Swiss version 0.6 is released

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Diego borella

Swiss version 0.6 is released

Post by Diego borella » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:40 pm

well she is there. Version 0.6 was released by EXTREMS! :D

things really evolved when Extrems committed to the Games patches. :geek:

new functions and ways of writing are improved. :!:

we must expect great discoveries in the future.

Users we will test and send feedback. :arrow:

Download https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... =25&t=4726
SWISS USER :geek:
retro

Re: Swiss version 0.6 is released

Post by retro » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 am

Awesome!
Can't wait for GCLoader 2.0.0 to get out of Beta :)
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:40 pm

Diego borella wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:40 pm

things really evolved when Extrems committed to the Games patches. :geek:

new functions and ways of writing are improved. :!:

we must expect great discoveries in the future.

Users we will test and send feedback. :arrow:

Download https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... =25&t=4726
Words cannot express how thankful i am of all the contributors to this wonderful software. In my opinion the Gamecube is blessed to have the best guys working on the best homebrew for any system. I 100% believe that's true. Thanks guys for all the hard work and dedication.

This thing is so polished now. It was always great but had some bugs here and a there like crashes and stuff but man its getting pretty air tight.

The only thing thats really left on my wish list is game specific memory cards for the virtual memory card function. That is a game changer.
retro

Post by retro » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:05 am

Kobeskillz wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:40 pm
The only thing thats really left on my wish list is game specific memory cards for the virtual memory card function. That is a game changer.
Indeed!
This has become essential on my PS1, and I hope to see this feature on the GameCube one day.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:28 am

Once the feature has stabilized. It's a trivial UI change otherwise.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:40 am

Aren't virtual memcards 2043 blocks? Who needs more on a daily basis?

I personnally think having more virtual memcard files would lead to quite a mess to manage, what would be even nicer would be virtual memcard interfacing straight use of save.gci files off the SD when saving on a per-game basis.

That was my two cents, as I have one 251 Blocks for my zeldas, FFCC, and SMS (corresponding to an 8GB SD where I backed them up) plus exploits and bootexec, and one 2043 blocks with wayyy enough save space for what me and my son are playing (plus one 2043 semi-defective for testing/backup purpose), so I never used the virtual memcard feature. I'm quite concerned by disk fragmenting and SD lifespan, so that's another good reason why I never did.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:31 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:40 am
I personnally think having more virtual memcard files would lead to quite a mess to manage, what would be even nicer would be virtual memcard interfacing straight use of save.gci files off the SD when saving on a per-game basis.
Do you have any idea how complicated that is?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:55 pm

That was just thoughts. :P

I'm still in a learning process for low level programming, but I have a slight Idea of how complicated it can be, especially when there doesn't have any spare ram on the system available to build up a game-dedicated file allocation table. ;)

But you (SWISS programmers) made wonders passing so many huge obstacles than we sometimes tend to believe nothing is impossible. :mrgreen:

What I don't catch, is how much a file redirection would be simpler when it comes to a whole memcard image than just a file.
When you do memcard emulation, you redirect a file call to a filesystem (Memcard file allocation format), in a file (the virtual memcard image file), in another filesystem (the SD file allocation format)? On the paper, can't it be on par with redirecting a file call to a filesystem translated to another file system, if the file is already in the expected format?

Do games care of the rest of the memcard's structure once they've been given the file they seek for?
Aren't .gci files the exact file image from the memcard's filesystem?
Can't we predict what save file the game will expect?

Just questions out of curiosity, I don't want to sound rude or over-expecting. :oops:
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:22 pm

It's very simple since all we do is emulate the hardware device. We know nothing about the filesystem.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:48 am

I think the whole question is as follows...
the review of DOL 101,
where SP2 was removed, is the hurdle ..
because memory card management through SP2SD2 is brilliant. No problem ...

about the possibility of a Swiss work, where each game receives an MCV
Well I think it would be really interesting; but then what would it be like? because if the IPL is disabled the Swiss calls the corresponding MCV. And with the IPL there goes more memory? :?:

if the person has more than one console and multiple versions of NGC; ...
it would be nice if the Swiss could Pull a PAL IPL over a DOL 001 JAP for example... or vice versa. SD work
:idea:

so that the collection is protected against wear and tear...
SWISS USER :geek:
Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:24 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:40 am
Aren't virtual memcards 2043 blocks? Who needs more on a daily basis?

