Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
iraito

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by iraito » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:33 pm
I'm afraid your CRT is violating standards then.

See https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... eo_scaling for zooming.
Uhm that's actually possible, the big one is not really a good CRT, i will test a smaller better one that never gave me problems before, so it means that normally it's impossible to get the wrong aspect using default settings on the speedrun version, right ?

Also i see an interlace and non interlace option, given that i'm playing on a CRT i should use interlaced, right ? thank you for pointing me toward the right direction i thought that the same zoom was used for both GBA\GB.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:28 pm

Everything worked perfectly, thank you extrems but i will probably revert to the default setting, the loss of picture is not really that worth it for a slight zoom, i would like to choose the same overlay as the one used for the original game boy player, is that possible with the default speedrun ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Of course, just make sure /gbi/frame-srgb.tpl.gz from the extras is present on the SD card.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:23 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:43 pm
Of course, just make sure /gbi/frame-srgb.tpl.gz from the extras is present on the SD card.
Oh so it's possible only through SD ? i'm using the hack+memory card method, just in case how should i set up the CLI file for the overlay (is it the same for all versions ?) ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 pm

It's enabled by default and it picks the frame you had selected in the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:48 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:38 pm
It's enabled by default and it picks the frame you had selected in the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
Ok since connecting the wii etc. is a pain every time i need to upload the file on the MC let me reiterate.

The overlay is already enabled by default in all GBI version, but it requires to have the extra frame file (directly the GZ or the TPL file ?) on the SD root (please tell me if i can do this even on a GC card)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 pm

This isn't currently possible with just a memory card. You place the .tpl.gz file as-is in the GBI folder on root.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:57 pm
This isn't currently possible with just a memory card. You place the .tpl.gz file as-is in the GBI folder on root.
Well i guessed it, i think in the end i will buy one of those memory cards with an SD port in it (https://www.ebay.it/itm/SD-gecko-adapta ... Sw0NtbZKtG), i can use those in conjunction with a game hack right ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes, Home Bros. can also load boot.dol from it rather than from a memory card.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm
Yes, Home Bros. can also load boot.dol from it rather than from a memory card.
I'm using the F-zero replay hack, how would i do that ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Only Home Bros. can do this. Just keep doing it as usual.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:09 pm
Only Home Bros. can do this. Just keep doing it as usual.
Ok, thank you for all the help, hopefully some other soul wandering in search for help will end up seeing this.

With the SD card can i also launch swiss and select GBI from there or is that for Home Bros. only ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:17 pm

Both Swiss and GBI can be put on a memory card, no SD card needed.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:17 pm
Both Swiss and GBI can be put on a memory card, no SD card needed.
But i can't select which app will start first (or can i ?) i would like to select GBI from swiss and have the menu, at least before i take the SD.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:24 pm

You simply put Swiss as boot.dol and GBISR as gbisr.dol. Use dol2gci to get the desired filenames.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:24 pm
You simply put Swiss as boot.dol and GBISR as gbisr.dol. Use dol2gci to get the desired filenames.
Excellent, so i need to use those commands:

dol2gci swiss.dol boot.gci

dol2gci gbisr.dol gbisr.gci

Then i put the two GCI files on the MC and swiss will start first ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:34 pm

You have to rename swiss.dol to boot.dol prior to conversion, but the bundled .gci is already named boot.dol.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:41 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:34 pm
You have to rename swiss.dol to boot.dol prior to conversion, but the bundled .gci is already named boot.dol.
Just downloaded swiss, there's already a boot.gci, which means that i can just drop that on the MC and gbisr.gci to be done, right ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, but not the gbisr.gci provided by me, as that's named boot.dol.
iraito

Post by iraito » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:46 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:42 pm
Yes, but not the gbisr.gci provided by me, as that's named boot.dol.
So i just dol2gci gbisr.dol gbisr.gci and it's ready ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 pm

• Added Custom non-progressive video modes.
  • Updated color matrices by Pokefan531.
  • Updated 3D LUTs by Pokefan531.
  • Fixed NTSC 50 composite video.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am

In game idle mode in GBA games can not wake up, GBI crashes (Zelda ALTTP/FS).

