Gamecube with QooB SX + SD Gecko ¿Flashing QooB with iplboot?

All your console related questions and answers :)
JPnintendo

Gamecube with QooB SX + SD Gecko ¿Flashing QooB with iplboot?

Post by JPnintendo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi everyone! Recently i repaired mi first and old NGC and installed a QooB SX on it. The thing is... The disc drive is really old (it is a DOL 001 NTSC machine) and I want to load games from de memory card slot using swiss. I was going to burn a bootable swiss disc and then boot it from the SX menu but I discovered this beautiful piece of software called IPLBOOT that can be installed as a "alternative bios of the QooB SX" (as I understand) thanks to this thread :

https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4715

So, I want to ask some questions about this setup.

First I'll need to create a miniDVD with de .dol that flashes IPLboot on mi QooB SX chip right? The dol in question is the one downloadable from here ?? --- >> https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/releases/tag/r5.2

If that is not the .dol could someone please link to me the right one?

Second: Once I get the bootable dvd y star QooB in flash mode, flash the IPLboot and then... The next time I boot the NGC instead the QooB menu the IPLboot menu will load as a default ? Or there is another configuration I must do?

Third: Once IPLboot is installed... How do I load Swiss from de memory card (with de SD on it) ?

Fourth: If all goes as planned, the disc drive won't be used anymore right ?

Thanks in advice !
webhdx

Re: Gamecube with QooB SX + SD Gecko ¿Flashing QooB with iplboot?

Post by webhdx » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Yes you need to boot a disc to flash QoobSX with iplboot. I highly recommend installing iplboot but keep in mind only the older version is compatible with QoobSX. It doesn't support SD2SP2 which means you need memory card SD adapter to load Swiss.
JPnintendo

Post by JPnintendo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:05 am

webhdx wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm
Yes you need to boot a disc to flash QoobSX with iplboot. I highly recommend installing iplboot but keep in mind only the older version is compatible with QoobSX. It doesn't support SD2SP2 which means you need memory card SD adapter to load Swiss.
Thanks ! Now I have a problem. I burned a DVD with the .elf file of IPLboot to flash it to mi QooB SX. It says GC Disc! The it opens a file explorer and when I press A it freezes on "Reading..." I think I am doing something wrong with de burn process. Or maybe the wrong .elf? (All this in flash mode pressing left on D pad on boot)
JPnintendo

Post by JPnintendo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:35 pm

UPDATE:
I was able to flash IPLboot on my QoobSX. But a bootable iso didn't work. All bootable ISOs I burned ended up in a "Can't boot non original game" error on QooB flash mode, but a simple data DVD created with IMGburn with de swiss dol and the IPLboot update.elf (with dummy files to get 1Gb of the disc used) worked !
First booted swiss then, from swiss booted the updater.elf and it did the magic.