NDS Opera browser problem

DS/DSL/DSi discussions here
Shinebi

NDS Opera browser problem

Post by Shinebi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm

Well, I'd received a 3-in-1 to replace my official Rumble cart and to enjoy GBA compatibilities.

- The Rumble works, I'd heard it's possible to set it in 3 degrees of strength, but have yet to check out GBAXploader or whatever it's called...
Didn't see any setting for that on the DSOne...

- The GBA part I've yet to check out, betting it would just work without problems.

- Now onto the tough cookie: the RAM modus. This thing works as is: thrown some homebrew at it and it's detected. Tried Opera: works also from try 1.
BUT, apparently I have to apply every setting and password for this app, as it doesn't seem to hold any saves??

If someone can give me an explanation on that one, it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried multiple times browing the net etc, but it just won't save. Am I missing something obvious, as does it need to HAVE a specific file name?
gtmtnbiker

Re: NDS Opera browser problem

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:03 am

Shinebi wrote: If someone can give me an explanation on that one, it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried multiple times browing the net etc, but it just won't save. Am I missing something obvious, as does it need to HAVE a specific file name?
It's RAM so no, it won't hold anything. I'm surprised that you're trying to use the browser. It sucks like it does on anything that's not a PC/Mac.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:34 am

Yeah, the browser is worse than internet 15 years ago :P
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 am

OK, thanks for answering.

I think I tried 3 different versions already... always the same result.
I find it quite strange though, as you can clearly set up favorites and a start page, it also saves some settings, so why would they even bother implementing to set these AND save if it doesnt hold anything in its memory?
I don't care about cookies, but come one, this is ridiculous: there's NOR RAM on it, so it should work...

Damn :/ It does work pretty ok IMHO (considering the platform and limitations).
I'll look a bit further into homebrew browsers, but most are discontinued.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:29 am

Perhaps it's the batterie of your 3in1. There's a good chance that your 3in1 was shipped with a half dead batterie. Or perhaps it just doesn't work as good as with the official browser.
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:53 am

- NOR RAM works: I already tried with a GBA game. I actually don't know if the browser uses this, but I suppose it should if it would use RAM to store settings, as the other type wouldn't work at all;
- PSRAM works: I already tried with a GBA game. Don't think that the browser uses this one, as it erases once the DS is shut down.

So, yeah, it might be the battery... but then again:
the 3in1 DOES hold my GBA save files (don't know for how long though), because when starting Rudolph's Exploader, I always get prompted to make a back up on the slot 1 device.
So I'm not really sure now. I've got a couple of test apps too, like MemTestArm and NDS SRAM Test, both work...

Also: the Opera browser creates a valid .sav file, it SHOULD actually read from this. That's why I tried different versions to compare the final result...

Any other way to test the battery without trial & error? Maybe I should try a multimeter on it?
Problem is that there's not much info on the official NDS browser cart itself to compare with... and google didn't show any hits for a similar problem.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:12 am

Well it seems that your batterie is ok (lucky you, mine was dead :P). What 3in1 version do you have? If you don't know how to identify the version, you can check here.
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:49 am

I found it strange at first that there are two versions around (cosmetically at least).
Original phat:

I bet the later version (which I have) is compatible with the DS Lite, as to not having to butcher the cart itself to fit in.

Tbh, I've never seen the 3in1+ around, the only difference seems to be double the NOR RAM, taht's all.

Regarding the actual Opera ROM:
The original would not boot at all (verified), because it needs the original cart (read that somewhere).
Then tried a patched one: boots.
Then found another intro hacked version: boots, but similar problem.
Got another one: dunno what version, but similar problem.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm

I see, I have a 3in1+ and it's a pain in the ass, because it is known as a trouble maker and doesn't work with many homebrew files (files have to be patched manually to work with a 3in1+ (there are two versions of the 3in1+, one with 32MB RAM and the other with 64MB). So I thought that you had a 3in1+ and that could possibly be the reason for your problem as I never got the Opera Browser with my 3in1+ to work. I dunno what the source of your problem is, sorry.
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:16 pm

On another note: trying to get the NDS backup tool to work.

At first I accidentally got the + version: didn't work, ditched.
Then got the regular one (0.31), wich boots but stays put at 'FAT INITIALIZE'...
I cannot seem to find an earlier version to see if this'll work.

Also, should it come with an ini file?
Because I didn't encounter any and am not sure if only the wifi version is provided with one.