Scart cable to component mod possible?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Scart cable to component mod possible?

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Hello I just bought one of the better RGB mod boards for n64 and scart cable meant for use in snes. My question is can I cut the connector off stipe the wires to get to red green and blue wires solder them to a component cable (and solder the ground of course will that work? Never used or saw one of these pal connectors before so any help would be great
Papy.G

Re: Scart cable to component mod possible?

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 am

No, you can't go straight from RGBs (where signal can goes through 4 wires) to YUV (where signal goes through 3 wires), you need at last some analog active chips.
Don't cut the connector, find the female one to make an adapter to the display you want to connect to (BNC, sub-D HD15…), or buy a male Nintendo connector to make the straight appropriate cable.

If you want to know the "strange connector" wireing, seek for "Peritel" and "Euro-SCART" but you may end-up with something weird if you are on an NTSC Cube, as long as you won't get 12V off the console the regular way.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:19 am
No, you can't go straight from RGBs (where signal can goes through 4 wires) to YUV (where signal goes through 3 wires), you need at last some analog active chips.
Don't cut the connector, find the female one to make an adapter to the display you want to connect to (BNC, sub-D HD15…), or buy a male Nintendo connector to make the straight appropriate cable.

If you want to know the "strange connector" wireing, seek for "Peritel" and "Euro-SCART" but you may end-up with something weird if you are on an NTSC Cube, as long as you won't get 12V off the console the regular way.
Ok I'm going to have to correct you. Yea you can convert it since I already did it since no one said anything and the 4th is composite Csync then ground H-sync and Vsync its a PAL version of a VGA cable with composite and left and right sound
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:04 am

andre104623 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 am
Ok I'm going to have to correct you. Yea you can convert it since I already did it since no one said anything and the 4th is composite Csync then ground H-sync and Vsync its a PAL version of a VGA cable with composite and left and right sound
I didn't write that it can't be done at all, but that it can't be done without active analog chips.
Unless you can tell me how to straight wire RGBs to YPrPb or to YCrCb?
RGB in Euro-SCART is not supposed to have the same voltage as in the standard VGA specs, let alone the sync on green, composite sync, and composite video on composite sync variants. While yes, Euro-SCART to VGA may be the simpler way to go, from an electronic components point of view, and making an adapter for that matter can be useful, for someone having many older consoles.

Euro-SCART wireing is far more than just a VGA with stereo sound, it has composite video and audio back from the TV, remote signal and display ratio setting, remote wake up, all this from the source.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:04 am
andre104623 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:43 am
I didn't write that it can't be done at all, but that it can't be done without active analog chips.
Unless you can tell me how to straight wire RGBs to YPrPb or to YCrCb?
RGB in Euro-SCART is not supposed to have the same voltage as in the standard VGA specs, let alone the sync on green, composite sync, and composite video on composite sync variants. While yes, Euro-SCART to VGA may be the simpler way to go, from an electronic components point of view, and making an adapter for that matter can be useful, for someone having many older consoles.

Euro-SCART wireing is far more than just a VGA with stereo sound, it has composite video and audio back from the TV, remote signal and display ratio setting, remote wake up, all this from the source.
I got it working with vga I personally haven’t used component yet I didn’t have any component cables to cut. I soldered right to the back of the scart pcb housing the connector. I used 220 ohm Resistors To the pins 12 7 and I forget the other I need to find the Schematic I printed but it was R G and B not to forget ground and used my SNES to se if I got a picture on my computer Monitor which I did no sound of course. It’s a sync on green scart cable don’t know if that makes a difference

I haven’t got the N64 RGB board yet
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:47 pm

I will like to say that I ordered a clone of a OSSC - Frame Meister box’s and just plug the scart into that then convert it to HDMI instead I wanted to to if I could get it to work that was the point of this those hd Retrovision component cables are out of stock everywhere and so over priced it’s crazy 80 to 160 dollars??!! Yea no I refuse to pay that
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 am

I would like to say that my N64 budget RGB/HDMI project has turned out wonderful. The HD retrovision component cable is not being made at this time and ebay had one for 180 dollar yea no go there. So next I was looking at those clone OSSC boxes and bought an SCART cable for the N64 so I was going to do this but then I found the perfect cable. Its called Pound cables I paid for the SNES version it works on RGB signals and projects the signal to 720P out HDMI and there USA sold and 29.95.

So I soldered the RGB amp to my NS1 N64 went well wires nice a short 18.75, then the Pound hdmi cable 30.00 and thats it 50 dollars for HDMI N64 and also the pound hdmi cable will not work without the RGB modchip since it needs those signals. The picture is just as good as ultraHDMI without the scanlines thats the only thing I would want a OSD with scanlines and other stuff. But if your not making money right now and want N64 RGB/HDMI greatness this is the cheapest way to go and don't buy those pre-modded n64 ebay there junk buy a good RGB modchip I got an NS1 N64 so I bought the nicest one for my DAC