BadAss Consoles .com going live!

Latest site specific news
megalomaniac

Re: BadAss Consoles .com going live!

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 pm

that video is old and outdated...also that version was never released since i redesigned the entire setup....
then after the second version i wanted to try something a little different and created a complete new design (again)

you will notice V4 in the youtube video looks nothing like how it is today....

first problem is finding a DVD drive with a suitable laser, one that works fine at 400ohm - 600ohm on original discs...
then making sure it reads backups at about 200ohm - 300ohm
also must listen to how the drive spins and how the laser travels up and down to make sure the drive itself is hopefully free from any defect before modifying it.

So one of the most challenging aspects is finding a good DVD drive....
Then a WASP needs to be performance tested to make sure it is also 100% free of any possible defect.....

now that i have two (almost perfectly) working pieces of equipment i have to tear em down and begin modification...
soldering all the WASP components onto the Flex is no problem....
soldering the Flex to the drive board is no problem...

troubleshooting after everything is mounted is the tricky part....
you really only have one chance to mount the flexpcb to the DVD Drive board and hope it works on that first try....
if it doesnt work the first time then the problem could be anywhere (even having performed a 100% electrical connection check before and after assembly/modification)

v4 is a beast...i hate the work that needs to be put into making one, but the end result is a combination of hardware in harmony
Attachments
v4-hell.jpg
(624.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
v4-before.jpg
(285.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:15 am

wow mega, you've outdone yourself

just wow
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 am

I only discovered this site and badassconsoles.com a few days ago and am so impressed with mega's work for the GC. Having an N64, is also nice to see a section for it on his site.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Will there be more WASP's later on? Or are will getting to the bottom of the barrel.

Which brings me to my next question is it possible to dump the programming of the WASP/Wiikey to build our own in the future

Edit: Never mind there back in stock. Also Eurasia has stock as well but there's won't come with swiss flashed ;)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:37 am

emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
GCKing

Post by GCKing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:57 am

cool. always good to have a site for parts like that