Gamecube brightness issue

All your console related questions and answers :)
Trippy86

Gamecube brightness issue

Post by Trippy86 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm

Currently I only have a composite cable for the gamecube, but I'm in the process of looking for a decent hdmi cable which wont leave me broke.

Using composite cable on my 4k hdr tv I've noticed the menu is slightly bright on the front, but when running swiss menu or any games the brightness is insanely high.

Just wanted to know is this a known thing with composite on modern TVs or is there a setting have to change?

Thx a lot
Extrems

Re: Gamecube brightness issue

Post by Extrems » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:19 am

Is this a PAL GameCube? You need a PAL-specific cable.
Trippy86

Post by Trippy86 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:34 am

Yes it's a pal gamecube, just have composite cable that came with it
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:07 pm

I knew there were variants in the Peritel (SCART) RGB cables for Pal consoles, but didn't know about that with composite ones.

I ran some tests with different TVs and monitors on last holidays (still have to make a topic about that), and some of them showed oversaturated or too bright picture with analogue input, the red test dots on the 240p suite beeing pumpkin orange!

It may have something to do with internal inputs impedance, that result in voltage levels beeing totally weird. Some of my friends on an old computer forum often encounter same problems with recent TVs.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 pm

PAL systems move the 75 ohm resistor into the cable, which generic cables will lack.
Trippy86

Post by Trippy86 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 pm

So what should I do? I dont want to spend a massive amount on a cable or adapter but would love to get a normal looking picture and hdmi if possible. I've seen these Hyperkin cables for £35 which the price is fine but is it worth it?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Solutions such as the hyperkin cables are smart for consoles that don't have any options for digital AV out, but the GameCube has a digital AV out, if you want HDMI out, go for a GCVideo device, if it doesn't (DOL-101), buy a DOL-001, or get an RGB Cable and a CRT.

First, the price of the Hyperkin cable is close to the entry price tag all-digital adapter, second, this cable is not for Pal GameCubes (S-Video only), third, it won't be able to get 480p out of the console.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Trippy86

Post by Trippy86 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:47 pm

I have been looking at a GCVideo devices but unsure of the best place to buy one and for a fair price, I've seen so many home made omes with 3d printed cases way over priced
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:33 am

There is a topic about the cheap ones from China.
It isn't very expensive compared to other alternatives, good RGB cables are less than $10 less, and other true digital solutions are at least $20 more (internal Pluto board from KNJN, for example).

Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:15 pm
PAL systems move the 75 ohm resistor into the cable, which generic cables will lack.
Are you sure the composite-only cables have a 75 ohm resistor? Isn't that only for Sweden or something?
Both ones I have with my cubes seem legit, while I can't be sure, they don't show the behavior they should with an ohmmeter.
Or it is in the Scart plug adapter, I have one but is certainly not legit, doesn't have the resistor in it.
I don't really care, as I have almost always used a third party RGB-SCART cable with break-out RCA plugs for Composite and audio, and this one has the resistor, but this really bugs me, as curious as I am.