IDE-EXI "v2" source

Support forum for the IDE to EXI adapter
emu_kidid
Site Admin

IDE-EXI "v2" source

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:28 am

A long time ago, isobel from gc-linux.com made modifications to the IDE-EXI vhdl to support DMA over EXI. This remained unreleased for a little while ~9 years (:P) since it had issues with the newly added multi word write command, but I've asked him at the request of others if it would be okay to release the files he'd worked on and he's agreed to.

Don't ask me how to use these, this is my complete project directory zipped up as it was since about 2012. You'll need Xilinx IDE/ISE to build it and then Xilinx Lab Tools - Impact to program it over JTAG to an existing board. The .ucf file is likely pointing at the pinout from my original batch of IDE-EXI's I'd produced and not the ones megalomaniac had briefly produced.

I'm releasing it with the hopes that someone makes a nicer version and maybe fixes up some of the issues that have plagued it (and also since Swiss has supported it for nearly 9 years too).
Attachments
IDE_EXI-v2.zip
(47.7 KiB) Downloaded 909 times
webhdx

Re: IDE-EXI "v2" source

Post by webhdx » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:50 am

Yes, it's finally happening! Almost 10 years in the "making" :D

I've asked emu_kidid to release it recently because I have an idea for it. I always liked IDE-EXI but I remember it was painful to use back in a day. IDE-EXI in current state is not interesting at all, no one is going to bother with IDE hard drives since we have cheap and more convenient SD2SP2 adapters available basically everywhere.

As I'm waiting for parts to arrive from China I need someone to report how v2 firmware performs against SD2SP2/SD Gecko. If there is a visible performance improvement then I'm willing to spend time on redesigning the hardware to be more usable in 2021.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon May 31, 2021 2:37 pm

I have both v1 and megas version if anyone I’d wondering the pin out for ide-exi v2 (megas) is around the GameCube marking on top of the pcb if you own one you know what I mean

But seriously guys ide-exi is dead even if firmware v3 came and fixed everything it the pure fact try to find a good ide hard drive and then power it with a power adapter it’s a mess but there was a time it was practical that time has passed and sp2sd sd gecko and not to mention wasp fusion which is the best GameCube mod period

I wish someone could clone the wiikey fusion wasp fusion that would be perfect and for portable builders the gc loader is great and all but the only advantage is the audio streaming feature and is over priced in my opinion but is the only option for ode on GameCube right now if you don’t have wasp fusion
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:34 am

andre104623 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 2:37 pm
I have both v1 and megas version if anyone I’d wondering the pin out for ide-exi v2 (megas) is around the GameCube marking on top of the pcb if you own one you know what I mean

But seriously guys ide-exi is dead even if firmware v3 came and fixed everything it the pure fact try to find a good ide hard drive and then power it with a power adapter it’s a mess but there was a time it was practical that time has passed and sp2sd sd gecko and not to mention wasp fusion which is the best GameCube mod period

I wish someone could clone the wiikey fusion wasp fusion that would be perfect and for portable builders the gc loader is great and all but the only advantage is the audio streaming feature and is over priced in my opinion but is the only option for ode on GameCube right now if you don’t have wasp fusion
Yes but the comment right above you is someone who is looking to make a SATA/whatever version using readily available converters to IDE.
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:07 am

Didn't want to reveal all the cards just yet but indeed I'm working on M.2 adapter. I've done initial tests some time ago:

And the setup has been proven to work great. We get slightly better performance compared to SD2SP2. By getting rid of all this cable mess it could make a really good contender to GC Loader. Next hardware revision will be much more exciting and it's already in the works. I'm waiting for prototype PCBs currently. Hardware is rather straightforward, some work needs to be done in Swiss as well.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:39 pm

I had begun work on the necessary changes for Swiss, but I got distracted with GBI.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:05 pm

webhdx wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:07 am
Didn't want to reveal all the cards just yet but indeed I'm working on M.2 adapter. I've done initial tests some time ago:

And the setup has been proven to work great. We get slightly better performance compared to SD2SP2. By getting rid of all this cable mess it could make a really good contender to GC Loader. Next hardware revision will be much more exciting and it's already in the works. I'm waiting for prototype PCBs currently. Hardware is rather straightforward, some work needs to be done in Swiss as well.
Yes! I'm currently running a SATA drive via adapters into IDE-EXI and want to pack it all in a GBA Player case that i have around...would be even nicer to use SSD/M2 :mrgreen:
I appreciate the effort you're putting into this and i don't think IDE-EXI is dead at all... and what's this WASP you're talking of? ... ;)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Don't ruin a GBP case just for this. Wait a little longer :)
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:32 pm

webhdx wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 pm
Don't ruin a GBP case just for this. Wait a little longer :)
well, it IS an empty case already, so nothing to ruin here ;) but INTERESTING CHOICE OF WORDS! :mrgreen:

webhdx

Post by webhdx » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:21 am

I'm super excited!

