Gamecube not outputting audio with any cables

All your console related questions and answers :)
TorqueEmPup

Gamecube not outputting audio with any cables

Post by TorqueEmPup » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:00 am

I am asking this for someone else.

But anyway this is a Gamecube that will not output audio through the Multi-AV Port.
And yes multiple cables have been tried, and the port was cleaned.

But way back in 2006-2007 my own personal Gamecube had this exact issue, and at the time Nintendo had their own official community forums and someone on there had the fix.
It involved adding a jumper wire from the power board in the bottom of the console to the main board, and this cured the lack of audio output when I applied it to my Gamecube at the time.

Well the specifics of this fix seems to have been lost to time, and the Wayback machine scrapped the site from that time period, but ALL the scrapped pages from 2005-2006 redirect to a modern Nintendo "Oops we couldn't find that." page. (Nintendo possibly blocking crawling bots at the time?)

Only other info (or lack thereof) I can find while googling was one old forum, where an asshole was basically saying.
"I found the issue, and know how to fix it, but I am not giving away this info, if you want your Gamecube fixed you have to pay me to repair it."

Anyone else know of this issue, and have info on fixes?
Papy.G

Re: Gamecube not outputting audio with any cables

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:10 am

I know I damaged my Platinum unit once while fiddling with the Digital AV out, I accidentally apply 12V to the digital out pin, what ended up having an Analog audio out not working anymore, except for scritches when pushing the volume up. Maybe just a cap and some resistors are damaged, or even the DAC, never tried to check wether the Digital audio out was still working, nor tried to repair it. I didn't have the knowledge to adress this issue, so I traded with a collector for two working ones (Zelda pack full and boxed<=>two loose GCs, all cables, one controller each, WW, and 007AUF + some GBA cables).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
ChiPPy

Post by ChiPPy » Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Old topic, but I think I have the fix for this issue, so may help someone in the future with a similar issue.

(This information is only for DOL-001 boards, as the DOL-101 boards have their regulator circuitry combined with the main board.)

The audio circuit runs on 12v, and is pretty much the only thing that uses the 12v rail. If the 12v rail is disabled for some reason, like a bad regulator board, then the rest of the GameCube may run perfectly fine, but with no audio. Luckily, the audio circuit will happily run off 5v as well, so running a jumper wire from the 5v rail to the audio circuit will most likely fix the problem. You must check that there is NO 12v rail present before doing this though, otherwise you'll most likely send 12v to all your 5v circuits, destroying your GameCube.

I'm including some pictures for reference. I have a wire running from the 5v pin to the diode of the audio circuit. This essentially bridges the 5v rail to the 12v rail, so you must check that the 12v is not present before doing this, or it's magic smoke time.
Attachments
20210507_162630.jpg
(3.68 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20210507_162559.jpg
(3.57 MiB) Not downloaded yet
14.png
Voltage pinout diagram
(261.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am

That can make sense, if we consider I have shorted the 12V with digital out, and that may have blown the fuse. While I don't remember having had problems that may occur when 12V is absent from the SCART-RGB (PERITEL), such as TV not waking up properly, as I assume the 12V for pin 8 comes from the same rail in PAL consoles, unless my modern TV only detects voltage on pin 16 to wake up and switch to RGB at once, whatever voltage the pin 8 is.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
IkeHagane

Post by IkeHagane » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:17 am

Hi I really need some help here, I thought my gamecube was the same as the one shown in the pictures but aparently it is an NTSC Japanese Gamecube region modded to be NTSC American, so, I am having problems trying to locate the Input 5-12V to power audio amp, I am sending pictures so that anybody could tell me where should I solder the wire to make the link between the 5v point to the actual audio amp. all of this so that I can have audio since it is only giving me video.
Attachments
gc pic 1.jpeg
(236.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet