Flash Swiss on XenoGC modchip?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Undead Sega

Flash Swiss on XenoGC modchip?

Post by Undead Sega » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi everyone,

Really big fan of the hard work that has been done for Swiss, especially now the visual look of 0.5 :)

I was wondering, is it possible to have it flashed to a XenoGC modchip? i.e. replacing the code in the IC and wired to the board thus having the system boot up straight to Swiss instead of the bios and without a bootdisc.

I have read scribbles around other forums of the possibility, but there's no tutorial/instructions on how to do this and if it's compatible with all hardware.

Hope you don't mind me asking! :)
Papy.G

Re: Flash Swiss on XenoGC modchip?

Post by Papy.G » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:41 pm

Already discussed on many threads, if you can feed executable code to the CPU, you'd better just load the needed part to run a boot forwarder off a memcard (no specific code for the various FAT support as it is ROM based) since Xeno memory won't nearly be big enough to fit the compressed version of SWISS.

The pro is you won't have to flash any updates to the chip.

The con is you may lost any chip function such as progressive scan forcing, region free loading, but you'll get them back from SWISS anyways.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:41 pm
Already discussed on many threads, if you can feed executable code to the CPU, you'd better just load the needed part to run a boot forwarder off a memcard (no specific code for the various FAT support as it is ROM based) since Xeno memory won't nearly be big enough to fit the compressed version of SWISS.

The pro is you won't have to flash any updates to the chip.

The con is you may lost any chip function such as progressive scan forcing, region free loading, but you'll get them back from SWISS anyways.
I believe I may have came across some of these threads but it seems they don't clarify much info behind the matter or any sort of method for one to try it out (I also want to see if it works on Panasonic Q).

But what I'm understanding from what you are saying, I the XenoGC won't be the best fit for Swiss flashing because of it's small memory, thus a lot of the features/functions (that you mentioned) won't be included, am I right on this matter perhaps?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun May 02, 2021 8:55 am

The XenoGC memory is too small to embed the usual hack code (needed for 480p forcing, and other things the Xeno usually does) and the boot forwarder at the same time.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Undead Sega

Post by Undead Sega » Sun May 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:55 am
The XenoGC memory is too small to embed the usual hack code (needed for 480p forcing, and other things the Xeno usually does) and the boot forwarder at the same time.
Then is it not possible to create a new XenoGC (i.e. DIY XenoGC clone project) to include/replace the chip to have bigger memory?

More or less a modification to the original modchip :)