Question about GameCube hacking

Find all your GameCube topics here
HyperGameCube

Question about GameCube hacking

Post by HyperGameCube » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:26 pm

Hello guys!
I'm new here.

Ok so i bought used DOL-001 (EUR) GameCube. It's in great condition and a virgin one. Black (real beauty!).

Anyway..im planing on building my GameCube game library and all, but im also interested in backing up those games and playing them from some convinient location like SD card or HDD..i dont know really how it goes and whats possible. I never modded a GC and have no clue about HomeBrew scene and whats possible and best solution.

So what i basically want is to have my GC doing what it does originally, playing original discs i mean, but i want to be able to Hack it to load homebrew apps, emulators, backed up games etc. Also i dont want something to expensive or fancy..its best if i can make some stuff my self for it, or mod it my self, or hack it like Wii (banner bomb etc.) to play HB etc.

So what would be the best solution? And also i saw someone saying to get SD2SP adapter... will that adapter allow me to run HomeBrew from SD? If so...my next question is:
Please, explain me in simple terms how gamecube homebrew etc. works. It feels complicated.
Wii is straight forward and other consoles i have...basically its: Hack it...install homebrew channel...use it...and you dont need any special equipment, except flashcard for DS.

Please, since im completly new to GC HomeBrew scene...introduce me where to start so i can understand.

Also, what do you think about buying stuff from AliExpress, like flashcards, adapters, modding chips etc... this one for example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000505 ... 7442e6d7ee

Happy holidays!
scopedog

Re: Question about GameCube hacking

Post by scopedog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 pm

You need a couple of things.

1st) a copy of swiss homebrew (google: swiss github)
2nd) a way to boot swiss
3rd) some storage like sd2sp2 or wiisd (my pref is to get both, isos on sd2sp2 and homebrew on wiisd). don't forget to get some microsd cards.

About the 2nd part, you can use the GameCube Action Replay from Datel. You can find some on amazon. OR you can use a gamesave hack (google: FIX94 ac-exploit-gc). It involves hacking a memory card but be careful as you need at least 250 blocks so 16M and up. Also you need also to be able to run homebrew to make it happen (not practical if you don't have access to the AR disc or another hacked memory card).

Also, I got pretty much all my stuff from ali so i guess it is pretty safe if you pick sellers that sold a bunch. Like Kingsworld store, Gamer'ss Zone store, etc.

After you have all the gear, it is pretty much a matter of copying the files on sd and booting with AR the disc OR game+memory card combo.

Let me know if you have more questions, I will be happy to help out.
scopedog

Post by scopedog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:25 pm

I see you have a pal gamecube. I also recommend the HD retrovision cable for a better image quality. The GCPlug is another interesting option since you have the dol-001 version! There are many versions available since the design was released as open source. Personally I got the CARBY from Insurrection Industries and it works great.
scopedog

Post by scopedog » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Ah yes. If you get the action replay disc, make sure to buy an EU version. Otherwise it won't work. Needs to be same region as the console.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 pm

So welcome to you!

What do you mean by "virgin one", it hasn't been opened before you got it?

If you love the fact that your consoles are not modded, don't put a chip in your GC, it can be really cheap now, but it isn't absolutely necessary, there are so many games that can be exploited to run homebrew, and SWISS is still improving over and over so the list of games that can't be run off an SD card is thinning more and more with each release.

To start you'll need hardware to read SD cards, wether you choose SD2SP2 or SD-Gecko (WiiSD/WiiKey, it's the same), you won't have to fork out more than 5€ for both, shipping included. SD2SP2 isn't very straightforward to use until the loaders will be ok, but it's usable.

Then, if you have a GC compatible Wii, you'll be able to setup an exploit, if no and nobody can do it for you, you'll have to get an Action Replay, but they are tending to get rare these days and the price is climbing along.

