Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
liquitt

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Post by liquitt » Fri May 06, 2011 1:12 pm

i just got paid so i said fuck it and paid the 70 euros.... :)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri May 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Most likely I will get one Eventually. I'm not sure If I'll use it in my GC or my Wii laptop I'm planning though :D
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri May 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Nice. Seeing all these wode modes around just make me want a Cube compatible with the wode and a wode more and more!
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri May 06, 2011 1:38 pm

Ashen wrote:Most likely I will get one Eventually. I'm not sure If I'll use it in my GC or my Wii laptop I'm planning though :D
you can fit the wode itself into almost everything because it's just 2 boards...well and a harddisk!
that wii stand is buttugly and huuuuge :D

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey Ashen, which of the FCC connectors has the cheapest price? $10 for the newhavendisplay one seems a little steep, considering what it is. It looks to be the easiest one to solder to, though.
http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.ph ... ts_id=2476
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Fri May 06, 2011 9:52 pm

Totally agreed! that stand looks like what I left in my toilet this morning!
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri May 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Zeturi, yep that newhaven one is about the best/cheapest anyones found so far.
Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat May 07, 2011 1:40 am

Mkay, thanks for the help! I should have all my parts quite soon!
steffen

Post by steffen » Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Anyone tried one of those WKF clones? E.g. http://www.focalprice.com/GW385W/Wasp_F ... White.html

might be worth a look :)
Eliot

Post by Eliot » Tue May 17, 2011 2:32 pm

The wiikey fusion is just 1.87 more expensive. http://www.focalprice.com/GW387X/Key_Fu ... r_Wii.html
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue May 17, 2011 3:35 pm

1.87 - to have or not to have!

;)

steffen

Post by steffen » Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

yeah, but that's also a cheap clone :p
Eliot

Post by Eliot » Tue May 17, 2011 7:21 pm

how you know that a clone?
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 am

Someone came across it 20 to 30 pages ago :p
sm4rty

Post by sm4rty » Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 am

hehe it would be nice if there were clones of wode for 30$....
but there arent any
Hells Guardian

Post by Hells Guardian » Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 pm

The wode is actually not that complex a chip. Not to mention the asking price is rather fair.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu May 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Little update on what I've been doing the past week or so. Not a whole lot you guys haven't seen from the last one, but I wanted to show I'm making progress.

Got pretty much everything mounted into the front half of the case of the 2nd GameCube Fusion. Controller is 90% wired up, tested and working after a full day of fighting with it. After ripping the first controller board out of the portable and wiring up a 2nd I discovered it wasn't working proper because of a wire I had forgotten to bridge.... The back half of the case looks rather empty at the moment but I figured I'd show it this way so you can see all the wasted space on both sides of the heatsink since I decided not to include batterys :/.

I had to repaint a set of L/R buttons black because I didn't like the way the first set turned out, So that'll be the only holdup of finishing this by monday. All thats left is pretty much just mounting the MB to the heatsink and finishing wiring things together.

Attachments
DSCN0768.jpg
(75.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSCN0767.jpg
(143.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DSCN0766.jpg
(69.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Thu May 26, 2011 6:55 am

Wheeeew! That took a long time to read but was very insightful. I usually check up on the GC scene every 3 months or so, get really excited about whatever new thing there is and then it dies off when I get busy at school... and boy I must say that A LOT has happened in the last 3 months!

Complete drive replacement? That's so nuts! A friend and me are interested in doing a summer project of making our own portables and I have a few questions for the pros.

All my questions are directed at Ashen specifically because I'm wanting to base my portable off of his, but I'm sure most of you have the answers:

1. You said you'd be willing to sell just your cases, what sort of price are you thinking? I actually have access to a professional thermoform machine through my university (I took a class on it last semester) but as you probably know getting your original mold (the wooden part in your case) is the hardest part. I could shape one out of this high density foam we have but if you're selling your cases for a reasonable price then it might not be worth the effort. If I really wanted to get fancy I could design one up using a 3D rendering program and use a CNC to mill it out, but again... that might be too much work.

