Wii Dvd drive replasement???

All your console related questions and answers :)
xGRUMPYx

Wii Dvd drive replasement???

Post by xGRUMPYx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:35 am

well lately i been hearing a weird noise inside the wii, its a noise that it sounds that the wii is struggling reading the disc, is it time to replase thhe dvd drive? or just the laser inside? BTW i also use backups.
There's Heroes And There's Legends, Heroes Get Remember But Legends Never Die..
xGRUMPYx

Re: Wii Dvd drive replasement???

Post by xGRUMPYx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:38 am

its me again, how can i tell if i get the right dvd drive for my wii? or doesnt matter? i havent got any disc errors or anything but worried the drive will die soon, is that noise normal?
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 am

You can replace the DVD drive with a new one from the internet if you're comfortable doing it yourself. Any one will work but the the newest ones like D3-2 and D4 don't read backups.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:32 am

can you give me the full serial number of the old drives? is it easy to replace? is there soldering involve? tanx for replyin back btw
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 am

I'm not too certain with regards to the serial numbers but you can check it out here or here. It's easy to replace if you have experience disassembling consoles and there is no soldering involved. Just follow a guide I guess. You could also take the opportunity to install a WiiKey fusion or Wode while your console is disassembled. There would be no extra effort involved.

EDIT - forgot, you need a triwing screw driver. You can buy it from the same places that sell new dvd drivers and modchips.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 am

oh okay.. yea im not saying im a full expert or anything but im full experienced on fixing consoles, i opened my wii ones just to clean the laser but the problem didnt go away, time to replace the dvd drive then :) thanks for your help..
steffen

Post by steffen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:10 pm

doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm

That's a pretty good guide. I was not aware of it. Try it out before you sink some cash into a new dvd drive I guess. Can't hurt to try since you're not getting read errors yet.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:21 pm

thanks for the guide but that aint my problem i tried it once, the problem is that the drive it makes a ``beep beep beep" sound alot of times, and i heard that the drive its struggling reading the disc, so is that a normal sound? or im just over reacting?
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, I think what you're describing is the sound of the pickup head seeking. It's a normal sound but it's normally pretty quiet. Are you having slowdowns or other errors in games? If not, you may just have an abnormally loud dvd drive.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:27 am

so far no slowdowns or errors havent happen, that beeping sound will stop rarely ones in a while.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:31 am

I've had it happen on my release date wii a few times with Super Smash Bros. Brawl since it is a dual layer original. It will try to re-read data repeatedly, then give up (drive will reset, you'll hear it re-seek), and it'll try again.

xGRUMPYx, I'd say if you've been using cheap media for a while then it's possibly time to replace that laser when it does eventually die. Or, get a Wode ;)
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:53 am

@emu_kidid wow just read about the wode, they are expensive but worth buying, good thing i just need to replace the laser not the whole thing ;) ..oh btw i have another question is it safe leaving the wiiconnect24 On? people say it is, but i want to be really sure it doesnt brick my wii or delete any homebrew related stuff??
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:28 pm

I have wiiconnect24 off. The unit runs cooler in this mode. I recommend doing so.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:48 pm

thanks for the reply, i just read that wiiconnect24 causes the wii to overheat faster and burns out the gpu, but that only happen to the early wii's that were released.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:29 am

I wouldn't activate wiiconnect24 because the features are not worth the energy it consumes :P
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Really? I have a launch day wii that I very rarely power completely off. It's never once given me trouble and I've had Wiiconnect24 active since I got the thing.
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Hells Guardian wrote:Really? I have a launch day wii that I very rarely power completely off. It's never once given me trouble and I've had Wiiconnect24 active since I got the thing.
The fan is not running unless the Wii is on I believe. This thread lists the power consumption of the Wii:

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/forum/ar ... -4254.html

While Wii is playing Zelda, it takes on average 17W
While Wii downloads new content, it takes on average 13W
While Wii is using wc24 (orange light), it takes on average 10W
While Wii is idle (red light), it takes on average 3W

So with more heat without the fan running, there's a potential for your components to fail quicker. Personally, I don't need the up-to-date weather/news update (The PC is better for this). When there's a system update, I'll just update it then. I don't need a background update process.
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Hmmm fair enough I can see how that would cause a problem. Is there an average how much of the life of the system is decreased by it? As long as this thing lasts at least 20 years of off and on use I don't really care much.
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, I hope you do report back to this thread one day when your Wii fails. I'll do the same for mine.

I've heard of people having problems with their Wii artifacting. That is, the graphic chip goes bad.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/2501

Just google search for "wii artifacting bad gpu"
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:43 pm

I have wc24 turned off (red light) because it keeps my usb hdd running when it's on.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

thanks for the replies, i guess ill leave the WC24 off when im not using the wii, i will only use it when im using the wii shop channel & nintendo channel ect.
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 pm

doktor_krotch do you have priiloader installed or any patches to the IOS that the system menu is using?
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:41 am

Ya, I have priiloader installed. I'm guessing there's a hack you can apply to get it to turn off the usb hdds in standby.
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:27 am

i was disassembling the wii today for the 2nd time just to take dust out and hoping the problem would go away but no luck, and i noticed the laser is movin back in fourth with that beep beep sound it only does it randomly but more when is loading, how do i know if i gotta replace just the laser lence or the entire dvd drive?? if only the laser, does it really matter if i get any type of laser replacement?? i want to get the right laser for my backups.