Best way to connect GC to HDMI?

All your console related questions and answers :)
LimeInkling

Best way to connect GC to HDMI?

Post by LimeInkling » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi there,
I've been looking into getting a GameCube for the first time, but the problem is my monitor doesn't have AV, and the only connector I can really use is HDMI.

I've been looking around on places such as Amazon, and I did come across the Kaico GC to HDMI adapter (which I've seen people on this forum talk about too), but it's *pretty* expensive, to say the least.

Although I've done my research, I'm still fairly new to all of this, so I was wondering if there is a more cost-effective solution that you could recommend. However, if I really do have to spend that much on an adapter, then that is something I'd be prepared to do.

Please let me know your thoughts on what would be best.
Papy.G

Re: Best way to connect GC to HDMI?

Post by Papy.G » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:52 pm

If you only have an HDMI display, you would want a DOL-001 Gamecube as only those have the Digital AV out, then, you'll want a GCVideo based device with SWISS, mandatory to force progressive mode on games that don't offer it natively (some NTSC and all PAL ones don't).

You'll be able to find the GCPlug for cheap on Alix, with its 3D printed plug and mini-HDMI plug.
If you want a more sturdy connector, and full size HDMI plug, you have the Bitfunx, that looks like the Kaico, or you can also go for a Carby HDMI.
You also have more advanced solutions, as EON gaming GCHD, but they are not what can be considered as cheap.

All of these are worth every cent, especially if you can use SWISS, as soon as you have a display that have a digital input.
Don't go for the other solutions based on the analog output to convert to HDMI, they won't do anything better than the analog out, and the cheaper far worse! (maybe worse than the RF modulator, which is not bad on the N64/GC)
In that case, you'll have better get a compatible used monitor/TV.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Cheapest GCPlug for AliExpress is all you need. No need for any fancy adapters as they are basically the same thing. I also don't think you need to invest money in metal shielded connector. It may be sturdier but you don't move GC constantly so 3d printed connector is enough. I produced GCPlugs myself and sold a lot of them and no one complained about the quality. I also bought some from AliExpress and they are very well made.
LimeInkling

Post by LimeInkling » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:52 pm
you'll want a GCVideo based device with SWISS
How come I would need Swiss? Shouldn't it just work out of the box?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:46 pm

Sure, it will work out of the box, but interlaced video renders like shit on most lcds because of upscaling, so you'll want to be able to run all your games in progressive, which all don't offer natively in the NTSC library, and none at all in the PAL one. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
LimeInkling

Post by LimeInkling » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:33 am

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:46 pm
Sure, it will work out of the box, but interlaced video renders like shit on most lcds because of upscaling, so you'll want to be able to run all your games in progressive, which all don't offer natively in the NTSC library, and none at all in the PAL one. ;)
Ohh, I see. I might have to make another thread about that one when I get round to it.

Thanks for the help!