No disc error - adjusted pot and replaced laser to no avail

All your console related questions and answers :)
i2iot

No disc error - adjusted pot and replaced laser to no avail

Post by i2iot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:21 pm

I've been jipped twice trying to get a gamecube now.. both have the no disc error and behave identically. The disc spins on both units and the laser moves back and forth as well. The laser will then go to the outer edge of the disc and kind of clicks and the disc stops spinning after a few seconds.

Gamecube #1:
I adjusted the pot on one using a multimeter to around 250 and went up and down in increments of 50 but it did not change its behavior.

Gamecube #2:
One of the potentiometers gives widely variable readings on my multimeter which alternate quickly.. no idea what to make of that. With slight adjustments of the pot though the games would read but by the time I reassembled the unit it wouldn't read discs anymore. This was very frustrating as I took it apart 4 times and it would work for a couple of minutes before reverting back to "no disc".

I replaced the laser in it which did not change this behavior at all.

Any help would be very appreciated!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: No disc error - adjusted pot and replaced laser to no avail

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:27 am

Replace capacitors on one, as these drives sit above the heatsink the capacitors can get toasty and have a shorter life span. console5.com sell a kit for the disc drive.
i2iot

Re: No disc error - adjusted pot and replaced laser to no avail

Post by i2iot » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 am

Just wanted to follow up.. I ended up buying a couple of replacement drive assemblies from japan for probably too much. I'll try replacing the caps on one of them and play around. Thanks for your reply, sorry I'm responding a year later