Gamecube corrupts graphics or hangs

All your console related questions and answers :)
shyrivi

Gamecube corrupts graphics or hangs

Post by shyrivi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:29 pm

I have trouble playing Metroid Prime. The game starts normally but after a while playing it starts failing. Some times it corrupts the rendering as you can see in these videos.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BPopD ... QV_y_QuV0A
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hC06s ... fI906y_ndb

Other times the game just hangs and the sound goes on for a few seconds before turning into black screen. I can't find a pattern... it sometimes happens after 5 minutes playing other times I can play a whole hour before it happens. I played Twilight Princess and Smash Bros without a problem but Rouge Squadron III suffered the same hanging problem... the rendering corruption didn't happen though. I'm suspecting it to be some GPU overheating problem. I cleaned the heatsink from dust. I wanted to know any ideas before replacing the thermal pads.

My setup:
Viper GC Extreme
Swiss r798 burnt into viper's memory (Tried launching the game with almost every settings possible)
SP2SD + 128Gb samsung micro SD / SD Gecko + 8GB SD (Both options causes the issue)
Pluto IIx HDMI

Thanks in advance
Last edited by shyrivi on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papy.G

Re: Gamecube corrupts graphics or hangs

Post by Papy.G » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Try to launch them off the last SWISS rev. from your SD, check if there is enough space for patches, and with analog out.

But it seems it is GPU (memory) related, is the minimap OK in TP?

Can you boot any off these problematic games straight off the original disc?

I have read that RSII and III, and Metroïd Prime share some methods that are quite heavy to render for emulators, they may be demanding even for the original hardware (the GC itself can happen to have to lower the framerate in RSIII).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
shyrivi

Post by shyrivi » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks for your reply Papy :D
I have 90GB free in the MicroSD card so I guess that is enough space for patches.
I tried Swiss r813 and it still happens.
Tried analog output and still happens.
The minimap in TP looks ok at least for the time I played.

I currently can't load from original disc, I have it but it is in my mother's basement and due to the lock down I can't go get it :(

I tried RSIII because I also read it was very demanding and wanted to see if it was something game specific but I guess RSIII hanging proves it is hardware related

If I compile Swiss with debug flag ON do you think it would log some trace out to Gecko USB after this issue starts?
shyrivi

Post by shyrivi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:29 am

I finally replaced the theremal pads and the issue is still there. I will wait until I can get the original disc and will try again.

Thanks!
shyrivi

Post by shyrivi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 pm

I was able to test with the original game today and I didn't have any problem. I was able to play normally for a long time and get pass to points that I couldn't before due to glitches starting to happen before. Sounds weird to me but could this be something related to Swiss? video memory corruption for some reason?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Could you give more precise reproduction steps than "playing for a while"? If you could just sit into one spot, that'd be perfect.
shyrivi

Post by shyrivi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:40 pm
Could you give more precise reproduction steps than "playing for a while"? If you could just sit into one spot, that'd be perfect.
As I said at the beginning I don't have clear reproduction steps. It didn't seem to happen at some particular point in the game or at least I couldn't find anything that triggers the issue. So how can I asume it is not happening using the original disc? Well of course it is not 100% sure but I reached a point in the game, the phazon mines, where there's a long way to go from a save room to the next one, you have to go to Central Dynamo, and in between you have to kill a zillion pirates, an elite pirate and another flying thing I don't remember the name. I tried to complete that part more than 10 times and I couldn't because sooner or later this issue popped up and I couldn't continue because I wasn't able see anything. Today I tried with the original disc and I was able to do it first try, I kept playing further and had no issue.

Thinking of all this I just realized: Today I let CGVideo run with the default resolution, I think it was 576i50 but back then with Swiss I used to play 460p60, anyway I remember trying almost every mode and always happened. I'll spend some time tomorrow trying different things, if you have any idea about what to try please let me know. I can also compile a debug version of Swiss and dump logs to the computer using Viper extreme usb adapter but I don't know if that would help