Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
krrroon

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by krrroon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 am

Hello im running a 50hz PAL CRT and trying to figure out how to get the best experience with GBI.

I use SR-version and dol2gci to set "--zoom=2.375". without out "scan-mode=interlace" the picture flickers alot.
and ofcourse with interlace on the picture is not as sharp and dont give that 240p feel and scanlines.

Tried with "--scan-mode=progressive" but picture goes black.

Is there any other way to zoom the picture to fullscreen and still keep it crisp... ?

Thanks!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 am

Isn't the HF version preferred for CRT use?

Go for an integer zoom value to begin with, then, don't stick to 50Hz modes.
If you want bigger picture and crisper graphics, go for a 480i mode, if you want thicker scanlines, at the expense of the picture size, go for a 240p mode.

As I see you tend to zoom to less than 2,5, I suspect the CRT is a 4/3 ratio, and you play GBA games, use 240p and x2 zoom, it should work well.

mario64 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 pm
Thank you for the response! Is there a preset which does this? If not, are you saying to disable line doubling in GCvideo but then set Swiss options for GBI to 480p and 3x zoom?
Yes, in GC Video, set line doubling only for 240/288p, but not for 480/576i.
In GBI, when you'll find what is comfortable for you, you'll be able to create your own .cli file with these so you won't have to setup in the GUI each time you use it.

MichiS97 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:12 pm
I'm still experiencing the exact same issues. I cannot make screenshots (OSD states "No such device") and the arguments from the cli file are not in effect.

EDIT: I appended the contents of the CLI file to the DOL (using "cat gbi.cli >> gbi.dol") and renamed the dol gbi.dol+cli and it still doesn't work...
I haven't explored the cli possibilities at the moment, and don't know much about using "cat" command in MS-DOS, but don't you have to setup the volume/folder path where it should record in it?
Still the other arguments should take effect. Try with one of the examples CLI files, try to append them and see if it still works, or not.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
krrroon

Post by krrroon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:37 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 am
Isn't the HF version preferred for CRT use?

Go for an integer zoom value to begin with, then, don't stick to 50Hz modes.
If you want bigger picture and crisper graphics, go for a 480i mode, if you want thicker scanlines, at the expense of the picture size, go for a 240p mode.

As I see you tend to zoom to less than 2,5, I suspect the CRT is a 4/3 ratio, and you play GBA games, use 240p and x2 zoom, it should work well.

hm yeah its 4:3. but im still confused, for example when i do 240p test suite on my wii it fills the screen fully with crisp picture and nice scanlines.
why do you have to play with big black boarders around the picture when i do advance games on gbi??

i will try HF version instead. "--zoom=2 & --scan-mode=interlace" would equal 480i right?
i got "--zoom=2.375" from the wiki and it fills the screen nicely but problem is it only works interlaced = blurry...
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Because the advance' resolution is 240x160, so when you're in 240p mode, you can only have 160 plain lines, if you want to fill the 240lines field, you have to get some that are mixed (one third) at best. The problem is the ratio of the 3:2 screen doesn't fit in a 4:3 scheme, so you can't zoom to x1,5 (x3 in GBI, the zoom value is based on the 480lines ability) without loosing a part of the image in cropping it left and right.

If it is interlace, it is at least 480 lines (can be 576, though), there is no 240i mode. The fact thet it is blurry doesn't come from the fact it is interlaced, if you can try 2,375 zoom in 240p mode, it would probably look much blurry.

The best you can do, if you're not an absolute fan of the scanlines, is set your TV to 16:9, then GBI (try first with the standard version, from where you can get back to SWISS pressing start for long from the OSD menu) set to 480i, and try 16:9, 16:10, then 3:2 in this order (always with zoom to x3) to see the one that suits you best (or best to the way your TV stretches the picture), this way you may get big solid pixels.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:52 pm

I'm sorry if this has been asked before:
When I use my Game Boy Advance as a controller, is there any way to perform a button combo for the Power Switch action? Since there is no X button on the GBA, I can't press B, X and Start like on the regular GC controller...
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm

There is not.
karl_oz

Post by karl_oz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:41 pm

Okay, thanks. Any chance that it could be implemented in a future release?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 pm

The high-fidelity edition was broken for the past 3 months and nobody told me.

I'm not happy.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:49 am

I'm sorry, it was once told me not to use HF version on LCD, and the CRT I planned on getting back from my parent's fried in a crispy-smoky flavor at the first power-on, so I'm stuck on LCDs thus only use standard version…

Oh, and I modded a GameCube mains adapter to make amp-metering, and it seems that GBI draws less power than the original boot disc ISO, funny!

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 pm

What are you talking about? All its uses involved a LCD in the display chain. It supporting CRTs is a recent development and require specific cables.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:47 pm
It's not their SD card. It's some kind of hardware quirk I still haven't figured out and I'm personally unable to reproduce.
I don't have GB_player. :roll:
However, I can start GBI, and it served me as a kind of plug-in for the Swiss!
with that, I change the color of the Swiss from blue to red, SWISS (not games) is in PAL. :!:
My NTSC Cube.

and Especially in PAL Games, using GBI and its variants, helps to stabilize, execute, adjust colors, etc. remove green hiccups.
I am not 100% aware of the use of GBI <, but for me it is a plugin for the Swiss. :geek:
SWISS USER :geek:
MR.JOE

Post by MR.JOE » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm

First of all thanks for this amazing piece of software.
I know the topic of SNES controller adapters has been raised a couple of times. Although I've comfortably tried using Y/B as A/B in the Type C control scheme, it feels somehow awkward to my button memory when playing on a SNES controller. Would it be possible to add another control scheme allowing for X/Y to be mapped as A/B (and leaving the A/B buttons as unmapped to avoid accidently hitting them)? Thanks in advance!
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:48 pm

