Video Output for SWISS All Games Black Screen

All your console related questions and answers :)
Profeces

Video Output for SWISS All Games Black Screen

Post by Profeces » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:32 am

I know there's been many threads about this type of thing, but I've tried every potential solution in every thread that I can find to no avail. So, at this point I'm pulling my hair out (almost have an actual mohawk at this point) and really struggling to find a solution.

I have a DOL-001 Cube, however it is one of the later revisions without the serial port. It's been modded with a picoboot, and boots SWISS perfectly without issue. I'm using Helder's flex cable, so I know it's not an issue with cable length. The flex cable was actually a troubleshooting step since this same issue was happening with a direct wire solution (and the wires were not too long, barely 4 inches in length). If you want solder pictures, I can provide them, but I know for a fact this isn't the issue since I'm using the flex cable and I'm not a novice to soldering (also swiss boots fine every time anyway.) I've also tested the flex cable itself for continuity just to make sure there's no broken connections in that cable. There isn't, everything checks out.

I've tried two different SD memory card adapters, and 4 different SD cards which are all models that show they are compatible. Every game I'm trying is showing compatible too. Just for the sake of doing it, I've even tried downgrading swiss to the version listed on the compatibility form for the games, and the issue still remains.

I've tried using multiple different TV's and even connecting it to my capture card on PC, all of which just stay on the black screen after trying to load a game. I can boot to an actual disc both in and outside of SWISS, this issue is only happening with ISO's on the SD card.

I've formatted the cards using both exFAT and Fat32 and the issue persists on both.

I've tried dumping my own games myself and using tested ISO's from others that were "confirmed working" for other people, but not on my system. It's always just a black screen.

I've tried forcing every resolution that my displays are capable of within SWISS, and every time it's just a black screen.

I'm seriously at a loss at this point, and I don't even know what else I could try here. Anyone have any clue so I can regain, at least, some of my sanity on this?
Papy.G

Re: Video Output for SWISS All Games Black Screen

Post by Papy.G » Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:06 am

You have to try to run emulators from the SD cards, but at this point, it seems like you have a problem with your formatting utility; try to erase the full media, and format as one part where the first and only partition is the main big volume.
Other than that, it may be a Picoboot issue, where it answers on the exi bus even when the master didn't ask to it.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Profeces

Post by Profeces » Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:32 pm

After posting that, I decided to do a nuclear approach and test everything in another Gamecube. I removed the picoboot, installed it in the other and everything works flawlessly. All of the cards and adapters I have worked immediately. I re-install into this gamecube, and it's back to the same black screen issue. So, it's looking like it's an issue with the Gamecube itself, but I just have no clue what it coould be since disc games work, and SWiSS loads fine.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:36 pm

Did you try clean boot or disable video patches?
What does it do with utilities and emulators?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)