Swiss questions

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
ThatOneGuy

Swiss questions

Post by ThatOneGuy » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:14 pm

So yeah I just joined a little bit ago and was hoping to get swiss up and running on my cube.

So I have a 2gb sd card, memory card adapter, sd2sp2, and a 256gb micro sd for the sd2sp2.

I was hoping to use my action replay to load swiss but I'm kinda unclear on the exact way to do so. So I guess I put swiss on the 2gb sd card in the memory card slot and the codes that is supposed to cause the action replay to glitch out? I guess I'd need the action replay codes. Not sure where to get those exactly.

I searched a bit and found a thread from like 10 years ago and wasn't sure if it would be relevant still or not.

Hoping I have everything I need to get this going. The main thing I want to do is rip my games to the card in the sd2sp2 to preserve the disc's and hardware itself.

Just hoping someone can tell me if this is correct or not. Also I'm unclear about the formatting too. I've seen fat 32, but I've also seen fat 16 on the sd card in the memory card slot not sure which one to use. I guess that goes for my game storage card in the sd2sp2 as well not sure which format to use.

Any help is appreciated.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss questions

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 pm

To do it you need an old enough action replay where you can add your own codes. If it's really new it might just support booting DOL files from the 2GB SD Card like SD Media Launcher does.

If it's old enough and it lets you add codes, you need to add a 29 line code which will read from the SD card, but the SD card itself must be pre-prepared in a special way.
This page here covers everything: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=SDLoad
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:11 am

This is great information thanks! Yeah my action replay is an og from back when it came out and has the ability to have codes added to it. I'm not sure which version it is, but yeah I can add codes.

So I patch the sd card with sd loader and also have swiss on the card and then I'll have the ability to choose the sd2sp2 and load games from that afterwards?

I guess the only thing I'm not clear on is the format of the card in the sd2sp2. Does it need to be fat32 or fat16? Also can I pull the sd card with swiss out after booting it up or would that potentially damage the card containing swiss?

Thanks again for the great info, now I just need to find time to tinker with this stuff.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:56 pm

If you ever find yourself owning one of the exploitable games, you'll be able to setup something more straightforward to boot swiss directly from the sp2.

If you only want to use isos on the sp2, with swiss on the sdgecko, go for exFat, if you want to boot swiss from the sp2 off a game save exploit, stick to Fat32. There's no use for fat16 on the sp2, while it may be mandatory to use older homebrew from the sdgecko on smaller cards.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:07 pm

So I can boot swiss off of the sd2sp2? I do have windwaker, would that be simpler to do?
Ironcraft456

Post by Ironcraft456 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:09 am

Do believe you need a hacked memory card to use Wind Waker or whatever other game to boot Swiss. There might be an option to somehow connect your GC memory card to PC at this point to put the hacked save on, but I wouldn't know if it exists. Other option would be PicoBoot. No hacked memory card required there.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:35 am

You just need an extra memcard where you won't save wind waker game progression, and a way to write on that said memcard.
There is no such PC memcard reader, you need to run GCMM either on a GC with action replay, or on a Wii with the letterbomb exploit.
Once you have put the corresponding save exploit and boot forwarder(dolauncher) on the memcard, you just have to put swiss and cleanrip on your big sd card, then you'll be able to backup your games to it.
Unless you use a game exploit, it may be wise to still boot swiss from the sd gecko, if you want to keep the bigger card safe and clean.
You may want to shrink your isos to the smaller useful size, nkit will help you at that.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:35 pm

Learning a lot here! I'll attempt one of these methods soon, thanks everyone for the info!
ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:00 pm

So I am just now getting around to trying the sdloader thing out. I put swiss and sdloader and the sdloader.dol files onto the sd card. I've tried to type the command prompt thing into my laptop a million times and it doesn't do anything no matter how I type it.

Then I noticed that I could right click the SDpatch file on the sd card and run as administrator. I tried this too and nothing happens so I'm just stumped. I just wanted to load a card up in the sd2sp2 slot and mess with some games/rip some of my discs to the card but I can't get it to work 😫
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:59 am

Double-check the hard and soft requirements in the link emu_kidid suggested. Keep in mind this method is from before the SP2 and Save Exploits way were discovered, so you can only use an SD adapter in memcard Slot A, the AR Memcard has to be in Slot B.

I've heard of 2GB cards that were SDHC, don't know if it is true, you may check on yours (or use any SD you have between 1GB and 64MB, smaller won't work if formatted in FAT12, default formatting in Windows).

SDLoader has to be .bin extension, not .dol.

Some SD memcard adapters are not fine-tailored enough to plug all the way in smoothly, so you have to force a little, you can compare with a memcard to see if it gets deep enough, and can disassemble it to file the sides of the PCB where it plugs in the console's connector. I had to do it on the two last WiiSD I bought.

When all this raindance is done and you get it working, you'll be able to set up a Save Exploit for WindWaker and enjoy its ease of use.

ThatOneGuy

Post by ThatOneGuy » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:05 pm

Ended up getting a windwaker memory card and booted swiss that way. Thanks for the help answering my dumb questions ha ha. If I think of any more I'll post again.
durgsa212

Post by durgsa212 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:41 pm

ThatOneGuy wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:07 pm
So I can boot swiss off of the sd2sp2? I do have windwaker, would that be simpler to do?
i think Yes, you can run Swiss (homebrew software for GameCubed) using the SD2SP2 adapter. Choosing to use Wind Waker's Savegame Exploit to load Switzerland on your GameCube is a much easier method for running homebrew. Discover new possibilities and features for the GameCube with Swiss! thank you