clone/fpga gamecube console?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
weekendgamer

clone/fpga gamecube console?

Post by weekendgamer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 pm

how soon do ya think a clone/FPGA GameCube console will come out. I say within three to four years once the development of the system hardware and better features like an HDMI output, internal/external memory cards of stock Gamecube card to sd/micro cards, design of a smaller and slimmer model of the console and last a build-in GBA attachment without a disc. also, make the console an open-source so added features can be put on the console. but i do want to see the console run off its hardware chipset then an emulation since the retro pie/retroarch is in works of a Gamecube/Wii emulation on their software in the raspberry pi hardware (mainly the model 4 since it got more memory and better graphics chips).

so let me know what ya would like to see in a clone/FPGA Gamecube console?
Papy.G

Re: clone/fpga gamecube console?

Post by Papy.G » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am

Looking backward, I personnally think previous consoles' FPGA implementations always lacked functions that you may need at some point, and just rely on good emulation on "desktop" OSes/systems or eventually get back to the real hardware.
Why do you think consoles over 25 years old see their price trending to be higher and higher?
For example, there are plentyful of nice options and alternatives to play gameboy games, emulators, hardware retro-compatibility, mini handhelds… Still, you can't get a loose DMG for less than 30 bucks!

The best bet for the processor would be to lay the PPC core along with the GPU on the same wafer, and maybe the memory too, or piggyback it, since PPC cores can be tailored fitted on a chip. While you have a bunch of peripherals on the GC that you would need to implement or keep connectors for the sake of "connectivity". Keeping the GBA compatibility would be worthless, since there are very good emulators around for it, or would be too expensive if you plan on beeing fully hardware compatible.

The technology to build a GC-Mini is already there, the fact it is not made is the rate between cost that is too high nowadays (mass memory, computing hardware…) and need (Old cheap systems availability) for it.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)