Game disc not reading, no visible scratches

All your console related questions and answers :)
brotherbrick

Game disc not reading, no visible scratches

Post by brotherbrick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:37 am

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but I just got final fantasy crystal chronicles and some gba cables, but after I go into either single player or multiplayer, it says the game disc cannot be read. I got it yesterday, then went today and got it resurfaced and it still doesn't work :( All of my other games work, so I don't think it would be an issue with the laser on my gamecube, but I'm so lost. Maybe there's something else I'm missing that could be causing the problem, but I don't know. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Papy.G

Re: Game disc not reading, no visible scratches

Post by Papy.G » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am

Look if the bright surface doesn't show blistering or tint of some sort somewhere, from the borders or the center, I broke my SMS disc that way, it fell then the two plates are separating a little, enough to break it.
Also I had an issue once with one of my games I use to boot SWISS: I had just cleaned them, but they didn't work for any reason, I re-swiped them with a soft cloth, then it worked… :roll:
Now FFCC works nice with recent SWISS releases, no more slowdowns, so if you can, dump your disc with Cleanrip, then run the backup off an SD card, the cube is much more silent this way (FFCC is heavy on disc seeks).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
brotherbrick

Post by brotherbrick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:07 am
Look if the bright surface doesn't show blistering or tint of some sort somewhere, from the borders or the center, I broke my SMS disc that way, it fell then the two plates are separating a little, enough to break it.
Also I had an issue once with one of my games I use to boot SWISS: I had just cleaned them, but they didn't work for any reason, I re-swiped them with a soft cloth, then it worked… :roll:
Now FFCC works nice with recent SWISS releases, no more slowdowns, so if you can, dump your disc with Cleanrip, then run the backup off an SD card, the cube is much more silent this way (FFCC is heavy on disc seeks).
So I don’t think the disc has any blisters or tints, maybe it’s a bit scratched up in the middle of the disc, but I think some of my other game’s are like that and work fine. Weird thing is it’ll sometimes go to the opening cinematic or the first level and afterwards gives the “cannot read disk” message.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am

Stuck grease on the optical bloc rails sometimes lead to this, do you have another game to test?
Room heat and usage will solve such issue
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
brotherbrick

Post by brotherbrick » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:45 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:58 am
Stuck grease on the optical bloc rails sometimes lead to this, do you have another game to test?
Room heat and usage will solve such issue
All of my other games work perfectly, its just FFCC that isn't working.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:19 am

Did you wash this disc with dish soap and cold water? Sometimes fingreprints leave sweat marks that may get spread and unnoticeable if cleaned with dry soft cloth, but still mess with reading ability. (I have seen that on audio CDs too.

Clean the disc, clean the GC's lens, and try to dump it with cleanrip, if you can, or play the game and see what's happening.

Beware to save as often as possible, and if nothing gets better, find the ISO on the net, then run it off an SD card. ;)