Chrono Trigger Sound error

All WiiSX related discussion here
Elliander

Chrono Trigger Sound error

Post by Elliander » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:50 am

When starting a new game of Chrono Trigger from "Final Fantasy Chronicles" (from SD Card) I encountered a fairly serious error early in gameplay. When you talk to Crono's mom a second time and she gives you allowance there is a sound that the game normally makes. When the game played that sound it persisted forever no matter where I went. Furthermore, if I went to another area I could not move at all while the sound played. When I went into settings to disable sound completely I was able to move normally again, but resuming sound resumed the error and again I could not move. I saved state and saved game on a memory card. When I restarted the ISO and attempted to load from that saved state the sound returned with the state. When I restarted and used the save game the game loaded up fine without any error at all. While there is clearly a work around for the error I can use it is rather serious if it would come back with the same sound.
the_randomizer

Re: Chrono Trigger Sound error

Post by the_randomizer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Anything sound-related should be neutralized in the next version, as this version only has a very basic sound plugin. Hopefully version 3.0 will fix most of these sound issues.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
Elliander

Re: Chrono Trigger Sound error

Post by Elliander » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:25 pm

I see. So this is a known bug then. That's good. At least I have a workaround for when it happens.

I also noticed a controller limitation I am curious about: When plugging in the Classic Controller the 2 joysticks are not at all functional. It seems strange for a Playstation game to not be able to use the Playstation joysticks. In the case of Chrono Trigger it's not a major problem (being a port of an SNES game), but the movement is smoother in the version I bought from the Wii Store. (unfortunately, that version has no cutscenes) Is there a way to enable joysticks, or is that also a feature not yet supported?