Sundisk ODE a possibility?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
cFmisfit

Sundisk ODE a possibility?

Post by cFmisfit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:38 pm

I recieved one of these chips a few months back with the intent of getting it to work in a GC. At its core it operates like a Wiikey Fusion. Has the same kind of hookups, sans the SD reader. So on this lovely ice filled Michigan morning I went about trying to see what could be done. Maybe it has something to do with the Sun-Iso proprietary crap they use but you can see by the pics how far I have been able to get with it. It was mildly frustrating getting to this point. It would just error out at first. I started to mess with the dip switches and it at least became stable. So close yet so far away I feel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
20190206_164619.jpg
Im at the front door let me in!
(1.86 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20190206_164604.jpg
Installed
(2.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Sundisk ODE a possibility?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:00 am

Doesn't that variant require a PC to be running software in order to "stream" the game over USB or something? That might explain the "please insert disc" message.

I'd managed to get a SunDriver SATA working on a GC.
cFmisfit

Post by cFmisfit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Its basically a slimmed down Sundriver. Usb to load iso's onto the 16gb onboard memory. It uses the same SunIso menu as the Sundriver. I was messing a bit more last night and got it to actually start reading but then she would hang up there.
See now you got me all hopeful and stuff. If you can make a Sundriver work than there should be a fairly good chance this will too. Ill get at it a little more today and see if I can make any headway.
Attachments
20190206_233540.jpg
(2.48 MiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:16 am

cFmisfit wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:08 pm
Its basically a slimmed down Sundriver. Usb to load iso's onto the 16gb onboard memory. It uses the same SunIso menu as the Sundriver. I was messing a bit more last night and got it to actually start reading but then she would hang up there.
See now you got me all hopeful and stuff. If you can make a Sundriver work than there should be a fairly good chance this will too. Ill get at it a little more today and see if I can make any headway.
You should try something known to work if you can such as a WASP/WKF on that adaptor board first to make sure your connection is solid. Intermittent reading is usually a sign of a bad connection somewhere cause I've seen that on WKF/WASP/WODE.
cFmisfit

Post by cFmisfit » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:57 am

Well I sold off my Fusion collection last year so that wasnt a possibility. I had problems like that with the first Wiikey Fusion I had installed. I checked everything with a meter and there was an iffy connection. So I took my time and went ahead and reflowed everything today just to be sure.
As it stands now I am able to get it to read 80% of the time. It seems to depend on when you hit your switch. The timing does have to be pretty spot on. So after gaing no ground I went in the search bar on here and found some informative old posts. Ashen had some stuff from 2011 in regards to a Sundriver. It seems as though the issues everyone was having back then still hold true today. There was a dead link to a video of him getting it to boot the menu once. Learned about the botched version of Crazy Taxi it runs for its menu loader. So everyone moved onto the WODE. This not having a proper Linux loader was too much hassle at the time. My tech skills pretty much stop here. Im gonna show some of my ignorance of the world of programming. Hypothetically, depending on the securities in place, could the Nero Dual be utilized somehow to be able to flash a new BIOS. Its a skill I do not understand but respect.
cFmisfit

Post by cFmisfit » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 am

I just caught this. Did you get it to run stable. I have had it boot and launch a few times so far. Im basing it purely on luck though. Its just not stable. First is the issue of switch timing just to get it to not error. Which usually results in a permanent disc read state. I had it load the SunIso menu once just to crash seconds later. The 2 times I was able to boot straight to game it crashed shortly thereafter. All of this was after I had messed with the app settings. Even then I can not confirm what did what. I just kept messing with it. Not giving up quite yet.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 pm

cFmisfit wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:06 am
I just caught this. Did you get it to run stable. I have had it boot and launch a few times so far. Im basing it purely on luck though. Its just not stable. First is the issue of switch timing just to get it to not error. Which usually results in a permanent disc read state. I had it load the SunIso menu once just to crash seconds later. The 2 times I was able to boot straight to game it crashed shortly thereafter. All of this was after I had messed with the app settings. Even then I can not confirm what did what. I just kept messing with it. Not giving up quite yet.
I don't really recall, it was stable enough to boot a game or at least the menu up. This was 7-8 years ago now :(

It was from a time where everyone was messing with the lid sensor pin so I may have been manually firing it to keep it happy at boot time.
cFmisfit

Post by cFmisfit » Sun May 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Well after a few more attempts I have finally given up on this little project. At best it would run a game for a few seconds and that's about it. The chip software just does not jive well with the GC. So I went ahead and stuffed it in a Wii where it belongs. It had to be done my way though. Mounting the USB dongle on the console looks tacky to me so I took it a step further. Now I can lay this project to rest.
20190510_215100.jpg
(3.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet