Love swiss, hate DVD-r

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
cuboidsquared

Love swiss, hate DVD-r

Post by cuboidsquared » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:17 pm

hello new member here, Loving swiss at the moment, unfortunately for me I cannot get decent DVD-r's to load
i've had to adjust my pot to around 160 (previously 200) just to get a copy of swiss
to load, I'm aware there is now a way to auto load a game in swiss?
I'm just wondering if there is a way to either autoreset swiss when it loads off disc to
load a newer .dol off my SD card to get the latest version running ?

if not I'll just have to carry on as I am.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Love swiss, hate DVD-r

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm

Yes, both things are possible.

You could use a memory card with a exploited save file and a compatible game to boot homebrew instead, there's a compatible list of games on the wiki.

Swiss will search a bunch of devices for a boot.dol and if found it will boot it, so you can drop newer versions on SD this way.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:31 am

Don't be afraid by the compatibility list for games booting off SD cards, it has just been reset to get a big and proper update.
Every game should work, and if one doesn't, reporting here usually results in a patch for SWISS, so the next release will be ok.
SWISS devs are among the most reactive ones i've seen.

Try to setup a game exploit or two, revert back your pot setting, and just forget about using dvd-r.

Xéno/pot adjust/dvd-r is a technique of the past, so many people get there lost, not knowing where to begin to get homebrew running on the cube, sometimes with a fried laser, as many sellers just throw away chips, discs, and card adaptors often for big money, then leave you stranded out there.
I think it deserves a disclaimer or a sticky somewhere to get the people aware about that. Maybe on the WIKI?
Last edited by Papy.G on Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
cuboidsquared

Post by cuboidsquared » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:29 pm

ok so what I've done is named the update boot.dol on my sd2sp2, I'm going to have a look into the softmod side of it and readjust my pot back up
I just want swiss to load the quickest way possible without strain on the lazer, I'm really hoping to snag a hyperboot so i can just load direct into swiss
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:37 am

The best and fastest method for booting SWISS with an unmodded console is a PAL console and PAL SuperMarioSunshine, but it suggest that you only use NTSC games then, or never use your PAL games set to 60Hz (those who are 60Hz only are OK).
Otherwise, booting from a game exploit may take some time (40s with 007:AUF, for example).
With the Xeno modchip, you can use the PAL SMS exploit even if your GC is NTSC, and if you don't care about PAL games, you'll be OK.
On a sidenote, SMS is not the cheapest of the games that can be exploited, if you don't already have one.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)