Cheapest way to get homebrew onto a GameCube?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
MaxwellMiky

Cheapest way to get homebrew onto a GameCube?

Post by MaxwellMiky » Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm

So from my research, there seem to be a lot of entry points into the GCN to run homebrew. However, all of them seem to require various amounts of cash to get up and running, and it seems all very confusing. I triec checking out GC-Forever, but they didn't seem to have a straightforward guide and there's way too much stuff for me to get a firm grasp on.

So my question is this:

I have a copy of Pokemon Colosseum and XD. I also have a softmodded Wii. I don't mind soldering.

What is the absolute cheapest way to get homebrew up and running so I can do things like play backup games and run the GB Player without the startup disc?

Would it be a XenoGC + an SDSP2 + an SDGecko? Or something else? Ideally, I'd want this to be a set-and-forget type of setup, where I do it once and I won't have to worry about having to use something like an Action Replay to boot into homebrew. But I'm also a cheap ass and I don't mind having to do DIY or wait for parts, if needed.

Just a bit overwhelmed with all the methods currently available lol.
Diego borella

Re: Cheapest way to get homebrew onto a GameCube?

Post by Diego borella » Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm

this should help you to get to the Swiss.

https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... =39&t=3319
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 pm

MaxwellMiky wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm
I have a copy of Pokemon Colosseum and XD. I also have a softmodded Wii. I don't mind soldering.

What is the absolute cheapest way to get homebrew up and running so I can do things like play backup games and run the GB Player without the startup disc?

Would it be a XenoGC + an SDSP2 + an SDGecko? Or something else? Ideally, I'd want this to be a set-and-forget type of setup, where I do it once and I won't have to worry about having to use something like an Action Replay to boot into homebrew. But I'm also a cheap ass and I don't mind having to do DIY or wait for parts, if needed.

Just a bit overwhelmed with all the methods currently available lol.
Based on you owning those 2 Pokemon games, the cheapest way would be:
Memory Card + SD2SP2
If you go this route you'll use the Wii (softmodded) to put the necessary files on the memory card, there's many yt videos on how to do this.

If it annoys you too much having to boot into Pokemon to then boot homebrew, then the following isn't far behind in price:
XenoGC + SD2SP2 + 8cm DVD-R (to burn swiss onto)

I've been meaning to write up an exhaustive guide but can't find the time.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm

The Wii doesn't have to already be set up for homebrew, as GCMM can be launched from the letterbomb exploit. ;)

Don't know how this works with the PokéMon, if you need to load in game as for the former zelda hacks, maybe one of the cheap FPSs will do better (can be had for 5~10€ each on flea market). It may avoid the risk and hassle of modding the console (and play with the pot) and properly burn the DVD.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)