It works! Extrems did all the needed changes to Swiss in order to provide support for IDE-EXI over Serial Port 1 so he is the real hero. He did that without having the hardware and it worked first try.

There are some issues with the board but I'd say pretty minor:
- wrong M.2 footprint
- I used some thick tracks for 3.3V line but I need to make a huge plane instead to give the linear regulator enough surface to dissipate the heat (it gets burning hot right now)

I will make another revision next week which should fix both issues.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:40 pm

Nice work to you both, it's nice to see hardware & software come together across multiple people to achieve something like this. I'm excited, time to be on the lookout for a "cheap" M.2.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:26 am

Amazing! That looks so cool

yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Sounds realy cool. Will there ne any files, schemes or anything for rebuilding for "normal" people? :D
webhdx

Post by webhdx » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Normal people would rather prefer to buy complete units :) Building it yourself would be quite difficult, it uses a lot of 0603 parts and some fine pitch ICs. It requires a lot of experience and some lab equipment like a microscope. For now I haven't decided to release it open source but there is a slim chance if I can't source enough parts to build and sell it.

Here is the new board revision. I had to change linear regulator used previously, it was generating a lot of heat. New switching power regulator supplies 3.3V@2A from 12V rail :) The thermals are under control now. I kinda love the matte black finish, in black Cube it gives that stealthy look. I'm looking for a black SSD next :)

BTW. Extrems updated Not64 to be compatible with M.2 Loader. Need to test it soon.
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:01 am

I realy hope you get it man.

This is a realy cool project would say after swiss one of the best. Would buy one when you have finish your work.

Great job
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:50 pm

I’ll take a m.2 loader when/if available
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 am

Waiting for the "bUt HoW tO uSe BbA wiTh tHiS" comments :D

Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 pm

That adapter can probably be routed via SP2 as well, so the SP1 would keep free.

Time to design an SP1 to SP2 stackable bay. :mrgreen:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:51 pm

liquitt wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:00 am
Waiting for the "bUt HoW tO uSe BbA wiTh tHiS" comments :D
InTeGraTE a BbA clOnE inTo it!
Dampro

Post by Dampro » Sun May 29, 2022 3:18 am

wow ! :o incredible, great work ... is amazing to see that ide-exi, a project born about 10 years old, still alive !!! :D

definitely I want one ... :D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:17 pm

Dampro wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 3:18 am
wow ! :o incredible, great work ... is amazing to see that ide-exi, a project born about 10 years old, still alive !!! :D

definitely I want one ... :D
Good to see you're still around! I still remember following your original guide where you took the IDE port from an old motherboard lol (found the link: http://gc-forever.com/gchdd/build.htm)
yo1dog

Post by yo1dog » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:55 am

Very cool stuff.

Way over my head but; if Extrems was able to port IDE-EXI to SP1, could the same be done for SD support? SD2SP1 perhaps? ha

I assume not. I only ask because I am considering modding an SD adapter for sd2sp2 functionality to my DOL-101. The M2.Loader sounds amazing but I'm guessing it will be outside of my very frugal price range.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:50 pm

The SP2 has been ripped off the DOL-101, but there still has pads internally, no need to make an SD2SP1 adaptor.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:21 pm

A SD2SP1 is entirely possible, but I'd rather not. Serial Port 1 is annoying to handle.
Dampro

Post by Dampro » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:45 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:17 pm
Good to see you're still around! I still remember following your original guide where you took the IDE port from an old motherboard lol (found the link: http://gc-forever.com/gchdd/build.htm)
Yeah ! :D

I recently see good things happen in gamecube scene, (ex: picoboot) and want again to recicle some old hardware from other consoles for use in gamecube... let me see.....