Question about GameCube game file replacement

Game Hacks, Trainers, Cheats

Moderator: Ralf@gc-forever

SlyCooperReloadCoded

Question about GameCube game file replacement

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 am

I originally posted this on Reddit, but was directed here as this might be a better place to talk about this.

I'm a big fan of looking through the file structures of GameCube games and finding unused content or developer test levels and putting them into the game using file replacement tools. There are a few games that have these, however I often run into a problem - one that I'd like a solution to. The only GameCube image-modifying tools that I've found have a troublesome limitation - the replacement files have to be either the same size as the originals or smaller than the originals. This is a problem because developer test levels (at least in the games I've explored) are much larger than any other level in the game. The Cutting Room Floor (website, not the expression) could benefit a lot from a tool that didn't have this limitation.

After all these years, is it still not possible to replace files within GameCube images that are larger than the originals? I would ask the same question about Wii games, too, however this is a GameCube site.
Aleron Ives

Re: Question about GameCube game file replacement

Post by Aleron Ives » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:37 am

GCRebuilder allows you to extract a game image to a folder, replace whichever files you want, and then build a new image. This is the only way to import files that are bigger than the original. Keep in mind, however, that an ISO built by GCR uses 2048 byte alignment, rather than 32768 byte alignment, so it's not a great idea to burn such an image to a DVD-R to play on a chipped cube, as unaligned images are harder on the laser assembly than images with properly aligned files. If you're booting the game from an SD card with Swiss, the alignment shouldn't be a problem, unless the game uses DVD streaming audio.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:17 am

I use emulation, so burning things to discs isn't an issue for me. I just need the modified ISO. I'm looking at GCRebuiler while typing this, it's the tool I tried using. I don't see an option to create a new ISO, only extract individual files and replace files. I'm using Version 1,1, which is the newest version I could find.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:35 am

See part 2 half way down the page:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/gcr.html
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm

That's actually much easier than I was expecting. While we're on the topic of GCRebuilder, I can't seem to replace the banner. Even if the file is the exact same size, it says it's too big.

Edit: New issue - I followed that GCRebuilder tutorial, however when I click "Rebuild", it brings up an error message saying "Error - memory stream is not expandable". This error wasn't mentioned in the tutorial at all. Any ideas?
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:23 pm

SlyCooperReloadCoded wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm
New issue - I followed that GCRebuilder tutorial, however when I click "Rebuild", it brings up an error message saying "Error - memory stream is not expandable". This error wasn't mentioned in the tutorial at all. Any ideas?
This problem is caused by the file numbers contained in ISO. The alignment process will always generate a larger ISO. If you really need to create this ISO, look for files that can be deleted. Audio or PS2 and XBOX related files are examples.

This may be the answer to your other problem.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm

Larger ISO? If I delete any files and try to open the root, GCRebuilder will say there's missing files and will refuse to open anything. I'm fine with a larger ISO, I'm emulating it, however I don't see an "Allow Larger ISO Creation" option anywhere. Or I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying.

Also, the total filesize of the root folder is 1.17 GB, which is smaller than the normal 1.35 GB ISO's that GameCube games are normally stored in. This isn't a size issue.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm
Larger ISO? If I delete any files and try to open the root, GCRebuilder will say there's missing files and will refuse to open anything. I'm fine with a larger ISO, I'm emulating it, however I don't see an "Allow Larger ISO Creation" option anywhere. Or I'm completely misunderstanding what you're saying.

Also, the total filesize of the root folder is 1.17 GB, which is smaller than the normal 1.35 GB ISO's that GameCube games are normally stored in. This isn't a size issue.
I forgot to warn you ...

Any modifications to the root folder need the "modify system files" and "do not use game.toc" options enabled for ISO creation.

The issue does not seem to be the size of the folder but the number of files in it. 1 file with 100MB seems to make a difference with 100 of 1MB during alignment. Or not...

But I just solved the problem that way and I will warn you that some games cannot be extracted and modified. For example, Metroid Prime 2.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm

I enabled "Modify System Files", but clicking "Rebuild" still causes the "Memory stream is not expandable" error. "Do not use game.toc" is greyed out and can't be selected. Also, the game I'm modifying can be extracted and modified properly.

I made a YouTube video showing my issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGoBuW3o9lU
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:49 pm
I enabled "Modify System Files", but clicking "Rebuild" still causes the "Memory stream is not expandable" error. "Do not use game.toc" is greyed out and can't be selected. Also, the game I'm modifying can be extracted and modified properly.

I made a YouTube video showing my issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGoBuW3o9lU
"Do not use game.toc" must be enabled before any folders are loaded. This will ignore the original file list and allow the inclusion and exclusion of files in the ISO. The second option is responsible for creating the ISO exactly with the displayed files.

It was this game and True Crime - New York that presented this problem. I deleted all character audios to work. I didn't have the patience to figure out which files can be deleted without stopping Star Wars progress. I can only help you with this. Good luck.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Okay, I did it again. I opened GCRebuilder, enabled both of those options, THEN did the rest. It's still giving me the same error. If I try and delete any files and then open the root folder, it says "[filename] cannot be found" then doesn't do anything.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm
Okay, I did it again. I opened GCRebuilder, enabled both of those options, THEN did the rest. It's still giving me the same error. If I try and delete any files and then open the root folder, it says "[filename] cannot be found" then doesn't do anything.
This is very strange ...

If you enabled both options as soon as you started the program, it was not supposed to happen. In the root folder, there is the folder with start, iso, apploader and game? This is the first time I see this problem.

Use another ISO and exchange files between them. If the problem continues, I will reproduce this problem on my PC.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 pm

I tried it with another ISO and Rebuld worked fine. But I need to modify this ISO. To be specific, the game is Lego Star Wars 2. I'm trying to access some test levels by replacing normally playable levels with the test levels.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:25 pm

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 pm
I tried it with another ISO and Rebuld worked fine. But I need to modify this ISO. To be specific, the game is Lego Star Wars 2. I'm trying to access some test levels by replacing normally playable levels with the test levels.
I did like this:

1 - I Extracted ISO with system files (header, apploader, dol and toc) with GC-Tool v1.20 (beta).

2 - I started GCRebuilder v1.0 with "Modify System Files" and "Do not use game.toc" enabled.

3 - I deleted and includes random files. Everything worked perfectly. Just find out which files can be removed. If this is possible ...

If any ISO doesn't work, use FSTFix and align to 32k. But use it ultimately because it can corrupt some ISOs.

These programs can be found here.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 pm

I can't reach Step 3 without running into that error though, the error prevemts me from building the ISO.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:31 am

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 pm
I can't reach Step 3 without running into that error though, the error prevemts me from building the ISO.
I will give you two more options: check if your Net Framework is up to date and try again or make the necessary modifications using only the replace option in GC-Tool. Just do not modify the TOC.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 am

Net Framework is completely up-to-date. I don't know what GC-Tool or TOC are.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 am
Net Framework is completely up-to-date. I don't know what GC-Tool or TOC are.
If you don't know what GC-Tool is, don't try it my way. Download it here, extract the ISO and try again. If it doesn't work, in less than 5 minutes learn to use replace alone.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Download it where?
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Download it where?
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... ?f=37&t=17
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm

I'm trying to use this GC-Tool program, however I don't see an option to open the root, and right clicking any file and selecting "replace" brings up the error "Error: This is not a file!". Seems like this tool doesn't work either.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:14 pm

Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:03 pm
I'm trying to use this GC-Tool program, however I don't see an option to open the root, and right clicking any file and selecting "replace" brings up the error "Error: This is not a file!". Seems like this tool doesn't work either.
You are doing it the wrong way.

GC-Tool is for extracting all ISO content along with system files. After that, use GCRebuilder to create the ISO with the modifications. GC-Tool replace only works with files. You need to exchange them one by one.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Okay, I extracted everything using GC-Tool, then did the rest in GCRebuilder. GCRebuilder is still giving me the same error. It shouldn't be this hard.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:49 pm

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:21 pm
Okay, I extracted everything using GC-Tool, then did the rest in GCRebuilder. GCRebuilder is still giving me the same error. It shouldn't be this hard.
Are you using the rebuilder version below?

http://www.shedevr.org.ru/zelda64rus/tools/gcr_1.0.zip

Try and remember to enable the options. It seems that even activating game.toc, the program ignores the command. If it doesn't work, look for other versions. I have no more advice. Maybe someone else will help you.
SlyCooperReloadCoded

Post by SlyCooperReloadCoded » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 pm

No, I wasn't using 1.0. I was using 1.1. I downloaded 1.0 from that link you posted but even 1.0 is giving me that same error.