For GC Homebrew, the softmod way is:
An exploit (savexploit, Action Replay) that runs homebrew from a memcard (GBI, SWISS, or another loader) so this latter loader can itself run SWISS or GBI off an SD card (in the SD2SP2, or SD Gecko) (so can SWISS or GBI, but they hold more blocks on the memcard). From SWISS you can then launch backups or Homebrews.

scopedog> Why would someone need more than a 59blocks memcard to run a savexploit? While bigger memcard can be wise to buy if one plans on getting many games, and specially those who have huge needs for memory blocks, keep in mind that some games have problems with those, so having a 251 or less memcard laying around can come in handy. Also, the game beeing exploited can't be used to play if you don't have another memcard, for the real save of it, otherwise you'll have to use a different region version on an SD card.
The HD retrovision may not be the most appropriate choice, specially for those who are in Europe, due to shipping fees that can make their cables not that much cheaper than a chinese GCplug HDMI.
That depends on the display where the OP wants to hook his cube.

Please both fill your profiles, so we can at least know where you are, in case we can help.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 pm
Then, if you have a GC compatible Wii, you'll be able to setup an exploit, if no and nobody can do it for you, you'll have to get an Action Replay, but they are tending to get rare these days and the price is climbing along.
What are you talking about? Datel is still making and selling them.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Oh, right! The SDML, isn't that expensive, plus it comes with the µSD-Gecko!

Does one still needs to setup a Gamesave exploit to startup straight from a Fat32 device (without having to swap), or is there an alternate boot code?
If it doesn't, it's a 20€ extra cost at the end, just to setup a game exploit, or one can go the SD2SP2 way to put bigger cards in it, and don't have to swap cards, nor buying a specific game disc. Then for 25€ you're setup!

There are so many possibilities to access homebrew on the cube, it's really amazing!
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:44 pm
There are so many possibilities to access homebrew on the cube, it's really amazing!
That's exactly why i'm seriously confused about all GC "hacking".
So let me get this straight (cause i am "bombarded" with information that i don't even know what they mean, but i'm learning slowly, so i'm sorry if i don't get is straight away.
That's just how i'm confused by all this.)
So my main goal is to run SWISS, right?
Now there are many methods to do so if i got it... only ones i got so far are with memory card exploit....using action replay...modchip (i heard about xeno something, WASP something..and Wiikey chips). so with them i can run homebrew (i mean SWISS) from exteral media (SD cards) like "SD2PS2" adapter (using micro SD's) or "SD-gecko" (home made one or bought)

I'm sory but that's all i god so far!
Again..im so confused, but i hope at least i get the basics :D
scopedog wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 pm
You need a couple of things.

1st) a copy of swiss homebrew (google: swiss github)
2nd) a way to boot swiss
3rd) some storage like sd2sp2 or wiisd (my pref is to get both, isos on sd2sp2 and homebrew on wiisd). don't forget to get some microsd cards.

About the 2nd part, you can use the GameCube Action Replay from Datel. You can find some on amazon. OR you can use a gamesave hack (google: FIX94 ac-exploit-gc). It involves hacking a memory card but be careful as you need at least 250 blocks so 16M and up. Also you need also to be able to run homebrew to make it happen (not practical if you don't have access to the AR disc or another hacked memory card).

Also, I got pretty much all my stuff from ali so i guess it is pretty safe if you pick sellers that sold a bunch. Like Kingsworld store, Gamer'ss Zone store, etc.

After you have all the gear, it is pretty much a matter of copying the files on sd and booting with AR the disc OR game+memory card combo.

Wow! Thanks for explanations and recommendations on sellers! youre really nice person! ^^

Im still a bit confused about all of this, but i think im getting hang of it till i see what options i have that are best.
scopedog wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:18 pm
Let me know if you have more questions, I will be happy to help out.
Thanks! ^^
About that...well..do gamecubes brick? and is GC complicated to ruh homebrew? i mean do i need to go through al the steps just to run swiss every time i turn on console or can the "hack" be installed while GC boots?
Sorry for noobish questions and also English is not my language...
scopedog wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:25 pm
I see you have a pal gamecube. I also recommend the HD retrovision cable for a better image quality. The GCPlug is another interesting option since you have the dol-001 version! There are many versions available since the design was released as open source. Personally I got the CARBY from Insurrection Industries and it works great.
I see... ill look into them. Also, i saw these on AliExpress...
Your thoughts please: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000180 ... 2e0enJ17J9
Last edited by HyperGameCube on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:33 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:22 pm
Papy.G wrote:
What are you talking about? Datel is still making and selling them.
They are? Where can i find them in Europe? any recommendation please? i need PAL as i understood. I'm not buying but i like to have my options and to see prices and all before i see what i will do.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 pm

HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Papy.G wrote:
So welcome to you!

What do you mean by "virgin one", it hasn't been opened before you got it?

If you love the fact that your consoles are not modded, don't put a chip in your GC, it can be really cheap now, but it isn't absolutely necessary, there are so many games that can be exploited to run homebrew, and SWISS is still improving over and over so the list of games that can't be run off an SD card is thinning more and more with each release.

To start you'll need hardware to read SD cards, wether you choose SD2SP2 or SD-Gecko (WiiSD/WiiKey, it's the same), you won't have to fork out more than 5€ for both, shipping included. SD2SP2 isn't very straightforward to use until the loaders will be ok, but it's usable.

For GC Homebrew, the softmod way is:
An exploit (savexploit, Action Replay) that runs homebrew from a memcard (GBI, SWISS, or another loader) so this latter loader can itself run SWISS or GBI off an SD card (in the SD2SP2, or SD Gecko) (so can SWISS or GBI, but they hold more blocks on the memcard). From SWISS you can then launch backups or Homebrews.

scopedog> Why would someone need more than a 59blocks memcard to run a savexploit? While bigger memcard can be wise to buy if one plans on getting many games, and specially those who have huge needs for memory blocks, keep in mind that some games have problems with those, so having a 251 or less memcard laying around can come in handy. Also, the game beeing exploited can't be used to play if you don't have another memcard, for the real save of it, otherwise you'll have to use a different region version on an SD card.
The HD retrovision may not be the most appropriate choice, specially for those who are in Europe, due to shipping fees that can make their cables not that much cheaper than a chinese GCplug HDMI.
That depends on the display where the OP wants to hook his cube.

Please both fill your profiles, so we can at least know where you are, in case we can help.
Yeah, By "virgin" i mean as if it just bought from the store, unmodified in any way, home used. clean. virgin.

As for chip..im not against it per se, but if its not needed than i dont need it. Id reather soft mod it so to say wothout any hard mods if it can be done.

" SD2SP2 isn't very straightforward to use until the loaders will be ok, but it's usable."
What do you mean by this?

"Then, if you have a GC compatible Wii, you'll be able to setup an exploit, if no and nobody can do it for you, you'll have to get an Action Replay"
i can probably buy games i need for exploit, but they are expensive where i am and i dont have them. As for action replay i cant find one...
Also it seems like a drag doing that every time i want to use homebrew.

Everything else, as confused as i am, your explanation was pretty clear..i still need to learn more before deciding and seeing my options...
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 pm
SD Media Launcher
Action Replay disc only
Wait...SD media launcher and Action replay disc are separate products? I thought they are one product. its not so cheap including shipping..assuming they ship to my country.

oh! and uhm..thanks for links! ^^
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:17 pm

SD Media Launcher includes the Action Replay disc and a SD card adapter, but people like to buy only the disc.
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:17 pm
SD Media Launcher includes the Action Replay disc and a SD card adapter, but people like to buy only the disc.
So say i buy only Action Replay disc...can i use sd2sp2 adapter to launch SWISS or homebrew/backups? and if yes, is it better in compatibility and speed to use sd2sp or
SD Media Launcher card?