That was my two cents, as I have one 251 Blocks for my zeldas, FFCC, and SMS (corresponding to an 8GB SD where I backed them up) plus exploits and bootexec, and one 2043 blocks with wayyy enough save space for what me and my son are playing (plus one 2043 semi-defective for testing/backup purpose), so I never used the virtual memcard feature. I'm quite concerned by disk fragmenting and SD lifespan, so that's another good reason why I never did.
I think its about file limits. After 127 games then that's it. You can't use the physical or virtual memory card even if it has empty blocks.

A lot of people have a lot of games and switching between different cards is a pain.

This feature for a unique card for each game would be soooooooo good man. Can't wait for these amazing contributors to figure that out. : )

Or activate it once its ready for prime time.
retro

Post by retro » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:28 am

I saw v6.0r1290 was released last week, and one of the lines mentioned the old legacy IGR combo is restored.
Does this mean the new IGR combo of A+Z+Start is no longer valid?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:43 am

They're both valid.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:26 am

retro wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:12 am
Awesome!
Can't wait for GCLoader 2.0.0 to get out of Beta :)
Any idea if that will ever happen btw?
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:03 pm

I wasn't aware of the 127 files limit on the memcard, so after a little reflexion, per game dedicated virtual memcard file seems the smarter way to go.
Do we know of the maximum gc game's savefile size, so that the virtual memcard files may be set to the smaller useful size?

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 pm

Those options will come once memory card emulation has stabilized.
retro

Post by retro » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:01 am

Extrems wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 pm
Can't wait for this!
Sketcz

Post by Sketcz » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:07 am

Diego borella wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:40 pm
Do you or anyone else know how to boot Swiss from a standard memory memory card using Action Replay?

I made a topic, but it hasn't got much attention:
https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... =16&t=5166

I want to boot from a memory card instead of the Action Replay SD dongle adapter, since it's a bit rubbish. Is it possible to copy AR files to a standard memory card so it loads the media menu?

I currently use the Paper Mario exploit, but since my game is NTSC it takes extra long to load via Freeloader.

I need a quicker solution.

I hope this question makes sense?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:21 am

There's so much more possibility booting swiss off an sd card adapter, just get another one WiiSD or sd2sp2 from anywhere, and a cheap exploitable pal game, 007 or a splinter cell.

Sketcz

Post by Sketcz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:24 am

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:21 am
There's so much more possibility booting swiss off an sd card adapter, just get another one WiiSD or sd2sp2 from anywhere, and a cheap exploitable pal game, 007 or a splinter cell.
Thanks for the reply. What sort of possibilities?

At the moment I boot it from the memory card using Paper Mario exploit, then once Swiss is loaded, I access various GC games on my WiiSD in Slot B, which has a 32gig card in it.

I could just put other homebrew on Slot B and boot it from there if I wanted, surely?

I'm curious what sort of extra benefits booting Swiss from SD card provides, given that I can just put other homebrew in Slot B? Is there more functionality when Swiss is on SD card?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 am

Nah, just thought you wanted to boot from memcard without any kind of SD adapter, so you hadn't been able to save SWISS settings.
You just need a boot forwarder (dolauncher) along with the exploit on the memcard, so it takes less room than SWISS itself, and you can update faster from your computer.
Yes you can boot from slot B card, and put your emulators too (beware, some homebrews don't support either Fat32 or HC SD, or both).

Kobeskillz

Post by Kobeskillz » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 pm
Game changer!!! I can't wait for this amazing feature! So awesome.
johw1984

Post by johw1984 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am

There's something very promising the webhdx developer is working using a Raspberry Pi Pico board to boot straight into swiss without disk.
will it be compatible with memory card and sd2sp2? does anyone know how to say
Crashelido

Post by Crashelido » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:26 pm

Good morning everyone and thanks to the developers for keeping Swiss updated and I have a question about how to load the cheats. since the last swiss updates, the folder where the cheats were supposed to go, sd:cheats/IDGAME.txt, doesn't recognize them anymore and I'd like to know if any of you know the new path to make the cheats work, thanks.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:28 pm

It's /swiss/cheats/.