Metroid Other M

Talk about games you've played, new games coming out, console hardware, etc..
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Metroid Other M

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:34 am

I found some free time to try out the new Metroid, Other M, and I must say, although it's quite different, I still found it quite enjoyable.

My only complaint is not being able to use the nunchuck, but at least I don't need to be pointing at the screen the entire time anymore, although, switching modes is a bit tedious - and don't get me started on how easy it feels so far (infinite missiles?).

what's everyone elses impressions?
Cubelover

Re: Metroid Other M

Post by Cubelover » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Well I havent finished the game yet, but it is in every way worse than the awesome prime series. I dont like the switching modes and the missing nunchuck support as well as some missing metroid sounds like the typical sound if you get new items.

Doors cant be open by shooting them with beams anymore. No energy capsules, no missile ammo, no power bomb ammo. You can regenerate your missile stock any time by pressing the A button if you hold the Wiimote vertical. Ninja action in a metroid game? Thats not how a metroid game supposed to be.

And I really miss the exploration feature of the Prime series. There is just the one combat visor that cant do anything. No more scanning enemies, objects and such. And the graphics are not worthy to be used in a metroid game. Just look at the poor textures of Samus suit and especially at her Beam blaster and the special light effects of the beams.

I really hope the series will go back home to the Retro Studios. The game has a totally different feeling :(
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Oh definitely, I agree on all points there.. just hadn't played enough to realise it yet.

I figured the scanning visor would come later but it hasn't and won't :( The game definitely lacks depth without it..
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:25 am

I finished the game about a week ago (got it the day after it came out). It was my least favourite Metroid game, and not a very good game overall in my opinion. A lot of people will probably disagree with me.

I disliked the way Samus is portrayed in the two hours (indeed you can watch them through as a movie after you finish the main game) of cutscenes. She is made to look like a bumbling fool, imo. The lack of camera controls is disastrous for a 3d game. Many times I was frustrated because an enemy got behind the camera's position and I couldn't see what I was shooting at or if the enemy was about to attack me. I believe the reason why you can't move in first person mode is so that you are unable to play the whole game through in first person. I know I would have if I could.

The way in which scanning was implemented is a joke. They either should've implemented it fully like Metroid Prime or left it out entirely. I think that the controls were too minimalistic and though they were acceptable, they got in the way of providing a superb gaming experience. I want to control the speed at which I'm walking, damn it. Analogue control would've been better. And sensemove? Melee attacks? This isn't The Matrix, it's Metroid. Shoot it until it dies, yo.

EDIT - Does anyone else think that Samus' gun is way smaller than it used to be?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm about 7 hours into the game now and i've grown to like the story actually. Sure it's no metroid prime, but it is still metroid :)

Lack of camera control and lack of being able to control at what speed I walk at in some areas is a big disappointment.
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah, I found that after playing it through I liked the story a bit better. Or disliked it less lol. I liked what was trying to be done, the execution just sucked. I just think it needed tweaking to be more in line with the classic Metroid hallmarks.

I reckon if Samus got there and everyone was dead already it would have been... well, better. It would have been possible to integrate the scanning system better because you could scan various things like computers, dead bodies, etc to piece together the story. By doing so that would mean classic Metroid exploration to find out what the hell is going on instead of bland mission objectives. Samus could still have her monologues in the two hours of cutscenes and she could still be upset at the death of her old unit. Because you'd have to work hard to find out why everybody died, it would be more satisfying to play, rather than watch her standing around being helpless during the cutscenes while people "died" around her (especially that Ridley scene, goddamn it).

Spoiler tags? I made the text the same colour as the background to avoid spoiling the story for anyone who hasn't finished the game yet. Select it to read.
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Seconded there.
Story is great as a lead-in to Fusion, but there are a whole lot of little things that it does wrong.
Every minute spent actually playing the game is wonderful, but there's lots of untapped potential.

At any rate, its absolutely beautiful, as far as graphical stuff goes. Everything's smooth and very good looking, even when you're right next to it and trigger first person mode.

The Music is also very nice in lots of spots, and I love that piano piece.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Yep, I thoroughly enjoyed it and I believe that it was a perfect part of the metroid franchise :)
mikog

Post by mikog » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:06 am

:| I haven't bought this metroid game yet but I'm planning to.. :roll: Infinite missiles? :lol: lol it's like a cheat built into the game, definitely not a good idea on nintendo's part :!:
~mikog.[/code]
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:54 am

I've yet to finish this. Definitely not as good as Prime series. I started the game and 'thumbs down' totally turned me off. So yeah story is very weak, will have to get past it and complete the game.
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am

Started playing this one about a week ago... Still have to get into it, it's pretty decent so far, except the annoying part of using the 'retro-style' controls. I doubt the gameplay immersion will grow though...
Tchoin

Post by Tchoin » Fri May 18, 2012 1:09 pm

I liked Metroid Other M afterall, the controls and camera were a pain in the ass at first, but then you get used to it.

Graphics and story are nice, what makes not much sense are the unlimited missiles...