Also lets say i buy Action Replay..i saw a diagram how to make SD gecko adapter...i can tottaly make it...is that a good option to play homebrew/backups in terms of compatibility and speed? (not to mention its cheaper and i can make my own adapter)

P.S. Action replay way seems simple enough without any modifications to hardware, inserting chips or hacking console it self... its...how to say...non intrusive mothod and seems simple and somewhat fast (i saw some youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb04lK1WATc)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:33 am

One of the straightforward method, If you planned to get Zelda WW anyways, is boot SWISS from SD Gecko exploiting this game. When installed, it launches from the savefile selection menu.
The SD2SP2 may be as simple in a very near future, so you can go with it, while it can't be used on the RVL-001 Wii, nor on the DOL-101 GameCube if you have one. The SD2SP2 adapter can be homemade as well, as can be seen in my signature video, the connector board is a yoghurt cup edge with adhesive copper tape. 8-)
See the SP2 port as a memcard SlotC, it is exactly the same for homebrew usage.
Cheaper games can be exploited, but you have to dig into the menus before accessing to SWISS.

If you have Wii RVL-001 (gamecube compatible), and planned to get one of the exploited games, there's no absolute need for an Action Replay or SDML. And there's no need for the Wii to have the homebrew channel installed, mine isn't modded and I did it with it.

The softmod for GC isn't dangerous as long as you don't short something with handmade devices. ;)

The GCPlug from Alix is the one I got, you can read here what it is worth.

HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm

Yes, my Wii is fully hacked in GC and Wii mode. i do have memory card but not a single GC game. I plan on getting SD media launcher from Datel website. Whats your thought on that?
EDIT: Oh about that...if i buy action replay..do i need to use their adapter to load homebrew like swiss, or can i boot homebrew/swiss from sd2sp2?
Like so: put sd2sp2 with micro sd and homebrew on it, than i put action replay CD, when it loads it reads from sd2sp2, than i load swiss and im in swiss to load backups. Can it work like that or do i need their adapter?

this adapter:

I have a question...uhm...soi can make sd gecko and sd2sp2. i saw diagram for sd gecko, but do you know of any diagram for sd2sp2 DIY?

Also as far as i understood so far, you can run backups from burned media (mini dvd), SD using gecko, micro SD using sd2sp2 adapter, correct? What are pros and cons of each in terms of compatibility, ease of access, spped of read (no lags etc)? Your video i saw playing mario party (from SD i presume?) has no lags in cutscenes or in game, feels fine. What did you se? Is that sd2sp2? but why is on GC's side glued?

Anyway
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm

SD Gecko and SD2SP2 have the exact same compatibility and performance. Action Replay cannot use the SD2SP2, but any other adapter will work. People generally use the WiiSD adapter.

https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2

Other options exist, see the boot GCM/ISO column: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss#Supported_Devices
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm
People generally use the WiiSD adapter.
Why?
Extrems wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:22 pm
Other options exist, see the boot GCM/ISO column: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss#Supported_Devices
Whats GCM/ISO column?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:56 pm

HyperGameCube wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 pm
Why?
Datel's adapter is the worst quality around and seem to cause issues when driving SD cards at 27 MHz.
HyperGameCube wrote:
Whats GCM/ISO column?
Well, tables have columns. And this table has a column labeled "Boot GCM/ISO".
HyperGameCube

Post by HyperGameCube » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:19 pm

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:56 pm
HyperGameCube wrote:
Why?
Datel's adapter is the worst quality around and seem to cause issues when driving SD cards at 27 MHz.
HyperGameCube wrote:
Whats GCM/ISO column?
Well, tables have columns. And this table has a column labeled "Boot GCM/ISO".
>didn't know that. Can you elaborate on that "27Mhz" part...i don't understand what you mean.
>what i mean is what does GCM/ISO represents?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:51 pm

HyperGameCube wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm
Yes, my Wii is fully hacked in GC and Wii mode. i do have memory card but not a single GC game.

