PAL gamecube in North America with OSSC question

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
cagerhager

PAL gamecube in North America with OSSC question

Post by cagerhager » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm looking at picking up a PAL gamecube that naturally outputs RGB to use with my gameboy player and OSSC. My question is will there be any issue running games (gamecube specifically) using the HD retrovision SNES YPbPr cables in north america (component cables are very hard to find and expensive and I already have the hdretrovision cable)? I'm looking at installing a XENO chip for region free as well as I have an NTSC action replay coming to load swiss.
Papy.G

Re: PAL gamecube in North America with OSSC question

Post by Papy.G » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 pm

You won't output anything good off a PAL GC using a custom-made SNES YPbPr cable for custom-modded console.
You'll need a specific GameCube RGB cable, with the right resistors (SNES RGB cable can be a base), then add a LM1881 to get a cleaner picture.
RGC cables are the off-the shelf option, but add $10 and you get a chinese GCVideo GCPlug for HDMI output, provided your GC is not a DOL-101, RGC sells LM1881 on a board, cheap and eases the work of modifying an RGB cable.

Why put a chip to run NTSC AR, when you can run PAL AR straight? Then SWISS can run off 5€ games, and render your console region free.

I have a loose Platinum DOL-101-EUR and its GBPlayer and I'm actually gathering everything to sell it (SD Gecko, controller, exploitable game, memcard, RGB cable…) and may try to install internal SD2SP2, but still don't have any mains adapter. :P
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
cagerhager

Post by cagerhager » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:48 am

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 pm
You won't output anything good off a PAL GC using a custom-made SNES YPbPr cable for custom-modded console.
You'll need a specific GameCube RGB cable, with the right resistors (SNES RGB cable can be a base), then add a LM1881 to get a cleaner picture.
RGC cables are the off-the shelf option, but add $10 and you get a chinese GCVideo GCPlug for HDMI output, provided your GC is not a DOL-101, RGC sells LM1881 on a board, cheap and eases the work of modifying an RGB cable.

Why put a chip to run NTSC AR, when you can run PAL AR straight? Then SWISS can run off 5€ games, and render your console region free.

I have a loose Platinum DOL-101-EUR and its GBPlayer and I'm actually gathering everything to sell it (SD Gecko, controller, exploitable game, memcard, RGB cable…) and may try to install internal SD2SP2, but still don't have any mains adapter. :P
Thanks for the reply. I've searched far and wide to see what the OSSC does with a pal rgb signal, has that been something you have came across? if so, how terrible is it?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 am

If you seek on Youtube for RGB gaming, you'll see what the OSSC can do with RGB signals, while Nintendo consoles' SYNC pin bears the full CVBS (composite video) signal, for compatibility reasons, which can alter the RGB quality, unless you "clean" it up to Composite sync only (with something like a LM 1881).
If you want native YPbPr for cheap, and don't mind about SD2SP2/BBA/GB Player ability, you can go the Wii way, while some say it has bad signals, I can't say much about it as I have bad cables on my Wii (both RGB and Component, which is a modded S-Video one), and at the moment, they are terrible! , I'm planning on re-building them with better quality components (dual RGB/Component cable with coax for signals and integrated LM1881).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)