try different discs (Ritek G04's are the ones people have had the most success with), a different burner, or buy a new laser.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:27 pm
Alright, so you're using Swiss to boot your disc then? Which version?
Like I said you'll probably have to try different discs (Ritek G04's are the ones people have had the most success with), a different burner, or buy a new laser.
Yeah both Swiss and GCOS.

Swiss version r473
GCOS version 1.50

I think I could try buying some Ritek discs, before investing in a new burner/Laser. Today I know how to change it though. I've never opened a Gamecube before today, and I'm visually impaired (have to have things close to my eyes), so I'm pretty impressed that I could do the POT tweak, even though it is no biggie for others.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 pm

There are newer release of Swiss now, but I don't think they'll help, this is recent enough. You really shouldn't use GCOS, it's old and terrible.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 am

What does Swiss tell you as it's trying to read the disc? (use the latest version of Swiss)

If your GC can read the SDML disc every time that's a good sign that your laser still has some life left in it and you can probably go down to a lower ohm range (100ohm). I'd still recommend finding ritek g04 or g05 media though or trying out your backups via SD card.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:01 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 am
What does Swiss tell you as it's trying to read the disc? (use the latest version of Swiss)

If your GC can read the SDML disc every time that's a good sign that your laser still has some life left in it and you can probably go down to a lower ohm range (100ohm). I'd still recommend finding ritek g04 or g05 media though or trying out your backups via SD card.
I forgot to mention that I live in Denmark so it's a PAL system I'm using if that makes any difference

Swiss reads the disc and I hear that it spins.. and stops... spins.. and stops, the third time it sounds like it's gong to work butt then I hear some clicking sounds and then it stops again. I will start by finding some ritek DVDs to test

Currently I am running all of my games off my sd card. The reason for the need of the DVDs is because of the slow/laggy cinematics. Games run just fine, but the movies don't.

when I started this GameCube adventure 2 months ago, I knew nothing about the console, so I've come far since then.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 am

Psy_boy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:01 am
I forgot to mention that I live in Denmark so it's a PAL system I'm using if that makes any difference
It doesn't.
Psy_boy wrote:
Swiss reads the disc and I hear that it spins.. and stops... spins.. and stops, the third time it sounds like it's gong to work butt then I hear some clicking sounds and then it stops again.
You didn't really answer the question. What does Swiss say? Can you see the message "Possible DVD Backup - Enabling Patches"? What happens afterwards?
Psy_boy wrote:
Currently I am running all of my games off my sd card. The reason for the need of the DVDs is because of the slow/laggy cinematics. Games run just fine, but the movies don't.
Yes that's the general problem with SD gecko, bandwidth is sufficient, but because of hardware limitations in the gamecube, reading from the card takes CPU time away from the game. Most games pre-load levels so that's just fine, but FMVs tend to be streamed off the disc, which causes slowdowns and stutter.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:38 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 am
Psy_boy wrote:
It doesn't.
Psy_boy wrote:
Swiss reads the disc and I hear that it spins.. and stops... spins.. and stops, the third time it sounds like it's gong to work butt then I hear some clicking sounds and then it stops again.
You didn't really answer the question. What does Swiss say? Can you see the message "Possible DVD Backup - Enabling Patches"? What happens afterwards?

Sorry about that, was unsure what you were asking. Yes it says exactly that and then "failed to initialize disc"
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am

Try this build, but please avoid sharing it all over the place as it's not exactly validated for public consumption yet. The interesting change is in the way patches are being uploaded to the drive

Edit: removed attachment
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am
Try this build, but please avoid sharing it all over the place as it's not exactly validated for public consumption yet. The interesting change is in the way patches are being uploaded to the drive.
Ooh this looks interesting. I'll test it when I get off work. Thank you!

Don't know if it's related, but I cant seem to Force another resolution for games. Almost everytime I Want the game to run in 480p, it changes to "NTSC 240p" or "NTSC 480i". Do you know why it does that?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Swiss doesn't allow you to use 480p if you don't have the component video cable or equivalent.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:09 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:51 pm
Swiss doesn't allow you to use 480p if you don't have the component video cable or equivalent.
Ahh that makes sense.. :-) Then I'll wait for my Carby to arrive and try it then..
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Psy_boy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm
Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:46 am
Try this build, but please avoid sharing it all over the place as it's not exactly validated for public consumption yet. The interesting change is in the way patches are being uploaded to the drive.
Ooh this looks interesting. I'll test it when I get off work. Thank you!

Don't know if it's related, but I cant seem to Force another resolution for games. Almost everytime I Want the game to run in 480p, it changes to "NTSC 240p" or "NTSC 480i". Do you know why it does that?
So I've tried it now, burned a new disc and when It tries to load, it says Enabling patches... And it keeps on saying that.. Going on for 5 minutes now. Don't know if that's supposed to happen
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Thanks for trying. I've asked emu_kidid to test that change again, he told me before that it worked but he never merged it into the master branch.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:32 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Thanks for trying. I've asked emu_kidid to test that change again, he told me before that it worked but he never merged it into the master branch.
Okay, fingers Crossed.. Though I'm going to look for some Ritek Mini-Dvds just in case.. Do you think these would do?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-RITEK-M ... :rk:2:pf:0

Or are they in fact not Ritek? I know some Ebay sellers will write everything in order to sell their products.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am

I have no idea about the disks.
The Swiss build I posted doesn't seem like it works at all, and I'm not appropriately set up to debug it at the moment so you'll have to go back to official builds. Hopefully the Ritek discs work out better.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am
I have no idea about the disks.
The Swiss build I posted doesn't seem like it works at all, and I'm not appropriately set up to debug it at the moment so you'll have to go back to official builds. Hopefully the Ritek discs work out better.
The reason I asked was not to hear if these discs will work, but simply if they are in fact "Ritek" Discs or not. Maybe you know the brand, and could verify that the discs I linked to are in fact Ritek.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 am

That's not what I said. I clearly told you "I don't know". The second line was about my Swiss build being broken.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:38 am
That's not what I said. I clearly told you "I don't know". The second line was about my Swiss build being broken.
So sorry for that reaction and misunderstanding
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am

Psy_boy wrote:
Swiss reads the disc and I hear that it spins.. and stops... spins.. and stops, the third time it sounds like it's gong to work butt then I hear some clicking sounds and then it stops again. I will start by finding some ritek DVDs to test
The third time is where it enables the motor + laser in debug mode, if it clicks and stops here it's because it can't read it. Try ritek and if that fails, try cleaning the laser with some rubbing alcohol and turning the ohms right down.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:40 am
Psy_boy wrote:
The third time is where it enables the motor + laser in debug mode, if it clicks and stops here it's because it can't read it. Try ritek and if that fails, try cleaning the laser with some rubbing alcohol and turning the ohms right down.
Thank you.. I did not know this. I'll try finding some Ritek Mini-dvds.. Do you have any suggestions on the discs? I can find some on Ebay (as stated above), they say is Ritek, but don't know if thats a legitimate statement.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 pm

The best way is to get some discs and then check their manufacturer code in something like ImgBurn. From my experience the darker the dye, the better the GC can read them too.
Psy_boy

Post by Psy_boy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:17 pm
The best way is to get some discs and then check their manufacturer code in something like ImgBurn. From my experience the darker the dye, the better the GC can read them too.
Interesting. I'll check that out.. :-)