Gamecube "An error has occured", won't attempt to read discs

All your console related questions and answers :)
AnonymousIdea

Gamecube "An error has occured", won't attempt to read discs

Post by AnonymousIdea » Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCWfPVgZDg

I plan on opening it up later, not sure where to begin. Any ideas what could be the cause? It is a very generic error. I've tried with multiple known working power cables. Kind of interested in finding out if it's even fixable.

EDIT: well, I think I've figured out the problem... This thing is full of rust, dust, and plenty of bugs! absolute mess. I might take a look later to see if just cleaning it will help or if there's anything I can take a look at but It's probably not something I'll be able to work out :P
Last edited by AnonymousIdea on Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papy.G

Re: Gamecube "An error has occured", won't attempt to read discs

Post by Papy.G » Tue May 14, 2019 8:01 am

The message I had after my kid broke the SMS disc wasn't this one and doesn't occur before you try to boot the game.
I don't think it is the problem, since it won't load the disc before you get to the "game" menu.
Just in case, try to boot without disc, or lid opened, without anything plugged in the console, not even a gamepad.
Maybe the battery is dead, but I think I have read somewhere that there is a special message for this specific case. Anyways, if you open the cube, checking for the battery voltage won't hurt, at first.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
AnonymousIdea

Post by AnonymousIdea » Wed May 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:01 am
The message I had after my kid broke the SMS disc wasn't this one and doesn't occur before you try to boot the game.
I don't think it is the problem, since it won't load the disc before you get to the "game" menu.
Just in case, try to boot without disc, or lid opened, without anything plugged in the console, not even a gamepad.
Maybe the battery is dead, but I think I have read somewhere that there is a special message for this specific case. Anyways, if you open the cube, checking for the battery voltage won't hurt, at first.
Same results with nothing changed. Also as you can see in the video and I just noticed it doesn't play the startup which is super weird. I do have a working gamecube so I'll probably take them both apart this weekend and see if I can figure out what works and what doesn't. Do you know if I can use the disc drive from another system or boot without a disc drive in it?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 am

I'm not an expert in faulty GameCubes, since I traded away the platinum one I had broken the audio out.

AFAIK you may get an error if no drive is connected, but you can swap drives to test, but remember doing so, you can fry a working device too.

Some people here may help way better than me.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Gamecube_everyday

Post by Gamecube_everyday » Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 am

Check game disk for scratches and dust, my sims 2 pets disc usually gets that error after about an hour.

I just clean it and it plays fine.
:ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek:
AnonymousIdea

Post by AnonymousIdea » Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 am

Gamecube_everyday wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 4:06 am
Check game disk for scratches and dust, my sims 2 pets disc usually gets that error after about an hour.

I just clean it and it plays fine.
It literally doesn't read discs, see the video. It happens after it boots to the menu that shows up where no disc is inserted. I found a video that showed it happen when the disc drive was taken out so I think the console isn't even recognizing it for some reason. The error message is the exact same though, and im sure the one with dirty discs is more common.
Gamecube_everyday

Post by Gamecube_everyday » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 am

Check the disk reader
:ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 24, 2019 11:37 am

Try to swap drives, if you have another working GC.

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat May 25, 2019 4:12 am

AnonymousIdea wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:43 pm
EDIT: well, I think I've figured out the problem... This thing is full of rust, dust, and plenty of bugs! absolute mess. I might take a look later to see if just cleaning it will help or if there's anything I can take a look at but It's probably not something I'll be able to work out :P
I've come across a few like this, one had a tiny spot on the DVD drive board which had lost continuity so the GameCube couldn't even communicate with the drive anymore. Sounds like you'll eventually either find the same somewhere on one of the PCB's or will just swap the drive PCB for another.
AnonymousIdea

Post by AnonymousIdea » Mon May 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to look around to see if there's a viable way to get a new drive board. Probably some dead system with a good drive or one that doesn't read discs I'll just replace the laser on. I've checked the drive board a bit and there isn't any noticeable damage without using some magnification so it'd be easier for me to find a new drive. I might end up saving for when/if I can find a drive replacement like the Wiikey Fusion.