Using the Nintendo Wifi USB dongle as a soft AP

DS/DSL/DSi discussions here
BenoitRen

Using the Nintendo Wifi USB dongle as a soft AP

Post by BenoitRen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:39 pm

It's possible to use the Nintendo Wifi USB dongle as a soft AP. That means that you can use it for any device; no just the Wii and the DS. In my case, I'd like to use it with my PSP.

No matter how much I try, though, I can't get it to work using the guide you can find. I get as far as having my PSP to see an access point, but it never manages to connect, with or without security enabled, open or shared, IP address on the same or different subnet, and so on.

Here is one instance of the guide: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/390312

I have no idea what could be wrong, because the PSP's error messages are too generic. It just tells me that it couldn't connect and to check my security settings.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
BenoitRen

Re: Using the Nintendo Wifi USB dongle as a soft AP

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm

I figured it out thanks to a warning message that Windows pops up when you try to enable Internet Connection Sharing on an interface that has static IP settings. The IP address of the wireless connection has to become and remain 192.168.0.1. I always changed it so it was 192.168.3.1, as my Ethernet was in the 192.168.2.x range. Next, the PSP also has to use an address in this subnet, and use 192.168.0.1 as the gateway and DNS server.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs