Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Ashen

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE + GC Portable Discussion

Post by Ashen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:03 pm

I've updated all of my Wiikey's to 1.5 right on the GC. That being said, it should update on a Wii for sure. Do you have the SD card reader FFC cables inserted correctly? Blue endtabs should be facing up looking at the top of the chip/car reader.
jonathandavid

Post by jonathandavid » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Yup, blue tabs up. It would boot into the Wiikey stuff, Wiikey would just give me an error that my card wasn't in WBFS format. Strange huh?
humerf

Post by humerf » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:16 pm

hi
I have a doubt, I got a modchip that "babaruss" is for wii and xbox 360 to program the internal memory of the device and fix some appliances "bricks" that will be adapted like use it here in the gamecube (because next month I'll mount my hdd for dis-use here in the appliance, gamecube dol 001)
the chip would have any use for the gamecube if something changes?

Attachments
Babaruss_wii.jpg
(84.97 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Babaruss.jpg
(68.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:16 pm

No use at all, the gamecube doesn't have a nand or any kind of writable flash memory. A Qoob Pro is essentially the same except it lets you replace the whole IPL.
humerf

Post by humerf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:38 am

emu_kidid wrote:No use at all, the gamecube doesn't have a nand or any kind of writable flash memory. A Qoob Pro is essentially the same except it lets you replace the whole IPL.
thanks emu_kidid
but even if something adapter?
if I did something like Qoob Pro :mrgreen: ( my game cube / chip xeno )
because the chip is no use standing here
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Having some issues getting my WODE running on my GC. Everything is hooked up properly and the WODE powers on. I was able to update it to the latest firmware version and it recognizes my SD cards with .iso's on it.

When I power on the cube it seems like it takes the WODE a long time to boot (going by the display on the WODE LCD). By the time it fully boots up I get the "error has occured" message on the GC like there is no DD attached. If I do the reset trick so that I don't get the error message right away It does it as soon as I mount an .iso.

Any idea's from those who have WODE working with their cubes?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 pm

I'd have to suggest that you re-check wiring, I had the same issue and it was gone after re-checking/re-wiring things..
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm using one of the adapters I've made up to test the WODE, all of them have been tested with the Wiikey and all of them work. Just to be sure I plugged in the Wiikey again and confirmed it working.

I did get a few games and the CFG menu to boot a few times on an IPL 1.1 NTSC GC but its really hit and miss. Most of the time I just get the DD error. Seems like a timing thing? anyway I just tried it on a different GC motherboard (IPL 1.0 NTSC) and I don't get the DD error on that cube, but when I boot an .iso it just just goes to "reading disc" forever and never loads the game.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 pm

try having any lines we consider "lid switches" wired down as "closed". justNer has wired up a Wode successfully too, might want to ask him about this issue whilst I'm unable to review my wiring at the moment.
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Have you tried different adapters? I have also used my ffc adapter I made which worked fine. The lid switch was wired closed as emu_kidid said. Only the pin29-ground switch is needed.

Maybe your WODE is faulty. Does it work correctly on a Wii?? Did you update it on a Wii or on the Gamecube?
Last edited by LOCtronicz on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:04 am

Just checked, yes mine is only using the pin 28 -> gnd switch only
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:32 am

I have all the switches closed. The 29 to ground switch is the same type I've always used. I know its working properly because for one it works with the wiikey and two it ejects the .iso's on the WODE when I can manage to get them to load. The lidswitch pins are "jumped" out. meaning that its always closed for testing purposes. I'm going to try a different FFC I have wired to and just wire straight to the MB, It may be latency but I doubt it. The total length of the adapters I've made up is about 6 inches, 4 of which is all FFC cable. If it does end up being the adapters I've made up it will be a real bummer for those who were hoping to use them for the WODE, not to mention myself...

I updated the WODE on the GC. but it works perfectly fine when hooked to my Wii.

I've tried 3 different motherboard now all with different IPL's. On all of them the WODE has not worked properly so far.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:55 am

Thought I might mention that my WODE is not super up to date - it's either on 2.6x or 2.4x, I will check it tonight. Was your WODE acting like this before updating?

Also, I had been getting the issue you're mentioning, but it seemed to only be intermittent until I re-wired power to a source nearer to the power header (I assume you've done it straight on there anyway so disregard).
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:06 am

The power for pin 32 from the FFC is coming from the GC DVD connector which goes from 5v to 3.3v with the regulator I've wired on to all of the adapters. The regulator has a 1amp limit, which I'm absolutely positive the WODE is not drawing THAT much. The rest of the power for the WODE is wired direct to the headers like you've said.

If I'm still having trouble I'll try downgrading the firmware. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the two firmwares they supply though. which one should I be using? They are labeled: 2.8A_NTFS_Read-Write and 2.8B_NTFS_Read-Only. I've got the read/write installed.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:30 am

I always used the Read-Only one. The Read-Write one contains a slower NTFS driver which makes it possible to rip discs to an NTFS partition from the Wii itself (useless in our case on a GC with no drive).
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 am

Ahh, well I'll try a downgrade-reflash then. Maybe thats why I'm having issues.

Just tried again on my only IPL 1.2 board and I'm having much better results. All games have loaded properly when selecting from the slave board. The CFG image however, boots then the WODE immediately ejects the iso by itself which results in a black screen on the GC.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 am

So yea... Just downgraded to WODEupdate.01.28.dg. Fixed every single problem I was having! WODE boots fully in like 2 seconds now and loads everything perfectly. Even the CFG menu.

So, word of advice. DON'T upgrade your WODE's... lol. Here I thought something was wrong with my adapters... :P
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:21 am

Sweet :) Gamecube support was pretty much complete at that stage bar a few things (perhaps 2 disc?) We should find the "best" version to upgrade them to in terms of where GC support got sweet enough to not care anymore after it.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 am

Agreed, I'm just super glad it has nothing to do with my adapters. I was like... WTF!!!!@@1 all day...

Anyway. Not gonna have much time for anything till I get back from vacation now. Adapters are all 100% complete sans eject buttons and all secondary connectors for WODE are also done. Once I get back I'll ship all of them out and Make up some tuts for WODE installs.
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Glad it wasn't you adapters. Good to know about the firmware update. Gonna check mine when I have some time. Any pics of your adapters?? I'm curious to see how you made them. As I have around 10 connectors myself which I am also going to make adapter with. I plan on using a 5v to 3.3v step down just as you did to make it completly plug and play. As well as add an eject button.

Funny to see you go on holiday the exact same time as me. I'm leaving this sunday for 2 weeks. Enjoy your trip!!

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:29 pm

They need cleaned up a bit, bit thats pretty much it in a nutshell. You can see the little step down regulator I used sticking out still in that pic. I've covered them all in epoxy and folded them back since.

It is funny we are both leaving at the same time! Where are you headed? Virginia beach for me. After I come back only one week of work left till I'm "severed" lmao. I'll have lots of time for our little project then Zen. I've been meaning to get back to you... Lol

Enjoy your trip also!
Attachments
DSCN0783.jpg
(65.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm off to Aruba. After I'm back I'll also have more time as my work at the moment is keeping me occupied. Who knows if our little project is a success then that could generate some serious cashflow.... hmm we'll see how it goes.

Adapter looks good. Some nice length there so people can play about with their placement. Good to see that it still works flawless with it being that long too.

kennyycc

Post by kennyycc » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm

With Ashen info I finally came out with this. compact and neat design. I plan to install to install WODE. Will try make it up n install it to test.
Attachments
P1010001.JPG
(896.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
P1010002.JPG
(889.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Hugo_Peters

Post by Hugo_Peters » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm

kennyycc wrote:With Ashen info I finally came out with this. compact and neat design. I plan to install to install WODE. Will try make it up n install it to test.
O.M.G.
GameCube:
DOL-001 with WiiKey Fusion, Viper GC Extreme, SDGecko
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:12 pm

thats awesome!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm