Running Snes9xGX on a SD CRT (component) is a nightmare

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
hypermuffin

Running Snes9xGX on a SD CRT (component) is a nightmare

Post by hypermuffin » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:09 pm

Been looking for a way to have snes9xgx running in 240p or 480i through component but I've had no luck yet. When I load the .dol it automatically launches in 480p (which my standard def CRT can't handle), I can only bypass this by unplugging the component cables from the console before loading the app but then when I try to load a rom it also launches in 480p. Furthermore, if I bypass this additional resolution change it switches back to 480p when I open the emulator's menu.

Is there anything I can change on the settings.xml file that would make the emulator's interface stay in either 240p or 480i? Thanks in advance!
hypermuffin

Re: Running Snes9xGX on a SD CRT (component) is a nightmare

Post by hypermuffin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 pm

After messing around with the videomode/render values on the .xml and getting the same results I've decided to give up.

Does somebody know about a snes9xgx retroarch core that doesn't crash and runs the games decently?
vsilvalopes

Post by vsilvalopes » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:04 pm

What are you using to launch SNES9X GX? I think that Swiss has an option to force a DOL to launch in a specific video mode.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:09 pm

Swiss can't force homebrew, it can supply parameters to it via command line if it accepts them but I don't believe Snes9xGX does.

The only way I've been able to force 240p is to go into an individual game and change it there in the past. I also had to have it on NTSC/unfiltered or whatever before it'd even let me see the option but I believe that has at least been fixed.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 01, 2020 7:51 pm

Try with composite or S-Video… :?

I'm afraid running SNE9xGX trough Retroarch will just add to this nightmare. While the more we are to try, the more it will be fixed to properly work. I personally only got Theodore to work OK on the v1.8.5, the default resolution on PAL GCs is a total nonsense to begin with.

It's such a shame the US never had a standard to get good picture on their CRT TVs. :roll:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
niuus

Post by niuus » Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 am

hypermuffin wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:09 pm
Been looking for a way to have snes9xgx running in 240p or 480i through component but I've had no luck yet. When I load the .dol it automatically launches in 480p (which my standard def CRT can't handle), I can only bypass this by unplugging the component cables from the console before loading the app but then when I try to load a rom it also launches in 480p. Furthermore, if I bypass this additional resolution change it switches back to 480p when I open the emulator's menu.

Is there anything I can change on the settings.xml file that would make the emulator's interface stay in either 240p or 480i? Thanks in advance!
Try:
https://github.com/niuus/snes9xrx
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Sat May 02, 2020 11:43 pm

niuus wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 am
hypermuffin wrote:

Try:
I'm having the same problem unfortunately :( I tried values 0-4 for videomode on the settings file and it still chooses automatic.
Seems like the emulator isn't reading the video settings on the .xml or something. I had to change the in-game resolution to original each time I loaded a game even though I noticed the emulator changed the render value to 2 on the file.
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Sat May 02, 2020 11:52 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:51 pm
Try with composite or S-Video… :?

I'm afraid running SNE9xGX trough Retroarch will just add to this nightmare. While the more we are to try, the more it will be fixed to properly work. I personally only got Theodore to work OK on the v1.8.5, the default resolution on PAL GCs is a total nonsense to begin with.

It's such a shame the US never had a standard to get good picture on their CRT TVs. :roll:
I guess that'd be my only option for snes games. Very sad since 240p with component looks so good and it's only possible if I unplug and plug these expensive cables a bunch of times :cry:
niuus

Post by niuus » Fri May 08, 2020 12:53 am

hypermuffin wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:43 pm
niuus wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 am
hypermuffin wrote:

Try:
I'm having the same problem unfortunately :( I tried values 0-4 for videomode on the settings file and it still chooses automatic.
Seems like the emulator isn't reading the video settings on the .xml or something. I had to change the in-game resolution to original each time I loaded a game even though I noticed the emulator changed the render value to 2 on the file.
hypermuffin wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:52 pm
I guess that'd be my only option for snes games. Very sad since 240p with component looks so good and it's only possible if I unplug and plug these expensive cables a bunch of times :cry:
The problem i am seeing is that the emulators set itself to 480p when it detects the component cable, since it assumes a progressive display. The bug went undetected all this time because only rich and lucky people had this expensive cable, lol. I only use composite and s-video in my Gamecube so i never ran into a problem like that.

If you check Snes9x GX history and happen to detect which commit added that "feature" i could try to roll back that specific change.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 am

No, that's a safe thing to do as hidef devices very rarely support 240p and are not supposed to do so, but providing the user a setting to overcome that default behavior would have been welcome.
It's probably a feature from day one of this emulator porting to GC.

Edit: seems that the setting for 480i forcing (no 240P available) is only set in game, while the menu is still in 480p. Unless the emu offers this option, you have only two solutions:
Get a GCVideo device (you can disable 480p in GCVideo options, but doesn't seem to work, at last for emus).
Get a PAL GC.
In both case, it may not be cheap.

I have still to try something quite simple: cover the DigitalAV plug pin dedicated to the "HD" detection, so that the GC ignores the cable is in, while it should still work.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Thu May 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, getting the feeling it might be possible to work this out :)
Papy.G wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 am
Edit: seems that the setting for 480i forcing (no 240P available) is only set in game, while the menu is still in 480p. Unless the emu offers this option, you have only two solutions:
Get a GCVideo device (you can disable 480p in GCVideo options, but doesn't seem to work, at last for emus).
Get a PAL GC.
In both case, it may not be cheap.

I have still to try something quite simple: cover the DigitalAV plug pin dedicated to the "HD" detection, so that the GC ignores the cable is in, while it should still work.
I'm actually using the carby component cables (which are GCVideo), might give a try disabling 480p but I'm almost sure it'll act as other GCVideo devices.

Do you happen to know which pin is the HD detection one? This sounds promising.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 pm

You don't need to worry about the pin. The GCVideo menu setting controls it.
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Fri May 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:52 pm
You don't need to worry about the pin. The GCVideo menu setting controls it.
Got into the menu today and confirmed disabling 480p doesn't apply to homebrew :?
I might have to seek the individual pin and cover it with tape
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri May 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Um, it definitely does.

Make sure you've set "Allow 480p mode" to Off before booting a DOL and saved settings.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 15, 2020 7:05 pm

Chinese GCplug GCVideo 2.4c here, it definitely doesn't. :(
SWISS boots in 576p mode despite of the 480p mode disabled and setting stored before a power-cycle double-checked before and after the power cycle.
Maybe the pin is hardwired in the GC Plug.

I suggested to mask the pin as I thought he uses his Nintendo RCA modded D-terminal cable. ;)

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 pm

You can check this way (you'll need to refresh the page):
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Sat May 16, 2020 12:24 am

this is a theft! :o
I don't have a component cable! # :( :( :(
SWISS USER :geek:
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 am

You don't want to see my bundle of cables and adapters.
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Do you have your Swiss video mode set to auto? I had mine set to 480i but put it on auto to check this out.
After disabling 480p on the GCVideo menu it still shows Yes under progressive video for some reason (even after refreshing).
Maybe it's an issue with my GCVideo version or my Swiss version? No idea :(
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun May 17, 2020 11:23 am

I would've guessed it's because my GC Plug has this hardwired, or a solder bridge on the connector, but Carby component should not suffer the same design flaws and production problems as a chinese low end product.

What is your GCVideo version?
Try the pin masking.

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm

hypermuffin wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 am
Do you have your Swiss video mode set to auto? I had mine set to 480i but put it on auto to check this out.
After disabling 480p on the GCVideo menu it still shows Yes under progressive video for some reason (even after refreshing).
Maybe it's an issue with my GCVideo version or my Swiss version? No idea :(
The video mode or Swiss version is irrelevant. It's only a readout of the GPIO.
hypermuffin

Post by hypermuffin » Sun May 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Apparently carby component uses a "custom version" of GCVideo, I'd have to ask insurrection which version they based it on.
But nevermind all that, I masked pin 1 on the cable and it worked! No more pesky auto 480p:

Thanks a lot for the help guys :D Now I'll be able to enjoy emulators on my gamecube with component
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm

It's based off GCVideo-DVI v2.4d.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Doesn't work, since I'm in auto mode, it should automatically switch from 576p to i when I set "allow 480p" to "off", no?
Diego borella wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:24 am
I don't have a component cable! # :( :( :(
What do you think you would do with it?
Analog is the way to go for analog displays, digital is the way to go for digital displays, unless you have a high def CRT or a Plasma display with no HDMI, there's no way you would want such a digital-to-analog cable on your GameCube.
Extrems wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm
The video mode or Swiss version is irrelevant. It's only a readout of the GPIO.
So where can the problem lie?

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon May 18, 2020 1:50 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 am
Doesn't work, since I'm in auto mode, it should automatically switch from 576p to i when I set "allow 480p" to "off", no?
It's only a suggestion for software.

While you could poll the GPIO every frame and dynamically change the video mode, I don't know of any software that does that.
Papy.G wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 am
What do you think you would do with it?
Analog is the way to go for analog displays, digital is the way to go for digital displays, unless you have a high def CRT or a Plasma display with no HDMI, there's no way you would want such a digital-to-analog cable on your GameCube.
You can only use 1080i with analog. You also need analog for the OSSC.