dreampi to cubepi?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
weekendgamer

dreampi to cubepi?

Post by weekendgamer » Thu May 09, 2019 4:47 am

have anybody try to do a network connection with a raspberry pi. i seen in the dreamcast scene that they have a mod that you can used to play online with a dreampi via phone connection to wifi. i wanna know if anybody have try or write code for the gamecube to make it go online play like pso? this would be cool if anybody would do this.
Aleron Ives

Re: dreampi to cubepi?

Post by Aleron Ives » Thu May 09, 2019 7:38 am

In theory, the DreamPi method would work for GC, assuming you have a GC modem already. The reason DreamPi is so popular is that 3/4 of online DC games require the modem, so the DC BBA isn't super useful outside of PSO and Quake. The DC BBA is also way more expensive than the GC one, although the GC BBA's price is rising rapidly.

There's not much reason to buy the GC modem when you could get the GC BBA, and you wouldn't save that much money. Every DC comes with a modem, whereas the GC modem and BBA were both sold separately. I've yet to hear of anybody trying to get their GC online this way, but it would definitely be possible.
weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Thu May 09, 2019 3:59 pm

i forgot about the bba on the gc. i'm just curious if it could be made in the code of the pi. also i would love to see it run via wifi
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu May 09, 2019 4:03 pm

You certainly can use a Wi-Fi bridge with the Broadband Adapter.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu May 09, 2019 5:44 pm

What was done for the dreamcast is impressive, unfortunately, few GC games that can play "online", and some make exclusive use of either the Modem or the BBA.
There are bridging solutions for distant virtual LAN play such as MKDD's Warp Pipe, for example.

It would need servers too, or else it would be point to point as with WarpPipe.

With the GC BBAs price getting higher and higher, we may see the day that reprogramming an arduino serial ethernet controller's MCU to the specs will be considered as reasonably cheap, and maybe this one will be able to mimic the two options, carrying data directly to the WWW, and maxing up the transfer rates of such connections.

There are two big caveats in the DreamPi design: catching the line signal, and using a Pi. Redesigning the modem to an Ethernet adapter connected directly to the DC would have been nicer.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Fri May 10, 2019 10:16 am

The big problem of mentioned CubePi would be incompatibility of LAN games with it. With modem, you can only play Homeland (JP language only) and Phantasy Star Online. Rest of the LAN enabled games are strictly LAN only, and from what I heard, its network code is really not that great. These games were designed to play across the LAN, and even though there are options to tunnel it through Internet, distance between players is huge issue. Sensible usage of online functionality came later with Wii, but that's different case altogether.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Fri May 10, 2019 1:14 pm

The biggest benefit of using the modem is that you can go online with the PSO Trial Edition, which doesn't support the BBA. It isn't currently supported by any servers, though, and even when it is, it'll be a pretty small benefit of modem ownership.
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm

I don't see that as "benefit", maybe as a curiosity. I looked for that PSO version, and couldn't even find ISO image of it, and even if I do, as you said, you're unable to play it. You can just say, that unlike Dolphin, you can run it, but that's not so much a benefit in my eyes.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Fri May 10, 2019 11:44 pm

I did say it was a small benefit. ;) Sylverant already supports the DC PSO trial, so it'll support the GC trial eventually.
weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Mon May 13, 2019 5:52 pm

i just would love to see it happen if it possible. i know their well be a few problems down the line from the coded and the game community from each other console from it lan to wifi but the possibly is their.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 am

Better off getting a Wii with devolution and a copy of the game. It supports network connections over wifi.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Tue May 21, 2019 7:38 am

The Wii's Wi-Fi antenna is terrible, though, so almost everybody has to buy a USB Ethernet adapter, or they get randomly disconnected for no reason while playing. Thankfully they only cost 10 USD, unlike the GC BBA.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm

I have no problem with my access points and can sustain 8-10 mbps depending on the IOS version.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Wed May 22, 2019 5:29 am

For whatever reason, it doesn't matter if you have good signal strength. People will have their Wii and router right next to each other, and they still get disconnected without warning. Something about PSO dislikes using Wi-Fi on Wii for like 80% of people.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu May 23, 2019 10:56 am

Aleron Ives wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:29 am
For whatever reason, it doesn't matter if you have good signal strength. People will have their Wii and router right next to each other, and they still get disconnected without warning. Something about PSO dislikes using Wi-Fi on Wii for like 80% of people.
I've had this happen when using a NTSC Wii in a PAL region, changing my access point to be on a different channel improved it by an order of magnitude (this was 5-6 years ago). But if you want something reliable, yeah, get the LAN adaptor.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Thu May 23, 2019 12:51 pm

I've also been curious if using WEP instead of WPA(2) would improve the situation, but nobody has tried it yet. Changing the wireless channel is a good idea if you can scan to see which channels are most in use already.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 pm

The way WiFi is used and abused makes it be crap. :roll:
Always try your best to be able to get wired connexions, then if you can't, try to use a chanel that noone uses close to your whole network, neither too close to your home appliances' frequencies (alarm, rollling blinds, micro-wave oven…) or your neighbour's, turn down your AP's power to the lowest that provides good quality link.

I have settled to WEP for legacy support reasons, but I don't see why it would improve the link quality. :?
I don't know how to check when I don't get connections with the Wii, if it is beacause of the Wifi or anything else, and don't think is worth the hassle checking compared to the annoyment it causes. BTW, I don't remember having suffered from in-game disconnection.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu May 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Jesus fucking Christ. Don't use WEP, or TKIP for that matter.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Fri May 24, 2019 5:55 am

Hopefully he has MAC address filtering enabled to go with WEP. ;)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 24, 2019 11:30 am

I have Mac-IP fixed static assignment for both Ethernet and WiFi, DHCP de-activated, for various other reasons, but even without it, it would be quite overkill, just because of my location. :lol:

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri May 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Those don't make your Wi-Fi any more secure.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Only the Mac adresses provided to the AP can get an IP adress, and communicate to the AP, if only they have the password, isn't it a little secured? :p

I don't think my Wifi is worth sniffing to fake one of my devices, and I don't want to set another AP for my DS, one is already too much IMO.

I used to have an AP with two SSIDs where my DS was connecting without security to the public one (with MAC filtering), and the computers were connected to the other with WPA, but I somehow bricked this AP trying to add fuctionnalities to it (messed up the busybox in OpenWRT 2.4), and red boot operations is beyond my capabilities. :roll:

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri May 24, 2019 5:02 pm

MAC addresses aren't secret by any means, they're sent in the clear.