[Screwed Up] Optical board damaged while soldering XenoGC

All your console related questions and answers :)
waltepegger

[Screwed Up] Optical board damaged while soldering XenoGC

Post by waltepegger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:34 pm

Hello Guys,

I'm new to soldering stuff and I tremendously managed to damage electrical tracks on the optical drive PCB (see pic) :
damaged_tracks.jpeg
pic
(163.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My question is, what can I do with it, now ? I already ordered another optical drive PCB but I would like to know, whether it could be worth the try to do something, in order to fix.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, guys.

wpgr
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: [Screwed Up] Optical board damaged while soldering XenoGC

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:39 am

It can definitely be fixed but given you didn't have the expertise to perform the modification in the first place you probably also (currently) lack the skills to repair it.

If you feel like learning/spending some time on it, watch some videos online on how to perform pcb/trace repair and experiment. Otherwise, it's a fairly cheap part, you might as well keep it around in case if you ever need any components from it.
vickdu31

Re: [Screwed Up] Optical board damaged while soldering XenoGC

Post by vickdu31 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:06 am

I also messed up quite a few baords trying to solder the chip directly (I never managed actually).
But using wires, I did about 6 successful installation. Your board is still functional but the Xeno most likely wont work on these pins.

Try to google for alternate points on the other side of the board and use wires!

I attach the classic way for the wires but you need to find the alternate points.

Normal way:
Install Guide.jpg
(450.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Alternate:
XenogGC alt point.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
AdHiIR5.jpeg
(4.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet