Disc Backup causing disc read error.

All your console related questions and answers :)
Boured

Disc Backup causing disc read error.

Post by Boured » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 pm

A while back I got my GameCube modded by a friend to install a cheap Chinese clone of a XenoGC from ebay. Was even able to get the POT tweaked down to I think 168? After that I was able to run Swiss from a burned disc, so as far as homebrew goes I'm pretty much set.

Now the problems come when I use backups of actual games. I recently got Colosseum and wanting to save my discs condition I just dumped the disc to an ISO (using redump.org to confirm). After burning the disc (Using Ritek G04's or the holy grail of GC backup discs) I was able to load it up. However a problem begins when running what I assume is an FMV, it's able to run it sort of well, before it gets to the part where my boy WES comes in to take the snag machine. In the scene before, where smoke is coming out of the explosion, it locks a bit, before continuing which I assumed would be fine, the GC has to work a bit on a burned disc, especially with an FMV. All is well (Minus music desync from the freeze) until WES is escaping with Umbreon to the...motorbike? at which case it originally froze before displaying a Disc Read error in the form of a text box. I thought maybe my laser was a bit of whiner, so I tried again, froze at the exact spot.

I then decided that maybe the laser wasn't powerful enough, perhaps it was a weak boi? So I turned the POT down eventually to the maximum good range of 150ohms. Going through the scene again that first hiccup with the smoke hole was gone which was a good sign, the second hiccup happens, but it eventually keeps going, Once they begin to drive off it just locks up, with the same disc read error. I was only able to successfully complete the FMV once, Anytime after it would just fail at that specific point, is my laser a weak boi? Or do I perhaps have a bad burn? The only drive I have capable of reading mini-dvdr's is my laptop, a IBM Thinkpad X60 (Oldie but a goodie) and it's little powerbay like thing.

Let me know what you think, thank you for your time!
-------
1 x GameCube DOL-001 + Game Boy Player + GCHD Mk II + Xen8GC & SD Gecko + Everdrive GBA X5
1 x AGS-101 GBA SP (Graphite)
1 x AGS-101 GBA SP (No LCD + 3rd Party Shell)
2 x AGS-001 (Flame Red/Platinum)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Disc Backup causing disc read error.

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Your laser is likely on its way out, but this can be prolonged if you're not using it for much other than booting Swiss or playing original discs.

Before it fails, do you hear the laser struggle to read a few times before giving out? I wouldn't rule out a bad burn but that seems unlikely.
Boured

Post by Boured » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:20 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm
Your laser is likely on its way out, but this can be prolonged if you're not using it for much other than booting Swiss or playing original discs.

Before it fails, do you hear the laser struggle to read a few times before giving out? I wouldn't rule out a bad burn but that seems unlikely.
I don't really hear much of anything after setting the POT to 150, but back when it was set to 168, it would freeze and then error out with a audible click from the drive. I've only noticed this with the FMV of Colosseum. I also would not say it was a bad burn, as if it was able to complete the FMV before, then there was clearly data written correctly for it to load.

I will research how to replace a GameCube laser. I'm pretty competent in taking a GameCube apart, so I might be able to do that.
-------
1 x GameCube DOL-001 + Game Boy Player + GCHD Mk II + Xen8GC & SD Gecko + Everdrive GBA X5
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:12 am

Boured wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:20 am
I will research how to replace a GameCube laser. I'm pretty competent in taking a GameCube apart, so I might be able to do that.
Just be aware, laser replacements just don't want to cooperate sometimes, you might hit the jackpot and it works perfectly, you might also never be able to go back to your old laser because a mm off might be the difference in being able to read discs and not see discs at all.
Boured

Post by Boured » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:53 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:12 am
Boured wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:20 am
Just be aware, laser replacements just don't want to cooperate sometimes, you might hit the jackpot and it works perfectly, you might also never be able to go back to your old laser because a mm off might be the difference in being able to read discs and not see discs at all.
What is your advice for laser replacement? Should I perhaps get someone with more experience? I may be able to take apart a GameCube, but I've only gotten to the POT, not exactly sure I could get to the laser. If so is there anyone you know that is very knowledgeable and good at laser replacement? Most guides I've found online are written such as IFixIt but I'm not too good at written guides, video guides are just POT Tweaks on youtube, or really bad and I mean extremely bad video guides from a place called Play N Trade from 2006.
-------
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:24 am

You need to de-solder the red/brown wires from the DVD board (the same one where the laser POT is located), then undo all the flex cables and remove any screws from that PCB. Once that's all done, from the top side, push the plastic housing to one side and gently pry it all up to remove the laser+motor assembly. From here, you just remove one screw from the laser/lens rail (the one closest to the cog) and it should come off.

The problem is alignment, your new laser will just come as-is, if you drop it in, it might work, it might not - and then you might not be able to put your old laser back in the same exact spot either so you'll be left without any working laser :P
Boured

Post by Boured » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:23 am

Ah, well I'll probably just deal with the laser. Swiss can boot ISO's apparently so I'm still able to preserve my discs. I will look into it when my laser actually dies.
-------
runepune

Post by runepune » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am

Hmm, I've changed 10-15 lasers over the years and never had any problems. All of them ordered from China. Haven't had to desolder any wires either. Only thing I've done is to adjust the POT and thats it.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 am

There's a new problem these days with capacitors needing replacement on the DVD PCB, have run into 2 where even a laser from a new GameCube swapped over wouldn't work, but when the caps were replaced it worked fine
dilav

Post by dilav » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 am
There's a new problem these days with capacitors needing replacement on the DVD PCB, have run into 2 where even a laser from a new GameCube swapped over wouldn't work, but when the caps were replaced it worked fine
Any specific capacitor that is causing the issue or do you just replace all electrolytic capacitor on the disc drive board?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:32 am

dilav wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:25 am
emu_kidid wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:00 am
Any specific capacitor that is causing the issue or do you just replace all electrolytic capacitor on the disc drive board?
I replaced all on the back (not the side with the potentiometer).
runepune

Post by runepune » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pm

I think we have to expect that on hardware nearly 20 years old. I haven't had that yet, only worn out lasers. Changed on 4 units this month alone.