Streetwalrus's first GameCube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
migles

Re: Streetwalrus's first GameCube

Post by migles » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am

pictures are dead, can them be reuploaded?

I just found about this, and since i grabbed a pi not so long ago i must ask!

it would be possible to make an ODDE with a pi?

maybe use the pi as a full addon for the sweet gamecube
with the pi habilities like usb, ethernet and wifi we could easily send stuff to the pi to be loaded in the gamecube
probably we could even tap the gamecube MC slots and emulate memory cards?
would be really neat and cool if someone could make this sadly i am an average joe..
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:58 pm

migles wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am
pictures are dead, can them be reuploaded?
Sorry, I don't have them anymore and the site that hosted them is dead.
The pi can do everything you've mentioned but it needs a hardware assist (FPGA, or an MCU that can handle very fast IO) to receive drive commands. Dedicated devices are being developed by some community members (myself included), just keep an eye out.
fodder

Post by fodder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Super noob question (and possible necrobump, I'm sorry), but would this work for the Pi 2 Model B?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:15 am

It probably needs a minor change and recompiling because models 2 and 3 have moved the MMIO area. Also keep in mind that this is a terrible solution, you can get a xenogc for very cheap these days.
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Ah alright, that makes sense. And yeah I understand, I am just interested because I already ordered a XenoGC but it's going to take a couple of weeks to get here, and I have an extra GameCube that I don't use.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Fair enough. Here's a build that should work on all rpi2 and 3 models (and will not work on the original model B/B+), keep in mind that it's untested and using a newer compiler so it's not guaranteed to work. Setup is the same.
Attachments
xenopie.zip
(580.8 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:52 pm
Fair enough. Here's a build that should work on all rpi2 and 3 models (and will not work on the original model B/B+), keep in mind that it's untested and using a newer compiler so it's not guaranteed to work. Setup is the same.
Nice! Thank you, I appreciate it.

I'm a bit new to the whole Gamecube modding scene, so I don't know how things are supposed to work exactly. When I try this, with the RPi on, the system is unable to read any discs. Is this probably due to shoddy soldering on my part? Also, I haven't soldered the power yet, I have tried it with USB power. Would that affect it?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:25 pm

I've never tried USB power but I think it should be fine. If it's not even reading originals then that means it's doing something. What happens if you hold start?
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Soldered the power to the Gamecube now, isn't making the games not read but doesn't seem to be doing something like last time. Also, when I held the start button down nothing happened, I tried before turning the system on, during the Gamecube animation, and near the end of it
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Alright, can you describe exactly what the drive is doing? It's supposed to spin up and stop multiple times while it gets patched. Some times it also speeds up much more than usual. You can also hear a number of clicks. Does the ACT LED on the pi light up?
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm

When I have a disc in and start the system it spins up a little bit once, slows down a lot, and spins up again and reads the game

I think I might have done a crappy job soldering, I'll try resoldering everything
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm

No don't touch it, this means it's working. Do legit discs work?
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 pm
No don't touch it, this means it's working. Do legit discs work?
Ah okay, I shoulda read this before I redid it but it's doing the same thing (although my solder job now is much less iffy) and legit discs do work.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Does something happen if you hold start with a legit disc inserted? If so then the xeno is fully working and you probably need a pot adjustment to get backups to read.
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Nope, just goes straight to the game when I hold start with a legit disc

I assume with the kernel you made the Pi is supposed to have a rainbow screen, right? I am not using the HDMI port normally, but I was curious to see what would happen if I did before I soldered it to the GameCube. Also, I should be replacing kernel7.img with the kernel.img you provided, right? Are any of the other files (kernel.elf, etc) used?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Correct. The rainbow screen is part of the GPU firmware, my code doesn't touch the GPU at all so it's expected that you get either that or no output, I've never bothered to check. If kernel7.img is the only kernel file you have on there then it's the one you want to replace.
The other files are mostly source code, you can ignore them.

You still didn't answer this question: while patching the drive, the ACT (green) LED on the pi should turn on, then off again if it's successful. Can you confirm that?
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Gotcha, and my bad I didn't see that question. The ACT LED turns on solid for about 1 second, turns off, and blinks twice, and stays off before the screen displays the Gamecube animation. The red LED stays on the entire time
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 pm

Based on your description, it seems like it's not working. The flashing pattern you're seeing mean the pi is booting something, but you should see one more solid green during the GC boot animation. I've also checked the behavior of an unmodded drive (don't have the pi installed in there anymore) and it seems like your drive is also going unpatched. I'll check whether my kernel is running at all and get back to you.
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 pm
Based on your description, it seems like it's not working. The flashing pattern you're seeing mean the pi is booting something, but you should see one more solid green during the GC boot animation. I've also checked the behavior of an unmodded drive (don't have the pi installed in there anymore) and it seems like your drive is also going unpatched. I'll check whether my kernel is running at all and get back to you.
Actually, I'm sorry, I glanced over it. The green LED turns on once the GameCube animation is about to finish. Its kinda like blinking
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm

That's actually not supposed to happen because it turns out the pin for the LED is different on models B+ and 2. :P Here's a build with that fixed. I can also confirm that kernel7.img is the file you want to replace with my kernel.img. Also make sure your wires are connected to the right pins on the pi's GPIO header. Send a picture of your setup which shows the wiring clearly.
Attachments
xenopie.zip
(580.84 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm
That's actually not supposed to happen because it turns out the pin for the LED is different on models B+ and 2. :P Here's a build with that fixed. I can also confirm that kernel7.img is the file you want to replace with my kernel.img. Also make sure your wires are connected to the right pins on the pi's GPIO header. Send a picture of your setup which shows the wiring clearly.
I super botched the soldering on my GameCube and I think lifted a pad or two.... lol

I redid it though earlier today on alternate points.

Also, the new thing you just sent works! I need to adjust the pot but it just loaded a backup, after 3-4 tries. It also failed to load a real disc so not sure about that. I can take a pic of the soldering on my GameCube but at this point I'm not sure if I want to take it apart and undo the electrical tape etc LOL
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I was more interested in the pi side of things, but if it works then that's good. Have fun!
fodder

Post by fodder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 pm
I was more interested in the pi side of things, but if it works then that's good. Have fun!
Thanks again, here's a pic of the Pi, hard to tell whats what since all of the wires are the same color but I did the same pins as what you had in the picture. Super crappy soldering, probably should have practiced a bit more before this but I guess this was practice itself, since I don't plan on using the GameCube normally as it doesn't output sound for some reason (never has)

https://imgur.com/a/eaSnhVV
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm

I'm surprised that build made a difference, it was probably just your wiring that needed some care. If you don't mind, try the previous build again to see if it still works.
fodder

Post by fodder » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:00 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm
I'm surprised that build made a difference, it was probably just your wiring that needed some care. If you don't mind, try the previous build again to see if it still works.
Ah, yeah I think it was either my wiring or maybe I forgot to copy and rename kernel to kernel7 and I didn't realize, but the previous build works as well. Super weird how with this active the backups load almost all the time but the real games don't load at all though

Hm, is starting to not work as much/load very slowly now. When I take the SD card out of the Pi it boots real games normally as if nothing was connected to it, and they load quickly so I think the laser is fine, but I am not positive