Constant Damaged Virtual Memory Card

All your console related questions and answers :)
Jaguar11891

Constant Damaged Virtual Memory Card

Post by Jaguar11891 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:36 am

Hello,

I recently got a GC Loader and am having a problem with the virtual memory cards where most games will say the memory card is damaged.

A lot of games like F-Zero GX, Crazy Taxi, or Sonic Adventure 2 Battle will randomly successfully save when prompted or will require multiple attempts to save correctly. A few games like Pokémon Channel save 100% of the time. And some games like Animal Crossing won’t save at all and will come up with the damage error and show as a blank tile on the memory card screen.

I have boot through IPL and Virtual memory cards enabled and when I format a virtual card it comes up with an error stating that the memory may have not been formatted and “The Object Inserted in Slot A cannot be used”. But upon a reboot or using the in-game reset feature, the memory shows up as correctly formatted.

This error also pops up when I try to copy save files from a real memory card to the virtual one and vise versa

I am currently use:
- GC Loader on 1.1.2 firmware with a 128 GB SanDisk SDXC card formatted as FAT32
- Eon GCHD MK-2 on GCVideo 3.0e hooked via Wii component cables
- SD2SP2 with a 4 GB micro SDHC Toshiba Card as the virtual memory card formatted (currently) as exFAT

I have tried formatting the SD2SP2 SD card as both FAT32 and exFAT, using the standard way and through diskpart. Errors occurred on both formats. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Extrems

Re: Constant Damaged Virtual Memory Card

Post by Extrems » Mon May 03, 2021 2:05 pm

I suggest trying to use a different SD card.
Jaguar11891

Post by Jaguar11891 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm

That seemed to do the trick. I was able to format 2 US, 2 PAL, and 2 Japanese memory cards no problem. I was even able to transfer my save data from the real card and they loaded correctly.

But now cheats aren’t working for whatever reason. I wanted to play F-zero AX to try to get back all the stuff I couldn’t transfer but the game still loads as F-Zero GX. I tried other cheats with other games (like 60Hz mode for Doshin the Giant) and none of them work.

The cheats were working before and they still show up when I press Y when selecting a game. I am able to select the cheats I want when I boot, but it loads the vanilla game.

They are in the cheats folder of the root directory of my GC Loader’s SD card.
Jaguar11891

Post by Jaguar11891 » Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 am

On an added note when I try to enable cheats, the game that I try tells me that I don’t have a save file on my memory card (even though I do) and asks to make another one. If I do, I end up with 2 files for the same game (I.e F-Zero GX.

Cheats seem to work again when I downgrade to swiss r1060.
retro

Post by retro » Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 am

I was having the same problems, constantly getting corrupted virtual memory cards when I was using a 2GB Toshiba SDSC card in SD2SP2.
All problems went away after changing to a Transcend 16GB SDHC card.
Maybe it's coincidental that you and I had SD2SP2 issues with Toshiba cards, but I think it doesn't hurt to experiment with a card from another manufacturer.