Wind Waker Hack for GC

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
Gators

Re: Wind Waker Hack for GC

Post by Gators » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm

I have a Wii. Does using a Wii let me somehow format an SD card to work with the adapter to then use on a Game Cube? If so, nothing at all has been clear about that.

Could someone for the love of god give something resembling instructions?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:12 pm

1. Take an SD card and insert it in your PC's SD reader.
  2. Download GCMM.
  3. Copy the gcmm_1.4f\apps folder in gcmm_1.4f.zip to the root directory of your SD card.
  4. Create a MCBACKUP folder on the root directory of your SD card.
  5. Download the Wind Waker Hack.
  6. Copy gzle.gci for NTSC-U, gzlp.gci for PAL or gzlj.gci for NTSC-J to the MCBACKUP folder.
  7. Download Game Boy Interface.
  8. Copy the MCBACKUP folder in the Zip archive to the root directory of your SD card.
  9. Eject the SD card and insert it in the front SD slot of your Wii.
  10. Take a GameCube Memory Card and insert it in Memory Slot A or B of your Wii.
  11. Turn on your Wii and launch the Homebrew Channel.
  12. Load GCMM.
  13. Restore gzlx.gci and gbi.gci.
  14. Remove the GameCube Memory Card and insert it in Memory Slot A of your GameCube.
  15. Put The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker disc in the disc tray of your GameCube.
  16. Turn on your GameCube and press Start at the title screen.
Gators

Post by Gators » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 pm

YES! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking all over the world wide web for! Thank you for finally putting it together.

One thing of note for future searchers that might stumble on this, this requires a Wii that has already been setup with the homebrew channel, which there should be guides for. I forget how I set mine up, that was done years ago, and I seem to recall that the process varies depending on versions of things. So....another level one may need to go if they're starting from absolutely nowhere.

Meanwhile, I'm left wondering....what is the SD card adapter for a gamecube card slot used for? I bought this thing expecting I'd be using it to load things....but I've yet to see a way to do anything with it. Is it just a useless piece of plastic?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 pm

In Game Boy Interface, the SD card adapter is used for loading resources, saving screenshots, and as dump/restore target. It can also load other software as autoexec.dol on the root directory of the SD card.
Gators

Post by Gators » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 am

I see. So, I could just prepare my gamecube memory card with the exploit, and put whatever .dol file I want it to load as autoexec.dol on the sd card, and use the 2 slots in my gamecube I take it.

Yes....this was the missing link. It seems that I couldn't grasp that I needed to prep a gamecube card from my wii to do this.

I'll be making a youtube video after I've played around more.
smalltownguy2

Post by smalltownguy2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:09 pm

Extrems wrote:
  1. Take an SD card and insert it in your PC's SD reader.
  2. Download GCMM.
  3. Copy the gcmm_1.4f\apps folder in gcmm_1.4f.zip to the root directory of your SD card.
  4. Create a MCBACKUP folder on the root directory of your SD card.
  5. Download the Wind Waker Hack.
  6. Copy gzle.gci for NTSC-U, gzlp.gci for PAL or gzlj.gci for NTSC-J to the MCBACKUP folder.
  7. Download Game Boy Interface.
  8. Copy the MCBACKUP folder in the Zip archive to the root directory of your SD card.
  9. Eject the SD card and insert it in the front SD slot of your Wii.
  10. Take a GameCube Memory Card and insert it in Memory Slot A or B of your Wii.
  11. Turn on your Wii and launch the Homebrew Channel.
  12. Load GCMM.
  13. Restore gzlx.gci and gbi.gci.
  14. Remove the GameCube Memory Card and insert it in Memory Slot A of your GameCube.
  15. Put The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker disc in the disc tray of your GameCube.
  16. Turn on your GameCube and press Start at the title screen.
Okay, so these instructions clearly lay out the steps required to boot the Game Cube Interface program.

What changes do I need to make to this list to boot Swiss and play backup .iso's ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Download Swiss and restore its boot.gci.
Oh_DeeR

Post by Oh_DeeR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm

Hi there,
I have a Japanese GC and a Japanese copy of Wind Waker.
I followed all the steps, got confirmations when restoring the 2 files (yes, I used the file for the Japanese version) in GCMM.
However, when pressing Start on the title screen it just starts the game like normal. What could be the issue?
Can I check in GCMM if everything is where it should be? If so, what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'm trying to boot into gbiloader_r2, the respective boot.gci is in the root of my SD card. Memory card is in slot A, SD adapter with 2GB class 2 card is in slot B.

Solution(?):
Restore gzlx.gci and gbi.gci.
Could it be that the order matters here? I restored gbi.gci to gbi.dol first so it went in save slot 00 and then gzlx.gci (gzlj.gci in my case) so it went in save slot 01 - and that worked!
Traace

Post by Traace » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Couple of days until a JPN GC with Wind Waker arrives, I gonna test it and report back :)

Edit: Works just fine, thanks for the great development FIX94.