2. I also noticed that you're ripping the male "CN101" out of old MoBo's and making up a completely plug and play Wiikey Fusion setup, right? In your opinion do you think that it would be possible to fit the male and female connectors in a portable? Because if not I need to practice my soldering... a lot... There's a Salvation Army type store where I'm from that usually has anywhere from 2-4 GC's per store that they sell for $10 a piece. I could do a zip around the state and probably get you quite a few if you thought that would be useful. Maybe eBay is the better option for buying old cubes though.

3. I noticed that you got a DOL-CPU-50 from a pack of cubes you bought a while back. Do those things just have completely redesigned motherboards or what? (edit: took a look at your MoBo cutting guide again and all I can't find is the power) I have one of those and I'm pretty sure it was determined that that cube is a 1.2 and is Wiikey compatible. I also have a DOL-001 that is currently sealed up and I don't have my gamebit. I'm thinking I don't dare start cutting into this CPU-50 since pretty much all of the guides online are for the other motherboard design. (That is assuming I'm right about this motherboard being a different design)

4. I'm a student with a 3 month old baby so money don't come easy. I'm compiling a list of everything I need, parts wise. I have two cubes, and a gecko (a Datel SDML actually) and I'm pretty much going to need to buy everything else. About how much did you spend in parts for your fusion? I know it's possible to get a bit skimpy on LCD's and save quite a bit of money, but it seems that if you're putting so much work into something that it should be quality all around, y'know? How much did you pay for your Dalian Good Display, I found a site that has it for $68 USD before shipping. I happen to speak Chinese so that could help me (and possibly the whole forum) out. Not taking into effect fans, headphone jack, or casing I'm coming up with an extremely rough estimate of $164 (This isn't taking into account shipping or the chance that I might fry stuff.)

5. I noticed that Ashen ripped his fan from an old laptop, what have others done? Any guides you can point me to?

So yeah, I realize that this is a huge post. I'm at that limbo stage where I'm trying to decide if I have enough money/experience to move forward. Your answers will help me greatly!

Oh, and I also do design work if any of you are wanting to fancy up your cases I could probably help you out.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu May 26, 2011 4:37 pm

jonathandavid wrote:1. You said you'd be willing to sell just your cases, what sort of price are you thinking? ... If I really wanted to get fancy I could design one up using a 3D rendering program and use a CNC to mill it out, but again... that might be too much work.
I am still willing to sell unfinished cases. Pretty much what you would get is just the plastic thermoformed over the mold. Trimmed and sanded even on the parting lines. This means you can setup the screen/controller the way you like, but you have to do the work of frankencasing or drilling/dremeling/filing all the holes yourself. For this I'd ask $20.00ish for both case halves.

Its not so bad an idea to do the design/CNC thing. There are quite a few portablizers who use this method. Techknott and Benh Heck spring immediately to mind.
jonathandavid wrote:2. In your opinion do you think that it would be possible to fit the male and female connectors in a portable? Because if not I need to practice my soldering... a lot..
Start practicing :P Those connectors are HUGE.
jonathandavid wrote:There's a Salvation Army type store where I'm from that usually has anywhere from 2-4 GC's per store that they sell for $10 a piece. I could do a zip around the state and probably get you quite a few if you thought that would be useful. Maybe eBay is the better option for buying old cubes though.
Currently I have enough gamecubes to last me a while :D thanks though. Its good that you can find them cheaply in your area though.
jonathandavid wrote:3. Do those things just have completely redesigned motherboards or what? I'm thinking I don't dare start cutting into this CPU-50 since pretty much all of the guides online are for the other motherboard design.
You have a DOL-101 gamecube there. Otherwise known as a Rev. C GC. The difference between those boards and the earlier DOL-001 board is that Rev. C boards have the power regulator built into the motherboard. Rev. A/B boards have the power regulator seperate from the MB. You may however use my guide to cut on the controller/memcard side of those boards. As of right now, no one has spent/had the time to try cutting on the audio/video/regulator side of that type of MB. Best to use a DOL-001 if you want it really small.
jonathandavid wrote:4. I'm a student with a 3 month old baby so money don't come easy. I'm compiling a list of everything I need, parts wise. I have two cubes, and a gecko (a Datel SDML actually) and I'm pretty much going to need to buy everything else. About how much did you spend in parts for your fusion? I know it's possible to get a bit skimpy on LCD's and save quite a bit of money, but it seems that if you're putting so much work into something that it should be quality all around, y'know? How much did you pay for your Dalian Good Display, I found a site that has it for $68 USD before shipping. I happen to speak Chinese so that could help me (and possibly the whole forum) out. Not taking into effect fans, headphone jack, or casing I'm coming up with an extremely rough estimate of $164 (This isn't taking into account shipping or the chance that I might fry stuff.)
I don't really have time to answer this fully right at the moment, but I'll tell you right off the top of my head I can figure it was close to or over $400.00 in parts for the original design of the fusions. It can of course be done cheaper, but you will have to make some sacrifices for cost effectiveness. I'll make a list of parts I bought/used for you later when I have some free time.
jonathandavid wrote:5. I noticed that Ashen ripped his fan from an old laptop, what have others done? Any guides you can point me to?
The modretro forums are teeming with discussion right now about all the best ways to make the GC as small as possible and keep it cool etc. I'd suggest checking out the GC section there. http://forums.modretro.com/viewforum.ph ... d78a49f6da

Glad to see your interested in modding and portablizing man. Can't wait to see what you come up with if you decide to carry onward :D
jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Thu May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing that this will be a veeeery drawn out project for me so that I can spread out all of the purchases I need to make (then, hopefully, the wife won't catch on to the the fact that I'm spending $400 or so for this) I'm pretty pumped to get started though. I'm thinking for my first portable I'll probably buy one of your thermoformed cases and then move on to CNC'ing me some newer fancier ones. Onward and upward!
Hugo_Peters

Post by Hugo_Peters » Thu May 26, 2011 4:51 pm

jonathandavid wrote:Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing that this will be a veeeery drawn out project for me so that I can spread out all of the purchases I need to make (then, hopefully, the wife won't catch on to the the fact that I'm spending $400 or so for this) I'm pretty pumped to get started though. I'm thinking for my first portable I'll probably buy one of your thermoformed cases and then move on to CNC'ing me some newer fancier ones. Onward and upward!
Get the Dalian Good Display's off from Aliexpress!
They're the ones who are selling them for $68 excl. shipping.
GameCube:
DOL-001 with WiiKey Fusion, Viper GC Extreme, SDGecko
jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Whoa... I just decided I want my gamecube portable to look like the new Wii U remote. Thoughts? Is it even possible to buy the casing for such a thing direct from the supplier? Or even a chinese ripoff? That thing just looks so flawless.

Oh, my Wiikey came today. Time to get MoBo trimmin' up in hizzah!
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 pm

i think it's waaaaay too early to buy that case from anybody. even chinese pirates aren't that fast :D
it got announced today dude :D

jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:35 pm

I'm just so excited :roll:
jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Ashen wrote:Keep in mind you may need to update the fusion to v1.5 firmware on a Wii.
Did we find out if it's possible to do this firmware update on the gamecube? I spend the good portion of 5 hours yesterday trying to update my firmware on my friends Wii and the stupid thing wouldn't work. I was using two different SD cards. one SDHC and one not, and neither of them would be recognized as being in WBFS format on the Wiikey after I formatted them in WBFS manager 4. My two computers (PC, Mac) both recognized them as being in WBFS format but the Wiikey didn't. Any tips?