Replacing GameCube fan (

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
rawr693

Replacing GameCube fan (

Post by rawr693 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 am

Hi! So I recently got a cheap GameCube with a bunch of accessories and after a couple of days test-driving it the started shutting down. I thought it could be a bad power adapter, however, I just noticed the fan is not moving at all so it should be an overheating problem.

Swapping out the fan is easy enough, I know it has to be a slim 50mm 12V part, but I'm having problems with amperage... Stock fans are noted to be 0.05 or 0.06 and I'm having problems finding that exact number, so my question is how high can I go in amp without causing damage to the console? Would a 0.15A fan cause damage?

I know I can get another console pretty cheap, but I wouldn't wanna get rid of an otherwise perfectly fine console when it can be easily fixed.

P.S. The only reason I'm asking is because I'm having problems finding a fan with the exact amperage
Papy.G

Re: Replacing GameCube fan (

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 am

Any fan won't be power hungry to the point it can sink or damage the GC unit or PSU.
Try first to blow the original fan (off the GC and disconnected), the lubricant sometimes sticks when not used for long.
Blow the air intake and outlet, the straight and reverse ways, if you find dust inside, it won't hurt. (don't blow the optical assy)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
rawr693

Post by rawr693 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I'll give that a try, just gotta buy a proper screwdriver to open the bloody thing. I'm planning on modding it by installing a Xeno and SD card reader anyhow to lessen the burden on the optical drive and be able to use the Game Boy Player it came with.

It's a bit dumb that a screwdriver is aorund 5$ here, whereas another Gamcube with 2 controller would run me only 23$.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:50 pm

It's gonna be more and more difficult to get unmodded and working units, so it can be wise to use game exploits to launch Swiss instead, to avoid the risk and hassle of soldering such circuits.

You may be able to get the screwdriver for less than $2 shipped, but if you can get another gamecube with 2 controllers for $23, jump on the opportunity, especially if the controllers are the Nintendo brand ones, since it's not bad a price to only get them. Plus, for the games that needs a GBA, you'll already have the hardware. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
rawr693

Post by rawr693 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm

I live in Venezuela, so the supply of tools is more limited, gotta fork the 5$ for the screwdriver XD I'm modding this one to use exploits and avoid hardware wear & tear.

I'll go test the 23$ Cube later, but yes, both controllers are Nintendo branded and controllers are always handy cause I play a lot of Smash.