How to debug Swiss?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
dreamcast-gc-fan

How to debug Swiss?

Post by dreamcast-gc-fan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm

Hello I am trying to debug crashes on my Dol-001 and I have the latest release of Swiss ready and usable. However I wish to now try and find out why my gamecube keeps crashing during certain moments in the game and would like to even play around with the code that is on git in my local machine to see if I can fix certain things (pipe dream but who knows). I have a chinese made Memory Card to SD adapter and do not have an SD Gecko or Datel device. I have also tried to emulate swiss in Dolphin but it doesn't load the main menu due to the dvd drive not being able to be mounted for some reason using the latest stable build of dolphin. Thanks.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: How to debug Swiss?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 pm

You'll really need a USB Gecko to get very far in debugging anything. Unfortunately we're making the GameCube do things it wasn't meant to in game and the games that crash typically crash because they don't like what's happening (taking low sections of memory away, taking too long to load, etc).
dreamcast-gc-fan

Post by dreamcast-gc-fan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:45 am

Thank you for the response emu_kidid. I was afraid that this was indeed the case. I will go down that route with getting an usb gecko. Thanks again for all of the work you have done for gamecube homebrew.
Last edited by dreamcast-gc-fan on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 am

I think it's quite an awkward thing to want to try SWISS under an emulator since any emulator would hardly behaves exactly like the real hardware, and any functionnalities added by SWISS on the real hardware should already be available in an emulator.

I may be wrong, but from looking at the pictures available here, SD Geckos and Wiikey/WiiSD (and probably other chinese clones), are just pass-through wiring, with no components at all, not even a decoupling cap. So going for an SDGecko won't improve anything.

emu_kidid> It's a question I asked before and that didn't already get an answer, does this decoupling cap makes a big difference? Does formating sd cards with 32k/64k blocks make a big difference?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 am

Blocks definitely don't make a difference, the decoupling cap might but I've never really had problems until now with my cards (some Lexar 128GB card I bought, the GameCube hates it).
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks, so for the SD2SP2 I can try without cap first?

About the 32/64 blocks, it doesn't make a difference both for compatibility nor for read speed?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:10 pm

It makes no difference whatsoever unless the file is fragmented.
dreamcast-gc-fan

Post by dreamcast-gc-fan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:34 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 am
I think it's quite an awkward thing to want to try SWISS under an emulator since any emulator would hardly behaves exactly like the real hardware, and any functionnalities added by SWISS on the real hardware should already be available in an emulator.
I may be wrong, but from looking at the pictures available here, SD Geckos and Wiikey/WiiSD (and probably other chinese clones), are just pass-through wiring, with no components at all, not even a decoupling cap. So going for an SDGecko won't improve anything.
Very true for your first sentence. But I also meant to say USB gecko instead of incorrectly saying sdgecko as I already have one. :) Anyways I'm on youtube hunting down a usb gecko device now. Hope to find one from a youtuber who doesn't know what they have!