I still wonder why so many people are digging such weird buttons mappings other than just how they were on the original hardware! :roll:
Well, i've been used to claw the A button in Link's awakening so… :mrgreen:
Extrems wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:30 pm
What are you talking about? All its uses involved a LCD in the display chain. It supporting CRTs is a recent development and require specific cables.
My bad, I don't know why I don't use this, maybe because it is 240p by default, my TV doesn't know what to do with it and I can't properly zoom to x3? Anyways, I'll give it a try when my GCPlug would have been updated and I'd have set up the right .cli that will fit my needs.
Extrems wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:47 pm
It's not their SD card. It's some kind of hardware quirk I still haven't figured out and I'm personally unable to reproduce.
Can it be related to Gamecube/GBPlayer revisions?
Diego borella wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:53 pm
I can start GBI, and it served me as a kind of plug-in for the Swiss!
With that, I change the color of the Swiss from blue to red, SWISS (not games) is in PAL. :!:
My NTSC Cube.

and Especially in PAL Games, using GBI and its variants, helps to stabilize, execute, adjust colors, etc. remove green hiccups.
I am not 100% aware of the use of GBI <, but for me it is a plugin for the Swiss. :geek:
What do you mean? and how do you do that?
Don't you have a DOL-002?
If you have display problems in PAL games, just use the video format settings to force the progressive mode, but never forget to set it in-game accordingly to get the right line count (pressing B at launch).

Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 pm

so is swiss when I use GBI as a plugin.
it can also turn green ... :!:
My NTSC cube.
Attachments
20200429_041617.jpg
Swiss in PAL-m
(1.87 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20200515_083808.jpg
Swiss in PAL
(1.58 MiB) Not downloaded yet
SWISS USER :geek:
MR.JOE

Post by MR.JOE » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

I saw there has been a new version released. Any noticable changes?

@Extrems
Is there a chance you could implement another control scheme mapping X/Y as A/B as mentioned earlier? Would be really helpful for people with larger hands. Thanks.
mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 pm

After all this time I finally came to learn how to use CLI and make DOL+CLI files. There are many different options listed on the various GBI wiki pages but nothing which provides recommended best quality settings for those using GCvideo 3.0 HDMI solutions such as GCHD or GCDual. Specific questions:

1) When using HDMI, is Speedrunning the optimal version to use?
2) Which zoom factor provides integer scaling for GBA games? Would this be 2x, 2.5x or 3x? This is assuming a 480p screen resolution. 160x3=480 so I assume 3x?
3) Should I leave Scaler at the default of Area or set to Nearest?
4) Is 3:2 aspect ratio the most correct/accurate? My TV is set to 4:3

Thanks for any responses
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon May 25, 2020 8:40 pm

mario64 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 pm
There are many different options listed on the various GBI wiki pages but nothing which provides recommended best quality settings for those using GCvideo 3.0 HDMI solutions such as GCHD or GCDual.
Huh?
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Standard_Edition#GCVideo-DVI_v3.0_and_later_2
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/Speedrunning_Edition#GCVideo-DVI
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Interface/High-Fidelity_Edition#GCVideo-DVI_v3.0_and_later_2
mario64 wrote:
1) When using HDMI, is Speedrunning the optimal version to use?
No.
mario64 wrote:
3) Should I leave Scaler at the default of Area or set to Nearest?
Default.
mario64 wrote:
4) Is 3:2 aspect ratio the most correct/accurate? My TV is set to 4:3
No. That's only for capture devices and video processors. If your TV is set to 4:3, set GBI for 4:3. If your TV is set to 16:9, set GBI for 16:9.
mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks Extrems. Thing is, those GCvideo settings all use HD60 which isn’t compatible with HDMI

Which version is recommended with HDMI, Standard?

With respect to aspect ratio I did find that any zoom setting > 2.5 cuts off edges of the EverDrive menu unless using 3:2 AR
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 pm

What are you talking about? They're specifically for HDMI.

Set your TV and GBI to 16:9.
mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:59 pm

I was going by this "Note: GCVideo-DVI is only designed to support NTSC, PAL and PAL-60". To me that reads you cannot use anything but NTSC or PAL with GCvideo.
None of the gcvideo presets work for me. They all produce a no signal or mode not supported error on my Samsung Q60R. With certain ones I get audio but most just produce an error
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon May 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Unfortunately you'll have to stick to boring old 480p then. I can only advise you to use 16:9 and setting the digital color format to YC422.
mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:09 pm

No problem. Thanks for the help
Cuddles

Post by Cuddles » Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 am

How does one appended a .cil configuration to a .dol file?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri May 29, 2020 6:29 am

You have to concatenate both files with the .cli at the end, DOS prompt has the "cat" command for that, if what I've read is correct, but I haven't done it myself ATM to confirm this. :oops:
Anyway, if you launch from SWISS, you won't have to do that, it will apply the settings with the separate .cli file in the same folder as the .dol ;)

Cuddles

Post by Cuddles » Fri May 29, 2020 6:46 am

Papy.G wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:29 am
You have to concatenate both files with the .cli at the end, DOS prompt has the "cat" command for that, if what I've read is correct, but I haven't done it myself ATM to confirm this. :oops:
Anyway, if you launch from SWISS, you won't have to do that, it will apply the settings with the separate .cli file in the same folder as the .dol ;)
Ah so its just a separate file with the configuration in it. Guessing it has to be named the same as the .dol file correct?

The only reason I am trying to mess around with the advance settings is because motion seems blurry to me compared to the gameboy player disk.

Also how do I get a frame to go around the video? I downloaded the extras package and put it the same folder but none show up.