Sending two opposite directions to the GBP when they are pressed at the same time on the d-Pad and the Directionnal stick, testing shows different behavior wether you play a GB or GBA Game:
-> GB: Link stands still in Link's Awakening
-> GBA: Link walks backwards in ALTTP/FS.

Still I have to check my setup, since with the newer version, playing gameboy games don't show square pixels anymore, TV tends to soften edges among other weirdnesses. It's a Thomson (RCA) 48FU4243 and it doesn't seem to have a 'game" mode, changing name to computer or game doesn't help.

Also, I saw that in the settings, you can choose between PAL and NTSC, I thought it was fixed by the composite encoder on the motherboard and not controllable by software. Just wondering since I'm playing through RGB since day one I got my Gamecube, and only often use the orignal cable to play on a tiny 7" nomad composite display that displays with right colors, whatever settings I try.

I read the whole topic, and here are some more questions:

I saw RGBS can be configured vith CVBS on Sync or not, can you enable or disable it via Software on Pal GC or Wii native RGB outs? Can progressive modes be forced too on those outputs?

I saw there is a special SGB palette, that seems to override a native 4 colors mode from the GBP hardware, so it seems GBI tests if the GBP is in GB/C or GBA mode. If so, is it possible to have a set of borders for the GBC mode, that won't leave all this black space around the GB/C display?

I hoped that playing with real hardware would permit playing competitive games as on the real gameboys, opposed to the emulators, but it seems that the way the controller is adressed on the gamecube prevents this kind of use. The Contollers are polled, and controls can't directly trigger an interrupt, as I suppose it is the case on the handhelds, nor can they be scanned directly by the processor.
The maximum height possible in Tetris which shapes can get over is a test that makes it obvious.
Maybe hard-wiring buttons on the GBP board would be the ultimate mod to adress that issue, but it would be too much frankenconsole if it is even possible.
Or Maybe the Gamecube Hardware permits to use an interrup-driven controller scheme to reduce this?

ochentay4 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm
Is GBI compatible with "SuperCard Mini"?
Little late, but confirmed working, sometimes need to press reset for quite long.

Tzakiel wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:17 pm
Using a GB x5. I'm not sure I have seen this with other games yet or not but in Castlevania the adventure I notice when the player moves right it looks normal but when he moves left there is flickering garbage all over the screen. What is the cause of this? I don't think I've seen it on other videos of playthroughs of this game. Is it normal for the game, an everdrive problem, or a problem with my gamecube/game boy player, or a problem with GBI?
Castlevania Adventure (GB version) animation is slow and not even smooth, so the player feels as the sprite kinda "glued" to the background. I didn't notice that "flickering" until recently, since I was only playing it at 6MHz on my original DMG, thinking it was only too slow. Playing it on a big screen with no remanence makes it so much more noticeable! So I tried back on an original DMG, playing at the genuine frequency, and good light conditions, and can say the flickering happens, and in the two directions!

Extrems wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:26 pm
You're seeing the wrong aspect ratio because you're treating the capture as square pixels. Scale horizontally by 10/11.
Aren't pixels supposed to be square on both GB and GBA?

iraito wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Also i see an interlace and non interlace option, given that i'm playing on a CRT i should use interlaced, right ? thank you for pointing me toward the right direction i thought that the same zoom was used for both GBA\GB.
Go for interlaced if you want to be able to get integer scaling at 3x that would fit the screen.
The zoom is indeed the same for Both GBA/GB, but one has a 240x160 pixel display while the older has only 160x144.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am
Aren't pixels supposed to be square on both GB and GBA?
They do, but ITU-R BT.601 doesn't.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:45 pm

But you said the pixel clock is fixed, can you change the signal/scan voltages to "stretch" the pixels?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 pm

That's not how analog video works.