Weird GameCube Power Issue

All your console related questions and answers :)
ApplesCats

Weird GameCube Power Issue

Post by ApplesCats » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:36 am

I recently got a GameCube, I'll note that I haven't yet taken it apart and done any tests, but will be doing soon when I get the time!
It's a DOL-001, and it has this very strange issue.
When you push the power switch it will either power on normally, or it will just run the fan, and it does this every other time without fail.
If you push it once it will power on fine, then the next it will run just the fan, then power on fine, and so on.
The GameCube works well enough for now, but I'm concerned about how it'll run in the future.
If anyone has any idea of what the issue may be or where i should look that would be great!!
I'll have the time to open it up and run some multimeter tests tomorrow!
Andross89

Re: Weird GameCube Power Issue

Post by Andross89 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:51 am

ApplesCats wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:36 am
I recently got a GameCube, I'll note that I haven't yet taken it apart and done any tests, but will be doing soon when I get the time!
It's a DOL-001, and it has this very strange issue.
When you push the power switch it will either power on normally, or it will just run the fan, and it does this every other time without fail.
If you push it once it will power on fine, then the next it will run just the fan, then power on fine, and so on.
The GameCube works well enough for now, but I'm concerned about how it'll run in the future.
If anyone has any idea of what the issue may be or where i should look that would be great!!
I'll have the time to open it up and run some multimeter tests tomorrow!
Are you using any modchips?

I had this problem with my two GameCube's with XenoGC installed. By the way, I made a topic about it I came to this forum and never got the answer. I only solved the problem when I bought my last GameCube with Qoob Pro.

It really seems that some component is not supplied correctly due to lack of energy. And my problem happened with games that used the GameCube's resources the most because they were the ones it made the most heat.

You can try something simple: Turn on the console with the laser and spinner disconnected and see if this problem persists. Maybe, just need to change the power supply.

And I also have this problem when after opening and cleaning my Gamecube. But it works correctly every second time I try after opening again. I'm always in doubt if this problem is due to a bad installation of Qoob Pro or the flat cable that connects the joysticks to the motherboard badly connected.

Good luck.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:44 am

I've had a GameCube do this but it was a picoboot install and someone had installed one of the wires in between the shielding so it was partially pinched and depending on how hard you'd screw the shell together it would boot lol
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:08 am

If you have a modchip installed, especially PicoBoot, check wire length. Similar symptoms occur when wires are too long and IPL patching fails.

Unmodified consoles can still refuse to boot when electrolytic capacitors inside have gone bad. WIth 20+ years of service, GameCubes are now very prone to power issues. In that case, replacing capacitors should fix booting issues.