super analog nt?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
weekendgamer

super analog nt?

Post by weekendgamer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:04 am

as of today my retron 5 is finally dead after the pin connector didn't want to read the carts anymore. so i am eyeing on the super analog nt console. but i got couple of question.

1. i heard that if the console is jailbreak, it can play roms off the sd card

2. can it run homebrew/reproduction/english patch games carts without any trouble like, glitching out, freezing up, and random reboot/crash

3. is it wrong for me to used a flash cart on the super analog nt even through i have the games but their are in japan

4. is their any trouble on capturing the footage from the super analog nt from elgato and avermedia device like audio not in sync, frames skip and image drop out

please let me know if their no trouble on the super analog nt because i am going to buy one next month.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: super analog nt?

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:46 am

1. Yes it can
2. It can run them as well as a real console can
3. If you jailbreak it there isn't much point to a flash cart, maybe SD2SNES cause it can support MSU-1 and SDD-1, SA-1 etc now (unsure if jailbroken firmware supports that)
4. There shouldn't be and if there is, that's a limitation of your capture device

I have one and I use it quite a bit for my SNES needs, it's pretty accurate and quite a faithful reproduction of the SNES hardware. Your retron 5 may have had more gimmick like functionality and better ROM/IPS patching support but the super nt won't disappoint when it comes to quality.
weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 am

the reason i ask is because my brother told me to just get a raspberry pi 3+ and call it a day but it just don't feel right for me. also the only way i used a retropie is for mame/afterburn and that it. i love my retron 5 but also hate it since it was a pain to update and getting the ips patches to work when trying to play a translation game. the flash cart will be no problem and i see their a few jrpg games getting that treatment from the translation and the msu-1. it just the price tag i am looking at is abit high but the way i look at it. if i get my snes out the storage, mod it for rgb, getting the cables for the rgb, and also added a ossc. i be spinning about $300 then the $190 on analog site and sd2snes $126-196 and don't have to hassle for the roms since i do own most of the games in my collections(beside sega genesis and gba) well wish me luck getting one next month
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

SNES doesn't need to be modded for RGB output, you just have to find a cable, which may not cost more than $30.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm

i through the snes had to be moddeding for rgb? anyways i was looking at the flashcart at stoneagegamer and their a new model call the sd2snes pro. is it any good because it look the same to me after viewing the spec.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:58 am

I don't see any difference as per the actual software version, unless a FW update is available that takes advantage of the different FPGA.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm
SNES doesn't need to be modded for RGB output, you just have to find a cable, which may not cost more than $30.
Depends on the model. There's a bunch of revisions and some need to be modded.
weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:41 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:58 am
I don't see any difference as per the actual software version, unless a FW update is available that takes advantage of the different FPGA.
what i was able to get on the pro model, it the same fpga chip set but with a better clock speed, better os and battery save. and i was looking at ebay for the used sd2snes (no the pro model) one and their are asking for a premium price so i am going to get the pro model since stoneage gamer store are not going to restock the flashcart anymore.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Ikewise> Don't tell me that they messed with the SNES even before the N64 and the GC… :roll:
I didn't know that, since my Brother had an US NTSC SNES back in the days, with the RGB SCART cable to get colors on European TV sets, so I thought RGB was standard.

WeekendGamer> Yes, everything is better, but still, compatibility isn't better, so it is of no use, except for loading time maybe. Pro or not is quite a dilemma, the everdrive, on the other hand, is a no-go, with no special chip support, the list of games gets ripped of so many of the better ones… :evil:

weekendgamer

Post by weekendgamer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:00 am

yes, i know some games don't work from it rom rip. hell i hate the rips off of the gamecube iso. some are good and some are bad. i just hope i can play my action rpg/jrpg english translation games off the flashcart.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 am

That wasn't what I meant, I wanted to state that the low Everdrive compatibility leads to so much good game to not work with it, wich is a pity. But still, I agree with you, for some games, finding clean roms isn't easy, some have been shrunk or hacked (altered to work with specific software/hardware, put a signature demo…) and sometimes they spreaded over much of the places where to find roms, as they were copied from servers to servers from those bad sources. For the GC, there is a very good utility that can check/unshrink/clean/properly shrink ISOs, and much more people have hardware required to rip ISOs by themselves.

Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Ikewise> Don't tell me that they messed with the SNES even before the N64 and the GC… :roll:
I didn't know that, since my Brother had an US NTSC SNES back in the days, with the RGB SCART cable to get colors on European TV sets, so I thought RGB was standard.
Then you won't like if I told you that even if you get RGB from various SNES, some give you a better quality image than others.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:39 pm

It's just for others, and for general knowledge. In fact, I don't care much of the SNES, since I already have quite a hard time getting proper AV output off my GCs and Wii. When it'll be ok, I'll then be able to play SNES games on the GC/Wii. :P

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 pm

OK, Papy.G, If you're not interested in the SNES and don't really know anything about SNES modding, don't give advice on the SNES.

weekendgamer here is a video that may help you decide if you want an original SNES or a Super Analoge NT.

Super Nintendo :: RGB204 / MY LIFE IN GAMING

Super NES 1CHIP Mod Updates :: RGB309 / MY LIFE IN GAMING

Analogue Super Nt - The Ultimate FPGA Super NES? :: RGB310 / MY LIFE IN GAMING
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:25 pm

The original question wasn't about SNES modding, and as I happen to have had both US NTSC/EUR PAL SNES with RGB setup and import adapter and Game Backup device, I share the little knowledge I have about it.