Modifying a Non-Volatile Metroid Fusion - am I crazy?

DS/DSL/DSi discussions here
Diminuendo

Modifying a Non-Volatile Metroid Fusion - am I crazy?

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:21 pm

I have a copy of Metroid Fusion, and the SRAM battery has gone flat. Rather than replacing the battery I want to switch the SRAM to non-volatile

First I looked into transfering the ROM chip to a non-volatile. Sadly no non-volatile GBA games have 256k of RAM, and they all have drastically different boards, I didn't really want to risk a non functioning cartridge.

The next step was looking at the existing SRAM; the BS62LV256SC70, I have the datasheet here.

It seems this SRAM was used by Nintendo for not only GBA games, but Pokemon Gold and Silver as well. I remembered a BenHeck thread where someone recommended replacing the BS62LV256SC70 with the FM18W08-SG.

Looking at the datasheets both seem pretty identical functionally, and operates inside of 3 Volts, which the GBA supplies.

Am I crazy for trying this?
MockyLock

Re: Modifying a Non-Volatile Metroid Fusion - am I crazy?

Post by MockyLock » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't know if your crazy, but you're not the only one to think about swapping RAM chips :
http://www.dbwbp.com/index.php/10-elect ... memory-mod
It may have nothing to do with your project, but at least you'll be aware of this.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 pm

MockyLock wrote:I don't know if your crazy, but you're not the only one to think about swapping RAM chips :
http://www.dbwbp.com/index.php/10-elect ... memory-mod
It may have nothing to do with your project, but at least you'll be aware of this.
cool, I remember someone making one of these with a switch to swap between 4 savedatas
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:28 am

I didn't know about your switch mod.
I've done the mod i gave you the link, so i know it works.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:04 am

I have just attempted the mod.

installed the FRAM, Fusion would not boot, the game just hanged at the GameBoy boot logo

Removed the FRAM; game booted fine.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52 am

Re-installed SRAM; failed to boot, as the FRAM previously

Doubted the quality of my soldering and re-installed the FRAM, failed to boot

Removed FRAM, lifted top right pin from board (no biggie, it's just VCC and easily bridged)

Re-installed SRAM, failed to boot, realised the contact pins of the board was gummed up from the painters tape used to secure board

Used some clean and lube, game booted.

As the contacts were gummed up I can't confirm whether or not this mod works, but I would wager it doesn't, the contact only really felt sticky on the last install