Swiss with PAL games works too, forced 480i
Wii U: WUP-001 | 5.5.2 Haxchi | 500GB HDD
Wii: RVL-001 | BootMii @ Boot2 | 500GB HDD
GC: DOL-001 | Splinter Cell xploit | 8GB Selfmade SDGecko
DOL-001 Spicy Orange | Wind Waker JPN xploit
Quantum

Post by Quantum » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi, so I've been trying to use my gameboyplayer without a boot disc and this hack was what was recomended. but it just doesn't work... I have the right hack file (same region code as my game), but when I try to boot the dolphin file in my memory card the windwaker main menu just stops and the gamecube resets.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 am

Do you have a boot.gci on the card as well?
razorleafattack

Post by razorleafattack » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 pm

Is there any way to make the disc stop spinning after the boot.dol has launched?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:57 am

Swiss can do that via its settings "Stop DVD Motor on startup".
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:04 pm

One has to setup a valid way of saving Swiss's setup into its' settings menu first. :P
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
razorleafattack

Post by razorleafattack » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 pm

No way of setting that up within the exploit then? Often I just use the single card to boot the GBI .gci
I know I can set Swiss to auto-boot GBI but if I can do it on a single card that would be ideal.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 pm

If you want a single memory card and have room enough, you can put Swiss as Boot.gci, and both GBI.gci, and swiss.ini (saving from swiss choosing Memcard slot A for config saving). Swiss is around 88 memory card blocks in the current version if I remember well.

If it is only for GBI, put it as Boot.GCI, and just open the lid once GBI is launched, this will just stop it, and it may not spin up when you close back the lid.

I have two GCs, one with the GBP, and only one WiiSD, since I have two memcards, one is for "regular" Zelda saves, other titles saves are exploits to launch GBI directly, on the other one, I have Zeldas Exploits to launch Swiss from the WiiSD.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
razorleafattack

Post by razorleafattack » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Isn't the internal filename boot.gci for both the Swiss boot.gci file and for GBI.gci? I didn't think there was a way to have both on there as one would overwrite the other.
Regarding the swiss.ini, do I set my preferences before assigning Slot A for config? Or does it store that as a setting as well, so any changes update that swiss.ini?

Sorry for the super noob questions; I really appreciate the help.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 pm

No, if you name GBI just GBI.gci, there is a way it can be on the same MC than SWISS as Boot.gci.
But you don't have to be confused between "brosexecauto", which is the little boot.gci that boots Autoexec.dol (that can be a Swiss.dol renamed as such) from a SD card in a SDGecko/WiiSD, and the Swiss.gci renamed boot.gci to boot straight from a Memcard.

If you set your preferences at the same time you assign Slot A for config, it will be nice when saving, and later, it will keep that preference for saving, may you have to adjust other settings.

razorleafattack

Post by razorleafattack » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 pm

hmm I was thinking the files had an internal filename that was completely separate from what you'd see on your computer, and that after using GCMM, that internal filename would be revealed on the memory card. Anyways, thanks I'll give it a shot this evening.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 pm

They do. You need to convert the DOL yourself using dol2gci to change the name.
razorleafattack

Post by razorleafattack » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:04 pm

Ahhhh ok. Thanks for the help, gents.
Lone_Beagle

Post by Lone_Beagle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am

razorleafattack wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:01 pm
No way of setting that up within the exploit then? Often I just use the single card to boot the GBI .gci
I know I can set Swiss to auto-boot GBI but if I can do it on a single card that would be ideal.
Were you successful in setting that up? I just got the GBI launching with the WW hack, but if I could skip the process of starting up with a disc, that would be even better. TIA!
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 am

Lone_Beagle wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am
...but if I could skip the process of starting up with a disc, that would be even better.
Not possible with softmod. There are other methods, how to boot homebrew without inserted disc, but those require modifying console.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... g_Homebrew
Lone_Beagle

Post by Lone_Beagle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:33 am

Srandista wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:09 am
Lone_Beagle wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am
...but if I could skip the process of starting up with a disc, that would be even better.
Not possible with softmod. There are other methods, how to boot homebrew without inserted disc, but those require modifying console.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... g_Homebrew
Thanks for letting me know (before I wasted a lot of time trying to figure it out)!
mo-blivious

Post by mo-blivious » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 pm

These instructions seem to point us to loading the WW hack off slot A, right?

So at what point would I be able to get a game cube memory card in slot A for game saves?

I've certainly had no luck with a lot of these tricks unless I run Swiss off slot A and do the sd card swap (to get to the bigger card with the ISO on it) there in A, but then I can't save games.