XenoGC and me (a dummy)

All your console related questions and answers :)
Mr_Mary

XenoGC and me (a dummy)

Post by Mr_Mary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 am

I posted here a few months ago regarding using exploits and got my vision about them cleared out.

Now I want to ask You about XenoGC, because recently I've seen that chip being sold by a reseller for 20PLN (about 5 bucks). The installation process seems simple enough (my soldering skills should cover, not like all of these drive replacements), so I'll probably go with it.

And I have two questions:
1. Will it work with DOL-001(EUR)? (It might have been stated already somewhere but I want to be extra sure)
2. If I wanted to load DVD-R backups, what case mods would my console would have to go through? Are there custom prebuilt cases, or 3D printable models available?

Thx in advance :D
novenary

Re: XenoGC and me (a dummy)

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:42 am

1. Yes, XenoGC works with all variants but the Panasonic Q.
2. You can either cut out your top shell (please don't), run the console topless (unplug the lid switch from the drive board and put a jumper in there), find a custom full-size case (rare and expensive), or find mini DVDs instead.
Mr_Mary

Post by Mr_Mary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Will the entire thing work in conjuction with DVD-RW minis? Dont wanna invest into stockpiling an outdated format
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 pm

RW is harder to read afaik, you will need a really good laser for those.
That being said you'd be better off burning a single Swiss disc and loading games from SD.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 am

I've had one GameCube ever only read DVD-RW and I'd set the laser potentiometer to 0 - burn a copy of Swiss and use SD where possible.