Getting started with homebrew

All your homebrew software needs & discussion
bentomo

Getting started with homebrew

Post by bentomo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Hello everybody I'm new to this forum but I've been gaining interest in the gamecube as of late and have a few questions about homebrew.

What I'm currently trying to do is figure out how to boot dols on a gamecube. I have a xenogc 2 on a rev c gamecube right now and can't figure out how to boot anything from the sd card.

In this case google has not been my friend.

Any help would be very appreciated!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashen

Re: Getting started with homebrew

Post by Ashen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Heya Bentomo, nice to see you over here. Best thing is to build a bootable swiss iso. I cant remember if it was you who PM'd me about it. But I just realized the wiikey fusion swiss iso i've been linking people to has a modified wii header. Thats prolly why it doesnt work on your standard cube.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey ashen, yeah that was me.

I'll do a little research and see if I can change the header to a proper gamecube one, if I get it to work I'll upload it.

Isn't swiss coming out in a few weeks anyway in an iso format?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 am

Ahh yea, sorry man. Sometimes I check PM's from my phone and then forget to respond to them later on. Typing lengthy stuff out on a tiny smartphone screen becomes tedious to me quickly.

Swiss is updated by emu_kidid pretty regularly. I'm pretty sure the binary releases are in .dol format only though. I've never seen a distributed bootable .iso besides the wiikey one infact made up and posted here.

I have a "regular" r37 Swiss .iso I made up a while back around on my computer somewhere. I'll post it here for ya when I find it.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:27 am

You can use the BootableDiscCreator to make one, have a look for it, or request someone to make an ISO - yeah, next few versions should see a better release structure, with ISO, Qoob flash format, dol, etc.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:09 pm

I've attempted the bootable disc maker, I don't know if the game id matters or what apploader I'm supposed to used.

This is all fairly new to me. I'm just trying to get dols to boot with a xenogc right now.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:18 pm

Here's a r47 compiled ISO. Burn it using imgburn so that it will give it the necessary "dummy data" so that the Gamecube can read it. Sometimes if you burn too little on a disc, the gamecube will fail to pick up that there's anything written to it. If you can't use imgburn, just pad it with about 500mb after it (use copy /b swiss.iso + somelargefile from command line)
Attachments
Swiss-r47-xenogc.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 532 times
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:29 pm

THANKS EMU KIDD!

Works wonderfully!

Now I can use dol booting very easily with a xeno chipped cube!!

So why hasn't there been a need for this already? I haven't found it on this site.

Oh and I'm guessing this iso will work with a wiikey fusion too? It's just that it will take up 1.36GB
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yes, but for a Wiikey Fusion I'd use the custom header and it will only take up about 2mb. (I'll release a swiss version like this in the future with releases).
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:07 am

Yea thanks again.

Also I've been testing out wii64 on the cube and I was wondering if a faster sd card would help at all for gameplay? I have a class 10 card but that's dedicated to my gamecube games.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:16 am

Nope a faster card wouldn't really help. We have a newer version coming along but it will never be as good as wii64 is on the wii unfortunately (maybe for a few games it's ok).
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:44 am

Another app I can't find. When ashen uploaded his first video he used a utility that showed all of the buttons on the cube being pressed. I'd love to find what this is, very convenient for portabalizing. I'm trying to find what this is.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 am

I'm glad someone else had a hard time finding that app besides me ;D

http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... 4200#p4200
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:43 pm

Got another question about the homebrew media player on this site.

What's the best format for video?

And what sd cards are compatible with the sd gecko?
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:50 pm

My understanding is it's a software limitation of SDML and SDLoad that limits you to 1MB-4GB cards not the actual sd gecko hardware itself but once you've loaded swiss you can switch it for a much larger one of SDHC 4GB to 32GB, I think emu_kidid said SDXC 32GB to 2TB would work too.
MMC and MicroSD work also but you'll need another adaptor to convert them to SD.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 pm

bentomo, SDGecko is just a pass-thru as you've probably noticed. Any SD cards can theoretically work on it as long as the software supports it. Older software (SDLoad, GC-Linux?) only supports SD up to 2GB, where as the emulators, media player/etc and Swiss, support up to 32GB SDHC.

I will get around to adding SDXC when the price drops a little.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 am

be aware that some cheap SD cards will have trouble loading bigger files, like ISO or GCM, but will work with emulators, programs, demos etc.
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks guys, now the only problem is getting the psx emulator to work. A basic guide would be nice.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

Got a question. I'm looking to replace the dol in the wii swiss iso that infact made.

http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... &start=684

The current dol in it is a bit out of date and I'd like to update it myself, I just can't find the program to open the wii iso and replace the dol. Something like gc-tool but for a wii iso.
infact

Post by infact » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:46 am

You don't have to replace the dol file, just create a new iso with the updated dol. ;-)
(besides no known program will be useful with this swiss iso)

If you need help, let me know, I will write a quick tutorial then.
infact
Image Image
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:22 am

I would like to know how you made it out of the wiikey update. It'd be convenient if in the future I can make one myself.

By the way I'll go ahead and post my gamecube portable here when I'm done with it for you guys.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

emu_kidid wrote:bentomo, SDGecko is just a pass-thru as you've probably noticed. Any SD cards can theoretically work on it as long as the software supports it. Older software (SDLoad, GC-Linux?) only supports SD up to 2GB, where as the emulators, media player/etc and Swiss, support up to 32GB SDHC.

I will get around to adding SDXC when the price drops a little.
When are you likely too add IDE-EXI support to Cube64 and CubeSX? will it be included as part of the next released version? or will that cause extra problems to deal with?
infact

Post by infact » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:41 pm

bentomo: first part of tutorial here: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ebrew_disc

Then download my header faker here: http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... 6711#p6711
And run "fake_wkf_header.bat homebrew_disc.iso" or you can drag'n'drop your created "homebrew_disc.iso" on the "fake_wkf_header.bat" file.

It will create "homebrew_disc_WKF_.iso", which can be added to the wbfs on the sd card.
infact
Image Image