I plan on getting SD media launcher from Datel website. Whats your thought on that?
EDIT: Oh about that...if i buy action replay..do i need to use their adapter to load homebrew like swiss, or can i boot homebrew/swiss from sd2sp2?
Like so: put sd2sp2 with micro sd and homebrew on it, than i put action replay CD, when it loads it reads from sd2sp2, than i load swiss and im in swiss to load backups. Can it work like that or do i need their adapter?

this adapter:

I have a question...uhm...soi can make sd gecko and sd2sp2. i saw diagram for sd gecko, but do you know of any diagram for sd2sp2 DIY?

Also as far as i understood so far, you can run backups from burned media (mini dvd), SD using gecko, micro SD using sd2sp2 adapter, correct? What are pros and cons of each in terms of compatibility, ease of access, spped of read (no lags etc)? Your video i saw playing mario party (from SD i presume?) has no lags in cutscenes or in game, feels fine. What did you se? Is that sd2sp2? but why is on GC's side glued?

You'll be able to setup a game exploit with your Wii, it's just about running GCMM (Wii version) with the right files in the MCBACKUP folder at the root of the SD card in the Wii's SD slot (the exploited save for the game you have, and the DoLauncher) exploited gamesave and regular save for the same game can't be on the same memcard, you'll need another memcard to play it regularly (if you want), or use another region ISO of that game to play and save on the same card.

With the Datel's SDML or AR, you'll be set up to use Homebrew in a regular way, and not relying on your Wii, if one day you don't keep it, but you need to first launch SWISS from an SD Gecko, theirs or not, then, browse to the SD2SP2 card from SWISS, with the GamExploit, you can boot SWISS directly off the SD2SP2 card. I've just tested NiHuSu mod of the Suloku DoLauncher, and it works just as it should!

I don't know where you are, but in France, for example, we can get some of the less "popular" games among those that can launch homebrew for 10€ or less sometimes, these may not be the fastest to load, but they work.

The schematics to wire the SD2SP2 are there, that's how I did, while only 6 wires may be sufficient (mine only has seven in fact). But at the price they are now, it is not really worth it, except if you absolutely want reguar size Sd slot, or beeing able to swap cards without unscrewing the GameBoy Player.

To run burned medias, you need to have a chip (direct boot), or launch SWISS either way before. You'll probably have to adjust the lens pot not to get reading errors, which is the cause of many drives death.
In my video, I boot Zelda WW with exploit to launch GBI off the Memcard, then, launch SWISS from a µSDcard (in an adapter) in the SD2SP2 (homemade, with deported regular size SD slot, that is stuck to the console side), then launch MarioParty off the same µSD card.
There were no way to boot SD2SP2 directly from a gamexploit when I did this video, now we can skip the GBI step.

The datels adapters experience problems with full speed use of the EXI bus (memcard), so you have to halve its speed not to get read errors.

GCM/ISO are the Disc image formats used to dump GC discs.

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:20 pm

GCM is the official file extension for GameCube disc images, but people commonly use the ISO (9660) file extension.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:49 pm

When I had SWISS running for the first time on my GC, I tried to backup my game discs to GCM, but those images cannot be used, so I had to give CleanRip a try, and it gives me ISOs that work. Which homebrew will dump useable GCMs on SD card in an SD Gecko?

Are GC discs really ISO compliant, or is it just an abuse of this acronym? Are GCM and ISO dump files different in any way? (header, endian, whatever) Or are they verbatim identical?

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:01 pm

It's an abuse of the acronym. They're identical.
scopedog

Post by scopedog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:56 am

Sorry I was away for a while. All set up @hypergamecube? Since you have a hacked wii you can easily create the savegame exploit using an homebrew named 'gcmm'. Search github gcmm. I used a tutorial named 'GameCube Homebrew for n00bs - AJ ONeal'. Should be easy to find.