Gamecube battery keeps dying

All your console related questions and answers :)
Myasma

Gamecube battery keeps dying

Post by Myasma » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 am

Hey guys, for some reason ... my battery keeps dying. I’ve recently purchased an HD modded cube, and the system settings keep being lost. I have tried switching to a new battery twice and even replaced the controller board three times. It works for a day and then erases again. The HD mod seems to work, as it tells me that it’s displaying in 480p ... but I really can’t get over the fact that this time and system settings things keep erasing. I’ve even tried replacing the disc drive twice, thinking that may be the cause of the issue. Any assistance I could get? I’d greatly appreciate.
Myasma

Re: Gamecube battery keeps dying

Post by Myasma » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Nothing? From no one?
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 pm

I have the same issue after installing a GCdual and a Megadrive v1 plus WKF recently, just haven't had the time to look into it yet though so I can't really help. At least now I know that it more than likely has something to do with the GCdual install if you're having the same issue, I wasn't sure if it could have been something to do with the WKF install before as I did both installs at the same time.

EDIT: After writing this post last night I spent some time looking into it and noticed that R16 on the motherboard from the battery to the IPL chip didn't have any continuity and with a slight bit of pressure from the probe came straight off the board taking a pad with it so I replaced it with another 120ohm resistor and then tested it this morning to see if it had held the settings and it has. So it seems that in my case that it was coincidental and was unrelated to the GCdual and Megadrive v1 install that I did.

I'll test it a few more times over the next few days just to be sure and if anything changes then I'll report back.
Myasma

Post by Myasma » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:38 pm

Please keep me updated. This is annoying.
kel01

Post by kel01 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:41 pm

I've been using it for days now and it hasn't lost the settings yet since I repaired resistor R16. My problem was exactly like yours too, I think the reason that it would take nearly a day for it to loose the settings even though the battery wasn't connected to the IPL chip at all was maybe due to the charge in the capacitors keeping the settings until they discharged.

I'm afraid that the only way to fix it is to repair R16 on the motherboard. It's a 0402 resistor also so not the easiest to solder without some experience, might be best to just bypass it with a 120ohm through hole resistor. Obviously double check that R16 has no continuity first with a multimeter just in case it's something else causing the problem.
Myasma

Post by Myasma » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Well damn. Is that an easy mistake to make when putting the mod in?
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:10 pm

No, it shouldn't be anywhere near the part of the board that the mod is installed to. Maybe it's just a coincidence and more related to age than the install job.