Any news on getting new emulators on GCN?

GenPDP7

Any news on getting new emulators on GCN?

Post by GenPDP7 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm curious to know if new emulators are planned to be ported onto the GCN via homebrew software. SNES9x is a great emulator, but what about some of the higher-accuracy, cycle perfect ones, for example? Any plans to see any of those on GCN?
Extrems

Re: Any news on getting new emulators on GCN?

Post by Extrems » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Do they even have a chance of running on a Wii?
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:49 am

I would think you'd be much more likely to know than I would! But it seems odd that a machine that can run Mario Sunshine would not be able to run one of those. But in any case I was just curious about the future of GCN homebrew emulation.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 am

You're using Super Mario Sunshine as an example of the GameCube's pinnacle? Are you serious?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:50 am

Perfection is, by definition, hard to reach. In the world of emulators, it is specially harder to get cycle perfect and accurate results, it is a huge pain, even on powerful machines. If now they have to be ported to a machine different in terms of architecture and performance, you are very likely to trade this accuracy in the compromises you have to do to just have it run "not that bad".
Historically there are some machines that had quite a poor CPU (compared to today's standards), but with support chips wired/designed very specifically for a certain task that may be quite complicated to be replicated by general computing CPU, no matter its mathematical powerhorse tag. (No need to get very far, the SNES and N64 are good examples, for very hardware specific rendering, you have the Vectrex and Virtual Boy that would never get a chance to get emulated accurately, unless you have a laser beam projector)

What is your real need for such accuracy? Are you coding demos that tinker with video timings or interlaced memory accesses?
Why do you think SD memory card readers are so popular, no matter their high price tag? Original hardware is the true way to run softare cycle-accurately, why bother?

I am picky too to some point, and I just bought the original games just for that need. Hope your graal is not too pricey. ;)

For the specific case of the GCN, we are very lucky that emulation/homebrew scene is still very active. Look at the DS one, where everybody migrated to the later systems because of their "compatible yet more powerful" arguments, letting the Nitro lag behind. This could have happened with the Wii and U in the same line as the Cube, but it didn't, at least not as massively as with the portables, and we won't be ever able to thank those who settled to it enough.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:45 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:50 am
For the specific case of the GCN, we are very lucky that emulation/homebrew scene is still very active.
Yes, I'm glad it is, and that was the nature of my question to begin with. What kind of things are people actually working on these days? Anything to do with emulation, or what?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:28 pm

You might see improvements in Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 1 emulation. Those are still areas of interest.
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:28 pm
You might see improvements in Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 1 emulation. Those are still areas of interest.
Yeah, I tried the Wii SX emulator and it was unplayable. Framerate was a slideshow and it seemed to crash alot.
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Would love to see PS1 and N64 emulation being perfected on GC one day.
Whoever manages that would be a hero.